VATSIM / IVAO / PILOTEDGE Users - Be aware of an important bug!

Awesome explanation that I think most people will understand that better.

The temperature effect has been disabled in the hotfix so in MSFS temperature does currently not have any effect on altimetry.

Could you imagine the craziness that would ensue because of temperature impacts if we had supersonic airplanes in MSFS?

1 Like

Yeah, noticed that. Did a few flights since sunday, no extensive temps at high altidude, flying right now and its back. However, we know whats going on and that it will fixed somewhen. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if its just me but all the flights I’ve made so far with SU5 the OAT / SAT did not change. Yesterday OAT was 16C at ground level, during level off it was still 16C. Anybody else seeing this?

Again wrong topic. Pls go there:

Not “again” wrong topic, I’ve already asked the same question at a bunch of similar threads. Just wondering if someone here is seeing the same considering a lot of people who actually know what they are talking about have posted in this thread.

1 Like

Still, wrong topic.

I’m pretty sure you will get your answers, if you actually read the according topic (see above).

You mean going through all 600+ posts, I will when I have the time. The new hotfix coming does not answer my question, I don’t see temperature “spikes” at high altitude I just don’t see the temperature changing at all from ground level up to cruise.

Yes, this appears to be the essence of the problem. The surface temperature data from real-time airport METAR reports is getting mixed into the predicted upper level temperatures from the MeteoBlue model. The bug only happens when flying in the vicinity of airports reporting METAR data. If you fly over the ocean, well away from any airports, the temperatures aloft will be fine.

1 Like

I guess, you’re used to other people doing your job. Let me help you:

No not really as you can see below I can do my own research.

I’ve seen multiple threads on this issue which all seem to describe a different issue I’m seeing. I’ve missed @HalberQuacky post indeed.

(post deleted by author)

Sadly, it’s not unfortunate, it’s negligent.

I know all about these bugs and how altimetry works but thanks for the info. Two issues were tightly related before the last hotfix as they’ve disabled the temperature effect now with the hotfix, temperature indeed doesn’t influence altimetry anymore.

I’m not aware of any QFE error, the altimeter does read correct now at field level since the temperature effect got disabled, furthermore FS2020 does not give QFE? I assume you mean QNE (1013.25 hPa / 29.92 inHg) bug or in other words, pressure altitude bug.

Density altitude is not the issue here as its only important for aircraft performance (it is an issue but not related to altimetry) so thats off topic. What is relevant for this topic (or was relevant before the hotfix actually) is the temperature effect on the indicated altitude which is not the same as density altitude. When you correct for this temperature effect as you do in real life with OAT at the altimeter setting source is < 0C you will get the true altitude not the density altitude. Density altitude has no use in altimetry.

Yes the initial release of SU5 had this implemented but it caused such big errors in altitude that they have disabled this effect last hotfix. The effect can be very significant at high or low temperature (low temperature being the dangerous one), but has no effect on QNH or QFE. QFE is the pressure measured at aerodrome level and thus the altimeter reads zero with QFE set. QNH is derived from the QFE and via ISA calculated to sea level, since the altimeter is calibrated via ISA the temperature error at altimeter setting source is zero.

1 Like

Respectfully, it might be better to let @anon50268670 continue. He is one of the original discoverers of both the altitude and temperature bugs, despite there now being 100s of threads on the topic.

3 Likes

Thanks but I didn’t discover the bug(s) I believe @AwarePlot117729 already filled these bugs long time ago!

2 Likes

You did the investigation! And I said “one of the originals”

I don’t remember the details ; ) but something about a spreadsheet and flyovers at various altitudes seems to come from the recesses of my mind…

2 Likes

Happened just an hour ago from LOWW to LIML in the FBW. Butyes, the last days, it did not happen to me. Guess something triggers it or they are changing around to test, who knows… :slight_smile: