VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

And sadly it’s back again, right at the end of an 8 hour flight. :frowning:

Same here. Can`t fly. Hope for a Fix. For me this Trouble startet with the last big Update. (The one includes the VR)

After last update had some nice 12hr flights without issue then two days of many CTD VCRUNTIME errors, some 8hrs into flight and some 10 minutes. Very strange since I have made zero changes to setting or PC. This build does seem to be much improved though performance wise.

The Exception Code: 0xc00000005 is the code for “Access Violation”, which means that the application tried to read or write to a memory address which didn’t belong to it. VCRUNTIME140.dll is a library of common functions that C/C++ applications can call. The Fault offset gives you the relative virtual address of the faulting instruction. The nice thing about the c runtime dlls is that you get symbols from the Microsoft symbol server with line names and line numbers and if you have Visual Studio, then you have the crt source code as well. Looking at some of these crashes, they are mostly doing memory copies of various flavors and walking off the end of buffers.

Unfortunately, the logs themselves aren’t going to be too helpful because memory copy functions are going to be called far too many times in too many contexts to be able to know what higher level call was responsible for triggering the bug. Asobo would need a crash dump (a mini dump would probably be sufficient) to track down the issue. The mini dump would provide a call stack, which would inform Asobo as to what part of their code was responsible for calling the memory copy incorrectly and triggering the crash. Depending on what is going on, it could be possible to determine a likely cause of the crash without having access to Asobo source or symbols by examining the memory being copied at the time of the crash. That would require a full memory dump. It is possible that the contents of the memory might be recognizable, which could suggest a possible cause.

Generating a crash dump requires turning on a some registry settings and is described here. Be aware that generating crash dumps takes some time. Mini dumps get generated fairly quickly, but a memory dump will have to write some 15+ gb of memory to your machine. In any case, if you turn this on and FlightSimulator.exe crashes, it will appear that the application has hung while the OS is writing out the dump.

It may be that Asobo is starting to capture crash dumps. I saw something in my event log recently that suggested that could be the case. However, if I were consistently getting crashes like this I’d still create a Zendesk ticket and attach a crash dump.

1 Like

This is a very good description of the situation. I have been hoping to have the error occur since I started working on a solution. I set up to capture a dump. Feel like I am fishing in a barrel without fish. Have not had a CTD since installation so it may be a while before I get the dump to analyze.

I have a suspicion however that either memory or memory controller stability may actually be flushing those buffers before the call is made. Otherwise this error would be affecting WAY more systems.

Ah, after days of no issues with VC runtime dll… i am happy to say its back… I really enjoy getting ready to descend into the destination, only to be booted to desktop nearly every flight now.

1 Like

I was 1:26 into a flight to Baghdad this evening in the A320 … no issues whatsoever, but as I was descending I clicked “Terrain Radar” on the cockpit panel and it instantly CTD… not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but things were going very smoothly up until that point.

Checked application error log and sure enough, VCRUNTIME140.DLL

Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=FlightSimulator.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=1.12.13.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=5fda3fe4
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=VCRUNTIME140.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=14.27.29016.0
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=5ee8384d
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=00000000000014b4

May have triggered a response from a ground based Radar Guidance Defense System. :wink:

Likely not a coincidence. The VCRUNTIME error is the result of a number of as yet undetermined causes, but one of the most common is a buffer overrun or an invalid memory register call. I am seeing more and more of these triggered “on descent” or “on approach”. This is a moment of increased workload for the system. As altitude decreases LOD goes up, proximity to the airport requires more graphics, etc. The addition of an added task in the middle of all that could cause a ‘cough’ in the memory. (Only a theory so far). This could result in a call to a null pointer. CTD.

Just out of curiosity, were you using any sim rate acceleration prior to the CTD?

2 Likes

No, I never use time acceleration so that’s not a factor :+1:

1 Like

Thats what I thought also. My Vram use always sits around 7.7-7.8 Gb since the last update. When the sim crashes (including the AMD display driver), MSI afterburner shows 7.99 Gb Vram use prior to the crash. When I lower the settings Vram use is still too high.

Do you have this on or off?

Thanks, that graphics setting seems not present on my W10? Only the lower part ‘Graphics performance preference’

Running Nvidia or AMD?

AMD R5700XT, Windows also updated to latest version.

1 Like

Too bad. :slight_smile:
Nvidia also has a PhysX setting that offloads some of the Vram load.
There may be a similar setting in there may be something in Afterburner but it’s been a while since I used it.
Maybe take a look and see if you can shift some of the load to the CPU.

The GPU Scheduling of that screen capture that @willisxdc posted, came out with Windows 10 2004. What version of Windows are you on?

Hi, on the latest version: 20H2

HAGs will be avaiable only if your driver is up2date. If you not see it, your driver is possible older than 20.5.1 beta.
(https://www.amd.com/de/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt)

BUT: at least for NVIDIA I can never recommend to enable it !

And… what is the issue with usage of 7.99vram related to a card wiht have 8Gig Vram ?

I has a similar problem with the same error code.
I tried everything, including uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

The only remedy that ultimately worked was to “deeply” uninstall and manually reinstall the graphic card driver (RTX 2070 in my case).
To uninstall the drivers I used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) available here:

The uninstallation has to be performed booting in safe mode; do not forget to download the last version of the drivers before uninstalling.
Disconnect internet, so that Windows do not try to automatically install its own drivers and then reinstall the drivers you downloaded. It worked for me, I hope it will work for you too.

we allways assume “no installed mods” and this thread is not about these or other mods :slight_smile:

Discussion about Third Party Addons can you find here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/third-party-addon-discussion/216

1 Like