Upgrading GTX1070

Hi gents,

A new year has come and with that come new funds :).
I’m looking to finally upgrade my GTX1070,however,funds aren’t as deep as i would want :p.

My current specs:
Aorus Z390 Pro
I7 9700K overclocked to 5.0Ghz
16 GB DDDR4 @ 2133mhz
GTX1070 4Gb
600W PSU

I have around 450-500€ as budget to spend so after a bit of wandering around,i seem to settle around a 3070/3070TI/second hand 3080.
Would these be benificial for my setup?Also is there any gain on going for the 3070Ti instead of the regular 3070 or vice versa?I do understand that if going to a 3080,i’ll need to upgrade my PSU as well,but for the 3070,i think i’m still good with my current one.

The goal would be to have a smooth,visual to the high/ultra experience at 1440p.I also fly in DCS and there i feel my GTX1070 is running behind.

Any tips/guides/hints are very welcome!

Kind regards,
Steven

A 3080 for that price would be good athough as you say your PSU won’t be enough. IMO a non ti 3070 might just be ok but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I’d like to keep my PSU for now as that will keep the budget i have open for a GPU.Otherwise i’ll have to downgrade that too.
Still wondering though if a 3070Ti makes a lot of difference over a regular 3070.

Yeah allready know that ;).The card will fit,but indeed a new PSU will be needed.

1 Like

Before you even decide to upgrade your GPU consider getting a PSU with at least 750w which is recommend for the 3080.

If you decide to get the 3070 600w is cutting it a bit too close. The 3070ti is even worse as it’s more power hungry and 650w is recommended for the 3070 unless you have a really good quality 600w PSU do it at your own risk.

You may find some good deals on RTX3080 and 3080ti on Hardwareswap via Reddit.

That being said I switch to an AMD GPU. Happy with my upgrade. Looks like no one so far on this thread has any experience with AMD. My RX6800 cost me $500 new and it’s delivering exceptional performance @1440p. No driver issues either. :slight_smile:

Not enough overhead IMO, 850-900W would be more like it. MSFS will severely test any hardware.

1 Like

I partially agree. I have a 750w PSU and have no issues.
Again it depends on the quality of the PSU. Have had 850w that would shutoff under full load.

1 Like

Of course, nothing’s ever guaranteed
And in my experience it’s usually the PSU that ages faster than everything else especially here in Europe where we use 240-250 volt mains. Nowadays I always go large

So basicly,it would be better to first upgrade my PSU?

As for the GPU then: any advantages besides the faster memory of the Ti?
I never used any AMD GPU,so kinda in the unknown there…

Personally,i think going higher then a 3070TI isn’t going to work for me due to the lower spec CPU/RAM that i currently have.

True, it will work and give more fps but at the cost of reduced LOD, traffic etc. However you should also be considering any future upgrades for your other hardware e.g. your mainboard is already limiting your PCIe lanes. It always helps to have a general plan of what comes next

Could explain that pls about the limit in PCIe lanes?Would this play a big factor or…?
Never took this into consideration actually.

Each chipset can only supply x amount of lanes and newer gpus can use up to 16 of them leaving the rest to be shared between drives and peripherals. Without knowing your mobo’s exact config I can’t say if you are currently impacted but I think I can safely say you wouldn’t quite get max performance from a rtx 3xxx series gpu. I think it would only use 8 lanes at most which for the most part is fine for the vast bulk of the work but there would always be that missing bit extra for when needed most.

Is there any way i could check this?

1 Like

Not easily. You would need to research the spec of your chipset and everything attached and literally count the lanes but even when they are shared it’s not as if e.g. a drive can’t be used fully when the other drive is idle.

Of course if you do take the plunge and upgrade your gpu then worldwideweb benchmarking comparisons can soon tell you how much you are missing out on… or not as the case may be.

might be worth considering 2080ti too, older card but equivalent to 3070 roughly

also sidenote, 2133MHZ RAM can be a huge bottleneck. will probably want to get that sorted as well

I have a RTX 3060 12gb which is paired with a 9700k @5GHz on a z390 Asus Rog strix gaming MB and I use a 650W PSU. At 1440p I get great performance in the TBM.

I would think a RTX 3070 non ti would be good enough.

I’ve looked at the bottleneck calculator mentioned elsewhere in the forums and I have a 0.7% bottleneck with my setup, so I’m happy with what I’ve got.

There are zero issues using a 30 series card with a z390 MB.

Go for a 3080 with 12 GB. 12GB is very important for msfs.

I think this is overplayed when a low end rig can actually run on just 2GB and an Xbox X on 8. I suspect confusion arises because of (fairly) recent video memory leaks causing indicated usage to overrun and ultimately CTDs.

At 1440p there shouldn’t be.