VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

Hi all !!

No, nothing in the Community folder. With or without addons, the error persists. No systems overclock at all.

Getting the dreaded CTD when passing an exact location, every single time. No addons installed.

Takeoff from SBGO Rwy14 (Brazil) on MOSNA1A departure, with a “not very performing aircraft” (I’ve notice if you overfly the CTD location VERY high, you don’t get the error). Try with the 172. After passing GO014 waypoint, 38.4nm to NIMVA, boom, you CTD. It happens EVERYTIME.

The only noticeable difference is that a few times, let’s say 1 out of 5, the error description in event viewer is grammar.pggmod instead of VCRUNTIME140.dll

i7 4790K / RTX 3090
1.15.8.0 - MS Store Version

Thank you for your feedback. I remain convinced that the vast majority of CTDs are caused by bugs on the map.

Other than that, with your I7 4790, your RTX 3090 has a bottleneck.

thats interessting, because these error points often to a repeatable issue with the map at these position.

Hi @ZaZa747

I can confirm the map bug:

tried two times

Route : GO014 → NIMVA

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.15.8.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: grammar.pggmod, Version: 76.0.0.3, Zeitstempel: 0x6062f188
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005

crash:

Time for a ZenDesk Ticket…

But as mentioned,

• the VCRUNTIME140.dll is normaly because of another reason.

Yes, the other reason being the calling method. Without the call stack, it’s hard to point to the offender but I can tell you that in more than 90% of the time, the offender is the RenoirCore::Path::Create method in MSFS. It’s calling memcpy (memory copy) with a null pointer. This is 100% the MSFS fault (in fact the library it’s using).

I investigate every single CTD I have with my debugger. The other most occurring issue an unhandled exception with a grammar in their Azure speech engine library.

I am assuming you have passed this info on to Asobo? Considering the ease of trapping nulls when you are calling a function. I am surprised this has not been fixed yet.

EDIT:

OK answered my own question.
@StopHalfling310, you do realize you could be the savior of all on this forum? If you have truly found the ‘golden fleece’, I might suggest you tell the developer. We could name the next hotfix after you.

2 Likes

The very likely receive crash reports through their telemetry or simply via the Windows crash reports system. They are for sure aware of this.

And yes, there are very few excuses to let a process crash for this. Exception handling is not something new. Again, this is, I think, in a library from a 3rd party (originally Edge Case Games, now acquired by Wargaming).

about these we spoke allready here:

Might be a good idea that you explain how other users can check that your assumption is correct that 90% of the VCRUNTIME140.dll message coming from the “RenoirCore::Path::Create”…

This assertion is for my setup and I never stated this is happening for everyone else.

If someone wants to investigate their crashes, you have to instruct Windows to create a core dump upon an app crash. This is done through the registry.

Then, when you have a crash, you have to use a debugger to load the dump file (.DMP) and look at the call stack of the offending thread.

You can use any proper debugger for x86/x64 processes. Microsoft Visual Studio is very popular amongst developers (not free except for the Community edition). Microsoft WinDbg from the Store is also an interesting alternative (free).

Still having …140.dll issues in VR with G2.
x570
21.4.1 drivers RX 6800 xt
R7 3600x 32GB
Win10 20H2 19042.964.
I note that in the SYSTEM logs just 2 seconds prior to the freeze and CTD that there is a WARNING event 4101 - display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Anyone else noticed these ? As my search on amdwddmg finds nothing. Anybody getting them on newer/older AMD driver ?
I also found a discussion about this error happening to somebody playing COD/warzone and Rainbox Six/seige

Pretty sure that 99.9% of all vcruntime140.dll crashes happen 3-5 seconds after a GPU driver timeout. I have never seen anything different. It doesn’t seem to be VR specific, as I’m getting the same crashes with the same GPU (6800XT) without having VR. I have tried all AMD drivers from November until now with no success and of course I’ve never had a single issue in any other game except MSFS.

1 Like

For my part, I am 99.9% convinced that any vcruntime140.dll crashes that occur 3-5 seconds after a GPU driver expires are only a consequence.

