Upgrade from game pass standard to premium deluxe

No, no mention of that. My game pass is due to expire next week so I’ll know for sure but will expect a refund given the advice I was given.

It is my understanding that if you buy any upgrade and cancel gamepass, you will need to buy the standard version to access the upgrade.

The idea is that Microsoft doesn’t want you to cancel Gamepass, so if you do you will need to pay $20-25 more for the premium/deluxe premium than you would if you bought it without gamepass as a “punishment” for leaving.

It’s explained in this thread:

The wording is also extremely misleading in the description of the product you are about to buy in the in game marketplace:

“The premium deluxe edition includes everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator plus 10 additional highly accurate planes”

Microsoft really needs to make clear that you need to purchase the standard edition to use any upgrades you purchased for the Gamepass version. This is really cynical stuff.

Sure, but multiple people are saying they’ve contacted MS on this today and apparently MS has been saying the standard is indeed included in the upgrades from gamepass

1 Like

From the response that support gave donka73, it sounds to me like support didn’t really understand the question. Notice they said “should”.

That answer is contrary to what Microsoft has in their FAQ.

As soon as there is clarification that these upgrades are actually the full game, I am going to buy the premium deluxe.

As it stands now from what Microsoft said in their FAQ, I would never give them money for such a cynical and misleading ploy.

Thanks, yeah it seems pretty unethical at worst, and at best a little bit tacky. I would’ve thought they’d understand their own pricing a bit better lol.

I’m with ya. And I agree with the response for donka. There’s another fella on here, Griphos. He seems to have been very thorough with MS. Check out this thread. I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-does-a-premium-upgrade-cost-more-than-a-premium-deluxe-upgrade/157012/15

The very least they should do is let all of us who listened to their misleading/confusing answer from support and bought the premium deluxe for 85€/$ from the marketplace, to only pay the difference (should we decide to unsubscribe from gamepass that is).

Honestly if they just charged $40 or $60 for the upgrades for Gamepass users just like they do for normal users none of this would be a problem.

It would also be fine if they required you to purchase the standard edition if you leave gamepass, and there would be an incentive there to not leave gamepass for everyone who paid $40-$60 for their upgrades.

Why are they punishing Gamepass users when they are trying to grow the service?

What they are doing here is just so scummy.

Are you sure it’s cheaper for standard users? Last time I checked it seemed to be the same, unless you bought the full bundle from the beginning.

Actually the price I’ve seen for standard users, and for Steam users is Higher. So I’m not sure this argument stands up.

I’m using the standard edition on game pass. I would like to purchase deluxe. What’s the best way to go about this? I’m not a techy person so not sure if by cancelling the subscription will this automatically delete all the install files? Then ill purchase from store and re install? Cheers

It clearly says that you get everything. If I don’t get the standard version with this purchase it is false marketing.

Just wait for donka73’s outcome a few posts above. I took the risk to upgrade and now I am sitting on fire… :anguished:

I tried it on game pass for a week before deciding I wanted the whole package then went on to purchase the premium deluxe edition from the Microsoft Store for £109 once paid for opened up the simulator and it installed the updates to the package and is now a standalone version free from game pass subscription.
If you buy upgrades on a game pass and decide you no longer want to subscribe you’ll have to purchase the standard version to get your upgrades to work.

I haven’t upgraded yet. My sub renewed on Wednesday so won’t be purchasing the full game or an upgrade for another 3 weeks at least. Still need to spend some more time with it as I encountered a few issues/bugs I need to workaround first.

So I actually purchased the standard edition of the game… it’s not clear how to “upgrade” to the premium edition or is the answer that we pay an extra $25 ($85 that it shows in marketplace) for it?

Yes. To upgrade from Standard to Premium Deluxe is $85. THAT is the one you want - it will include the Deluxe AND the premium upgrades in 1.

Be happy you didn’t buy the Deluxe up front and want to now upgrade to Premium Deluxe…that would be more upfront, and even more to upgrade for the last 5/5 items!