VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

It’s a B450, the motherboard does have the ports, but there’s no GPU on the board itself, for those to work it needs a CPU with integrated graphics (which I don’t have).

Only change since I was running without crashes was that I installed software for my VR headset, but neither the software is running, nor is the headset connected.

Gotcha.

If you installed VR software then have you tried uninstalling? Registry changes and drivers can have an effect even if the software isn’t running.

No changes. I’m even running Windows Build 1909, and have auto updates shut down with Policy Manager. I have Azure turned off. I have multiplayer turned off. I have my rolling cache set to 64GB, with the hope it limits network calls. (I tend to fly in the same geographic areas.) I have background tasks shut down (think things like Google’s Drive and Microsoft’s OneDrive.) The only software I have running other than MSFS is Little NavMap.

I’ll try rebooting the router… you’ve got me curious about that.

Every day before I start MSFS, I check the Microsoft Store for any updates. Some days there aren’t any and sometimes a number of updates are downloaded and installed. I usually don’t pay attention to the downloads because most of them are junk bundled into Windows. However, recently I’ve noticed that updates to the C++ Runtime Libraries have been downloaded. And today I saw an update to the DirectX Runtime. These downloads are not listed in the Store anywhere and I haven’t found any logs for these downloads. I have NO information at all that these downloads have anything to do with MSFS.

A number of people have said that they haven’t changed anything but are now having problems. But Microsoft has been making changes to our computers “under the covers” without telling us why these updates are happening. It may be coincidental that some CTDs are somehow related to runtime library updates but coincidence is not correlation. I don’t know if C++ libraries are used by MSFS but DirectX is.

Hi @MortThe2nd, @Roland7807

to be sure: can you have a look at the timestamp from these file ?
Or also checking Programme/Feature whether the c++ lib was updated in meanhwile ?

Having the VCRUNTIME140.dll issue constantly, whether running in flat-screen mode (either full screen or windowed) and VR (HP Reverb G1 Pro). I’m using an i9 9900K and 2080ti, every other title works fine.

Have been trying to fix this for about three days now, I’ve done everything mentioned in this thread, including uninstalling all previous .NET installations and doing a clean install, fresh install of Windows 10, fresh install of MSFS20, overridden graphics to max performance in nVidia panel, etc. Nothing works.

1 Like

After the latest update, I keep having ctd just moments after takeoff due to vcruntime140.dll. This is frustrating because the system is 4 weeks old and was running fine before the msfs 2020 update. Any suggestions?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon 5700xt
32GB memory
512GB SSD 1TB hard drive
msfs 2020 on SSD

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2021-01-05 12:58:30 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-JAS76D3
Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29231.0, time stamp: 0x5f4c66c9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001550
Faulting process id: 0x3b88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e33fea84059e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: d3258743-c80f-4815-8303-da9c6629af7d
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Get into START/Device Manager/Display adapters and double clik AMD Radeoan RX 5700 XT; then Uninstall device; restart PC and let Windows rebuild the driver; check the WINDOWS driver version 2-12-2020 version 27.20.145002.208. Don’t let AMD push you any driver update and remove the AMD folder from C:
(I assume you have W10 updated already)

I can’t find that driver version 2-12-2020 version 27.20.145002.208. Do you have a link where i may download it from? Yes, I have Win10.

Thanks

There is no link; after uninstalling the current AMD drivers (see previous post), Windows will install the drivers.

What he means is that the driver version windows installs is different than the one you listed in your earlier post.

I tried the same while troubleshooting, and Windows will install the 27.20.1034.6 driver version, not the 27.20.145002.208 you mentioned in your post.

Hi @Roland7807 and others using non MSFS default content:
Just a reminder about the Bugs & Issues category:

The purpose of the #Bugs-and-Issues categories is to discuss issues that affect the base simulator (MSFS default content). Please do not discuss issues with third-party addons, or modifications in this category.

If you believe your issue may be caused by a third-party addon/mod, empty your community folder, restart the simulator and try to reproduce the error.

All issues caused by, or involving third-party addons/mods should be reported to the third-party developer. All issues related to the core simulator (MSFS default content) can be formally reported through Zendesk.

Can you confirm that it is Windows installing this? Do you know if it comes from the MS Store or Windows Updates? I’m also taking notes on this error. :wink:

Do you also get the error? If you have AI Traffic on, can you turn it off and see if the error continues?

100% confirmed; removed AMD drivers with their tool, deleted the AMD folder on my C drive, and manually downloaded and installed the drivers through Windows Update (I don’t use MS Store).

I never use AI traffic, only Live traffic.

2 Likes

Hi, sorry, so does this work with this solution?
With which TOOL do you uninstall the AMD driver?
And …sorry, which version of the drivers do you install manually?

Thanks in advance
Bye Massimo

no, it didn’t work for me, but maybe it will work for you.

But here is the tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601
And the driver I just let windows install, and then checked windows update (optional updates); should be an updated AMD graphics driver there.

Thankyou, I will try …
in this way but you have lost amd catalyst control center. … right?

Massimo

yep, but I don’t really use that for anything anyways.

well, Some good news at last.

I have no clue what changed, but just as sudden as the crashes started, they have stopped again.

Managed to do two 300 miles flights (for the Jack of all planes achievement) in a row tonight. Did the Extra 330 and the VL3. Both pretty long flights (for non AP aircraft), and no issues in either flight.
Hope it stays solid.

Only thing that I did notice is that the Oculus Link software got an update last night, maybe that fixed it somehow. VCRuntime is a weird beast.

1 Like

I’ll raise my hand to that! :raising_hand_man:

3 Likes