The real cause is a bug on the map. And France, because I fly there often, is full of them. The worst part is that the Asobo studios are in France, in Bordeau more precisely
We can see a hanging balloon at this address 44.85026613522873, -0.5715156730831282

If I compare these bugs on the card, with our old CDs or DVDs, which could get scratched, as long as the read head did not reach the fault, everything worked perfectly.
Here, it’s the same thing, as long as you don’t fly over one of these bug areas, you may never have a CTD.

I experienced this with a person who did not have a CTD, I asked him to do a flight on a course on which I still had CTDs. He also had CTDs.

Now I could be completely wrong, and I would admit it, if they prove to me that I have too much, by giving me a miraculous solution.

1 Like

It’s probably a generic MSFS error that can occur under lots of different scenarios, because most of the CTDs I get since I upgraded to 6800XT are in the main menu and not while flying in any map. On the other hand there are plenty of users who have confirmed that they get these CTDs at specific map areas.

Every time I get a VCRuntime error my Radeon software is at fault. I have verified this in the Event Viewer, and by the fact that the GUI for the driver usually fails to load after a VCRuntime crash. Additional verification comes from the GPU reporting 99% load at idle.

That said, the error seems to occur roughly (or sometimes exactly - can be replicated) in the same place on the map.

1 Like

Exactly the same symptoms here, but what troubles me is that this is happening with all AMD driver versions that have been released in the past 6+ months, even the ones that worked OK with R9 290X but throw the vcruntime140 error after I upgraded to a 6800XT in March. Also the same error occurs even without installing any AMD software (ie. Adrenalin) but only the driver itself. Obviously I’ve only seen it happening in MSFS as any other game is unaffected. So it’s most likely some conflict between the GPU and MSFS.

But it’s not isolated to AMD as even people with Nvidia get the driver timeout error, followed by generic vcruntime140 crash. And it’s not isolated to a particular place in the map (at least not for me), as I’m getting the exact same error in the main menu, when taxiing or flying with various aircrafts in various locations while some other aircrafts never crash at all anywhere in my map (e.g. C152/172, Just Flight Arrow etc). It doesn’t make sense.

Interesting about the JF Arrow. I have yet to experience a CTD event flying that model.

Conversely, I had three CTD events flying the Carenado Seneca V the past three days; two pre-update and one post-update. However, all three were “classic” failures not related to the VCRuntime140 error.

This software keeps “a lot of balls in air” when it is running (pun intended) so I’m not surprised that all the wrinkles have yet to be ironed out. It’s a work in process… and most days I have an absolute blast without encountering too much turbulence!

:slight_smile:

So it would seem Microsoft Support arent even replying now to support for VCRUNTIME140.dll CTD they told me my problem was Visual C++ Redistributable and I should reinstall it and then marked it as case closed, In the end, I reinstalled everything (Windows & MSFS) without any results Still CTD, I got back on to support and haven’t heard anything from them for 5 days, I give up at this stage

The vcruntime140 error we’re getting in MSFS seems to be catch-all thing caused by a memory violation or something similar. It’s so generic that updating anything that has to do with VC++ libraries will do very little to very few people.

I doubt MSFS is dependent on the version installed in Windows anyway, as it seems to be using its own internal VC++ libraries (there are people who have completely uninstalled these libraries from their systems and they still get vcruntime140 CTDs). The workaround suggested by Zendesk/MS/Asobo Support may help in some cases for some weird reason but I doubt it covers more than 1% of all vcruntime CTDs, probably less than that.

3 Likes

Same here for me.
CTD randomly with en error in my event log from the VCRUNTIME140.dll.

like @Zeppos, you own a RX 6800xt .

As we mentioned before, the VCRUNTIME140.dll is caused in most cases from : VCRUNTIME140.dll Error - #213 by MichaMMA

Thus, may be Zeppos can help you with hint for howto cooling your RX 6800xt in a correct way ( in another thread you mentioned issues with that already ) , which driver version works fine, other 6800xt monster issues :slight_smile:

PS.: and don’t forget… this thread is not for VR users