Very Disappointed in the Aerosoft Twin Otter

Well I never bought addons fresh from the developers table but following FlightSims for so long as I do, it’s not quite new that products upon initial sales enter the ‘final-final beta testing range’ or so to say. A lot of small issues only become apparent to developers once their products are being used on different machines, doing different things with it under different circumstances. These behaviours than need to be send back, collected and ironed out. That’s not great but it’s fine.

At the same time I’m surprised by things as the cabin doors not displaying properly on the -100. That’s just right in your face when you open a door which was one of the first things I did when I walked around the plane. That does feel a bit rushed or unattended. Also, I don’t quite understand why you release a product with sounds in this stage, only to update the soundpack right before that release and providing the solution afterwards. It doesn’t really make sense to me, but I just suppose Aerosoft promised release at the 19th and wanted to keep it.

Overall the plane is great, its utility is great and the addon will be great too once ironed out. I really prefer just celebrating the release of airplanes that are finally coming to us and I quietly accept the process of final-final beta testing upon release. As the sim is new, all products are new at the same time too. We’re just so up and eager for new planes that we can hardly decide to wait out the ironing of one product because we have enough other stuff in the hangar to keep us busy - but I think three months from now that will have changed too. We’re just transitioning as a platform and as users. Don’t panic. All will be well in due course.

6 Likes

Review speak?

What is a review if not an assessment of a product’s value?

I can guarantee without the slightest doubt that at the moment the vast majority of the “actual simmers” are flying and many of them are enjoying the heck out of the Twin Otter, or sleeping after having flown and enjoyed it for the whole evening and night.

The unwarranted vitriol I see from some in this thread has very little to do with the “actual simmer.”

5 Likes

I didn’t miss any point because you really didn’t make one. You claimed it was obsolete and are now trying to shift around what you said rather than just admitting it was a poor choice of words by you. All you have said so far is just your opinion but you try to deliver it in such a matter of fact way as if it’s some kind of fact. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and from what I can tell from the responses to this aircraft today I would say it’s about 50:50. I decided to hold off a bit and am happy to listen to all the feedback. I think the Kodiak has set a standard for this price so this is going to be compared to it. If the issues are addressed as quickly as SWS patched the Kodiak then the general view may become more positive. It seems like it’s up to Aerosoft to deliver.

The Kodiak can’t be considered in the same price range, as it requires a separate purchase for features that this package includes out of the box. Add to it the float version, and it’ll pretty much end up costing twice as much and will still have fewer options.

This is pretty much an objective consideration, so comparisons are out of place.

Mind you, this is not to criticize the Kodiak. It’s fantastic (despite some inevitable issues). But its bang for buck factor is simply not the same.

And yes, I made a point, which you missed. And it’s that old sims that are mostly built on even older code are a lot more stable in terms of developing for them, making issues naturally rarer. Another objective consideration.

Incidentally, this forum most definitely isn’t an indication of the general sentiment toward the TO (or any other aircraft, really), just as much as it isn’t an indication of the general sentiment toward the sim as a whole.

8 Likes

Well for me it is the first time that I put in for a refund. I will see where it goes. I really like the way it flies. However despite the project leads statement to the contrary in December the switches are not hardware mapable and there is no documentation on the LVARs. Basic things like the fuel pumps cannot (at least for me) be toggled. Not being able to undock the GPS screen (why would you even forbid that?) did it in for me. It being pretty and all is one side, but making it willingly incompatible with hardware GNS’es or Air Manager is incomprehensible.

6 Likes

Again just in your opinion.

Thanks for the feedback on the external interfacing. That is a big deal for me.

Like I said in your opinion. We have no way of knowing but it’s as good a measure as we have. I certainly trust the general consensus we have here over single person reviews. I rarely trust those because you never know their agenda.

Well… Don’t look up. :wink:

Denying the fact that by nature forums tend to attract malcontents simply means not knowing forums.

That being said, suit yourself. Opinions on pretty much every Discord I’ve seen are much more positive, and that’s telling, because people tend to be on Discord while they fly.

3 Likes

It is not only malcontents. No review ever goes into hardware compatibility. And this is a great deal for me. I really do not like fiddling about the cockpit with TrackIR and a mouse. That is what I have a button box and MIDI panels for. So there is no way other than the promises made by the dev and my personal experience to go on.
Most reviewers also will not try to undock GPS’s. But to some like me this is a basic functionality that makes or breaks a product. So having this information is rather useful. As I said apart from that I like the plane. The initial flights were fun but it will not do basic things. That is a killer for some and for some it may not be a concern at all. Having the whole picture helps to make an educated decision though.
One major upside with the Kodiak for example is that I can have almost everything mapped to physical switches and still see them being thrown in the VC. I can have the G1000’s on my two touch screens infront of me to use with the knobster… Awesome. And may be of 0 importance to you.

If it’s a big deal for you, that’s obviously a very legitimate deal-breaker. You’re entitled to have your personal requirements that make a product for you or not for you.

No one denies the fact that you can find useful specific information in forums like everywhere else, but it’s pretty much a fact that opinions on forums of any product (much beyond flight simulators or even gaming in general) tend to be very much skewed toward the negative, with high peaks of hyperbole (“It doesn’t work!”) and dramatization.

3 Likes

A reminder to keep this thread on topic. Avoid posts aimed at others or their views/opinions, and focus on the discussion if you want to participate in this thread.

5 Likes

What really bugs me is these so called You Tube jockeys that praise every release as if it’s some fantastic creation, only to find once again the aircraft is severely lacking, and launched with faults.

I’ll never trust another review from any of them in the future.

16 Likes

Exactly what you are doing at the moment :wink: All I am saying is it is not as black and white as you portray it. There is posts like you describe. But there is also a lot of useful information in this thread. And by the time you learn by whom or in what way that information is usually given.

Edit: Be as it may. I was refunded. Thank you Aerosoft for getting to it in such a short oder. To all finding nothing wrong: happy twottering, to all hoping for fixes: best of luck to you :slight_smile: Cya Thread

2 Likes

yes totally agree with you, very sad how this things can happen

Where’s the deep system modeling we were promised? They were quite clear that abnormals are beyond scope and not modeled and that’s fine, but every time someone points out something is INOP Aerosoft just says “oh we’ll remove it from the manual.”

2 Likes

How did you get a refund?

The manual itself is a joke. Classic reply from Aerosoft always saying read the manual. The manual is just copied and pasted from version from previous sims that actually worked and had basic functionality. This aircraft is not a patch on the Twin Otter Extended they did for P3D. But all the stuff you could do on there is still in the manual. Just shows how much care they have put into it.

4 Likes

My point exactly. I’d rather use a whole load of views from real users than a single reviewer who either purposefully or not often show bias and don’t like to be negative for fear of losing their early access and freebie rights.

1 Like