VATSIM traffic, lights don't sync when connecting

I did some testing, found that if I send the SimConnect command to set the lights immediately after the aircraft model is created, the command seems to be ignored by MSFS. I have to wait a few seconds before sending the command. I am reaching out to the developers to see if this is something that can be changed such that it accepts the commands immediately. If not, I will build some delay into the system as a workaround.

14 Likes

I can also now confirm that Swift is a great alternative. The model matching is far superior to vPilot, in fact it’s so good I have yet to see a default AI Asobo model on Vatsim and the lights work!

The setup is a pain, but doable with some patience. Once it’s setup, it’s great. I wish I had known about it a year ago as that would have saved so much pain trying to figure out vPilot model matching.

6 Likes

Yup, tried Swift and agree with all the comments here, it’s an excellent client. Wish I knew about this client earlier.

it’s opensource as well which is great if things breaks or stops working.

2 Likes

Vpilote update…does this update fix issue

These are the changes:

1. Fixes a bug where the “Flash taskbar on SELCAL” option had no effect.
  2. An incoming SELCAL will now also show a message in the messages area.
  3. Support for the new longer controller callsigns

So…nope.

As others have mentioned above, I can also confirm that Swift is a great alternative to Vpilot not only because the lights work properly, but also because the model matching is miles ahead - not a single Asobo default model spotted yet. The setup was indeed a bit tedious but there are some helpful videos on Youtube. Apart from no sound notification for Unicom messages, I really cannot see any downsides on using Swift over Vpilot so you should definitely try it out!

3 Likes

use swift!
Its a little bit “work” to install but has incredible functions and lights are working perferct
Model matching with aig aim is very simple and correct!

4 Likes

I’m now working directly with the devs on this issue so I should know more soon.

8 Likes

yep that problem lastest too long, I think it’s time to try Swift!

Use Swift. Setup is a hustle but then it works great and the model matching is far better!

Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised when all the IAG stuff I download was mapped already for model matching and ready to go in Swift

1 Like

It’s worth a try, if you have problems join Swift’s discord server they’re very helpful :grinning:

Can anybody link a YouTube video on setup for this swift client please?

Here is their documentation for installation:
https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=installation_and_configuration

Video tutorials here:
https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=tutorials

If you have problems, join their discord server they have a MSFS2020 support channel, invite link here: Legal stuff

1 Like

I have it installed done that when I read about it here, but the user interface is confusing as heck, never done a flight online with it yet,

I don’t see msfs in the options anywhere but p3d and fsx . I see models in the list tho that I have installed

UI is confusing at first, but it’s gets better

If you click “settings” and then “simulator” you should see “Flight Simulator 2020” that you can tick

I just put out version 2.8.4 of vPilot, where I added a simplistic workaround for the lights issue. With this version, when an aircraft model is added to the sim, vPilot sets a 5 second timer, and when those 5 seconds elapse, it turns off all lights and then 1/10th of a second later, it turns on any lights that should be on.

So, with this workaround in place, 5 seconds after the aircraft is created, any lights that are already on will briefly turn off then back on again. From that point forward, the lights should behave normally.

I’ve been in communication with the Asobo dev team, and they will make the necessary changes in the next update. Since we don’t know when that will be, I thought it was best to release this workaround in the meantime.

If this workaround doesn’t help, please let me know. It does the trick on my system, but if you have a slower computer (or a slow hard drive) and it takes longer than 5 seconds to load an aircraft model, then the workaround might “fire” too soon and you still won’t get lights for that aircraft.

13 Likes

Works well with AIG some not showing taxi lights but that could be a model issue

If it’s showing some lights, just not the taxi lights, then yeah, it’s probably a model issue.

Yeah I thought that might be the case, but still seeing nav lights etc, helps massively and can now see traffic at nighttime.

Thanks for supplying the fix and adding back some immersion it’s appreciated the work you do for the community

1 Like