USA Update: The Gulf of Mexico Oil Rigs

I found them while helping out a user who couldn’t find certain POIs from the USA World Update.

The Globe Map doesn’t show an exclamation point for them, but I figured there’s hundreds of them off the Louisiana shore, let’s just fly out and find some.

Sure enough, launching out of LaFourche (airport/heliport made famous in the movie Deepwater Horizon), I flew South and slewed a bit, found a whole bunch of them right around:

28° 49’ 30.11" N 90° 5’ 3.96" W

One of the screenshots shows a VFR map if that’s helpful.

15 Likes

I’d love to see some shots with a little weather… major wind/waves perhaps?
Just to see.

That big H is just teasing everyone desperately clamoring for helicopters. I bet you could park the Shock Ultra on there though. Or that Caravan if you cheat with a headwind lol.

1 Like

Helicopters - absolutely! :slight_smile:

@JimSim831 - give it a go - you’ve got the coordinates now!

Wait… that headwind will likely give me the surf shot I’m looking for too.
Gotta play with this weather stuff more.

I bet someone somewhere will manage to land the 747 on one of them too. can’t be much shorter than Lukla :smile:

I tried in the XCub but I just clipped through the rig. No landing, no collision. :slight_smile:

There is a whole bunch of them closer to the coast if you head 160 degrees south from South Lafourche airport. I reached them in less than 15 minutes in a Cessna 152. Nice short flight, great suggestion!

They are fantastic!

Found a butt load off of Galveston (KGLS) . Depart runway 14 straight out and not too far you will see a cluster of 15-20 rigs.

1 Like

They are not landable, flying helicopters all the time here. Who placed them in MSFS? They should contact the chap who did all of northern Europe to make tem usable.

Nice shots! We just need a little wave action!

Sadly even after official helicopters introduction, those oil rigs near KGLS are still not landable :frowning:

1 Like

Are there any oil rigs on the Xbox version? Been flying around but can’t find any.

Why even MAKE them if you can’t land them? Total waste…

3 Likes

I was surprised they teased the oil rigs in the trailer for the helicopters in the 40th, but didn’t go back and update the one asset so you can land on them :wink:

I had to add pads w collision manually for CA / AK Oil Rigs…

Santa Barbara Oil Rig placements » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Alaska - Cook Inlet Oil Rig placements » Microsoft Flight Simulator

…and rumbaflappy made a script to add collision to all the Gulf of Mexico Oil Rigs ( along with H Pad start markers, post SU11 ) The zip file is on his post with the screenshot of the default oil rig POI.

Warning - if you have a helicopter selected and go to the Gulf in the World map - it will kill your FPS in the menus. ( thousands of H makers )

SU11 Helipads | FSDeveloper

1 Like

Spend a good amount of time finding and flying around these rigs off the coast of Galveston and Houma/Lake Charles, LA, and yeah, not one has any sort of collision whatsoever. I’m with Chatty here: why even bother to make these if they can’t even be used?? They’re decent models and even have half-way decent night lighting as well, so its baffling to me that even after someone taking all that time to build them into the sim and not take the extra 5-10 minutes to add collision and/or make them usable.
Haven’t looked for those in the North Sea or off the coast of KSBA though, but I imagine the same lazy genius didn’t bother to update these either.

These Points of Interest were introduced in in World USA Update 1, when helicopters in the sim weren’t even a possibility at the time. So it will take time to enable collisions I imagine.

There is a Wishlist Item you may want to participate in:

1 Like

Hi Casual,

Thanks for the response! And my apologies for sounding crass, I didn’t realize that these had been in the sim for so long. I’m guessing that they might’ve been either overlooked or there just wasn’t the time to update them to a usable state before the 40th Anniversay release.
I’m on XBOX so I’m unable to download the mod for this, but I will absolutely cast my vote.
Even though helis are in their infancy in the sim, I’m excited about their potential, and IMHO updating the Gulf Coast/North Sea/California etc. rigs would add a facinating mission set for them.
Aside from combat, to me, supporting the offshore oil/gas industry, has to be one of the more challenging and facinting mission sets for helis.