Very basic questions about VR before I press the pay button on a Reverb G2

I have a G1 and 2070 super and its fine. Obviously don’t get super frames on MSFS but on Skyrim (with 2020 graphics enhancement) and Alyx I can turn everything about all the way up and its smooth.

This exists. It is called flashlight or spotlight on the G2 (i don’t remember exactly). I think you can assign it to a button on the controller, and it’ll show a camera view in your VR. Check user guide or search and you’ll find it.

2 Likes

I got VR working finally, was fairly easy to get it smooth. I turned most everything to medium and kept the res at 100.

Very good frame rate, graphics looked good except the resolution was poor. Color/contrast poor. Those VR lenses just can’t compare to a nice gsync 2650x1440 monitor. It was a novelty and fun to do once. I’ll likely never try it again. When I went from VR to the monitor again it was jaw droppingly smooth and sharp. Maybe someday there will be VR displays that can compete… but as a artist, photographer, retired… quality visuals are manditory.

Thanks, will definitely get that to work then. I often hit pause before going from 2d to VR and then can’t find the pause key, lol.

While waiting for my second Reverb to arrive I did a bit of research and came across a whole set of videos titled HP Reverb Bite Size Beginers Guide. These videos should be supplied on a disc with every Reverb sold and also every other make of VR set. For non-techy and first time VR users such as myself they are a godsend. They explain in very simple language and with plenty of video exactly how to set up the Reverb from unboxing through to fault finding. Highly recommended for anybody like myself just starting out with VR especially the Reverb

1 Like

I have bound pause to gear 3 of my thrustmaster H shifter, which apparently I am not using otherwise for flying. This one I really cannot miss, whether blind folded or VR.
It is a great help and I would instantly actually SLAM pause in, when again somebody approaches me from behind, just to tell me ‘all fine, don’t worry, just keep flying’

1 Like

Just for information the 1650 does work with WMR and the Verb 2. Unfortunately, when I ran FS 2020 on it I got bad motion sickness! I have held a pilots licence and flown a lot in the real world including basic aerobatics and never ever had motion sickness in my life before. I can only put it down to my eyes telling my brain one thing while my body is telling it another. So it looks like the big monitor route for the moment.

You could have gone around the earth 4 times with your car and a small trailer of 300Kg / 661.387 lb
But if you hook a 20 ton trailer to your car. The wheels of the trailer might turn, but you won’t be able to go to the end of the street.

Maybe a little late now but I’ve been through that scenario. The GTX1650 is not supported by the Quest 2 and it doesn’t work.

I’ve done some research and eventually decided that the GTX1650 is not good enough for VR on anything so for now staying 2D until cards get reasonable again.

It’s not for lack of telling him …

Not sure what part of my posts that you did not understand. But I used the 1650 on a Quest and no it did not work and looking at the specs for the Quest it is not on the approved and tested list of cards. That I found out the hard way. I then tried it with a Verb and WMR and yes it did work without any problems with the game running at medium level. The problem that I had with the Verb was that for some reason I got motion sickness when I flew a plane. This I assume would have happened regardless of what make of card was in the computer or anything else to do with the computer. It was purely a physical reaction on my behalf and nothing to do with the 1650 or the Verb and is as I now know not all that uncommon. That by the way was from HP themselves when I contacted them for a return. But thanks any way for the replies I have now ordered a 35" curved screen LG monitor and will settle for 2d for the time being.

In VR if you don’t have a powerful enough GPU, to have a certain frame rate per second, it can cause motion sickness.
Even with an RX 6800 XT in airliners. I have never been affected by motion sickness, but others would be ill.
Some people get motion sickness, even with large GPUs. So if without knowing it, you are subject to it, the performance of 1060 should have done nothing to arrange things.

VR as you have seen, for what little has tested, it’s great. Since I touched it, I have never played a game on a screen again.
My goal was not to prevent playing in VR, but to make you understand that at the moment, you did not have the best configuration to enjoy it.

You should also know that little by little, you can apparently get used to it and no longer have motion sickness.
I know someone who couldn’t drive 50 meters in a straight line without wanting to throw up. Now he can do airplane loops without any problem.

Maybe an Oculus Rift S with a resolution of 1290 x 1440 per eye would have been less penalizing for your GTX 1650.
I just spent 5 years with an Oculus CV1 which only has a resolution of 1080 x 1200 it was already quite good, and very immersive.

Thanks for that. The whole subject of VR and motion sickness is obviously not fully understood yet. Maybe now that the Quest 2 is officially mainstream there will be more research into it by the manufacturers who are trying to sell their products. I may later in the year try the Quest 2 again with a different card. But for now I will settle for the larger monitor which I have checked out and am certain that an immersive curved screen will not have the same effect as VR.

Yes it is better to wait until you have a better GPU.
With G2 and a 1650, you have to pay a certain price for a headset, and have to clamp it, because the GPU is not powerful enough. Why pay 100% of the price, for example to use only 50% of the possibilities of the helmet. This is only a postponement for VR.

It happens to some people. You have to continue on using VR and after a while (not very long actually) it disapear. At first don’t use it too long and when you start to feel dissy, stop. In general it takes a week or two. No need to stop using VR !

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I now have a 37" curved monitor which FS20 looks pretty impressive on. So I will stick with that for the moment until later in the year when decent graphics cards come down to a reasonable price and I can try VR again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.