Very Discouraging- But problem solved

Rare, in that I’ve had maybe 10 since August. Also, you seem to be going down the route of finding a single cause, and there are likely a few.

I’ve probably flown for 10 hours since Friday night with no crashes, by making one change. Prior to that, before my first crash of the year, I had flown a 3 hour flight, and a 2 hour flight on one day. I started a new one, and I crashed while taxiing. I restarted, then crashed while in flight an hour in.

I stopped using LNM, and haven’t crashed since. I don’t think it’s LNM, but perhaps having multiple SimConnect clients, perhaps too many at the same time.

1 Like

Ok, in the error log did you get error 1000 when these happened? Do you have any addons? Did you at the time? How far or for how long to you typically fly for? Is FS2020 installed on your OS drive or on a separate drive? Are you running your ram with XMP enabled?

The reason I ask all this is the problem and solution will most likely have something that is consistent among all the computers.

Yes to most of those. It’s not installed on my OS disk, and I think I have XMP1 running. I’ve flown for just over 4 hours a few times, usually one of those group flights.

Again, no crashes after a simple software change.

What I would add is that my earlier crashes, back in August/September time, were during that time when a bug was causing “leaks” of other players into your cockpit. You would hear cockpit switches being flipped, and another bug where your view suddenly changed, and anything you did to change this crashed the sim. I don’t really consider those relevant to this issue, but the one fix that worked for the former was to enable Generic Plane Models for AI, and MP.

Some chose to turn AI traffic off entirely, I chose to switch them to generic. Users got mileage from both.

1 Like

What does Windows Event Viewer says about the CTD?

Nothing different to what I read from other users.

1 Like

I looked through installed programs and saw sim connect from P3D and FSX. Apparently it still interacts with msfs 2020 despite not being used for it. I had it on my other computer for a test of p3d a couple of years ago. This might be the issue. I uninstalled it and a couple of things stood out. I no longer had a jerky external view and I flew a complete flight without C2D. I will come back after longer flights to report any issues. This would be tough one to help diagnose for some since I Haven’t used p3d for 2 years. I used x-plane mostly so I never thought about sim connect. It wasn’t until I went through my install list that I saw it and though it might help to dump it.

2 Likes

As a former P3D and X-plane user for years, can I give you some sage advice? Be patient and willing to learn to fly all over again. It will be a rough couple of weeks as you unlearn things and learn new things. There are a lot of quirks, annoyances and limitations that will be mind-bogglingly irritating. At the same time, you’ll discover a lot of good stuff in the sim too. And, no flight is ever the same.

Every update will bring new problems while fixing others. Every week brings new tweaks and addons that make the sim look, run and feel better while it seems that other obvious idiosyncrasies are ignored- even though they’re not.

This is all a WIP that is in its infancy, and we’re all going through our own personal growing pains in one degree or another. We’ll all probably have to make some investments in hardware/pc upgrades too in order to get the most we can get.

If you wait 6mos and come back to the sim, things will be much better. However, you’ll still have a big learning curve at that time too. Stick with it, ride out the initial turbulence, and you’ll most-likely find this new world isn’t as bad as it seems now. It’s just new- It’s not like or never will be like P3D, or X-plane. MSFS is its own animal.

Finally, take some time to enjoy GA VFR flying when the tubeliner/system limitations get too annoying. There’s a whole new world to explore that never existed in a sim before. I love tubeliners, but I’m learning to love GA flying too.

At this stage of the game, the only JET worth flying is the FBW320, with the CJ4 running a close second. Everything else is junk, however QW hinted a 787 in Q2 and Aerosoft is soon to release the CRJ, so things are moving ahead slowly.

Happy flying!

1 Like

Did they look like this:

@Riverrover I’am pretty sure you used former the search function and find this ?

3 Likes

While I agree with the sentiment, and one should always use search before posting about a new issue in your sim, unless you search for the exact keywords in that one post, you won’t find it without trawling every single thread with the words “Crash to desktop”, even if you switch to latest posts. Adding the word “SimConnect” leads you to the thread, but you end user would have had to know the issue may be SimConnect related in the first place.

Really, admissions by Asobo of this type should be posted into the Announcments group as a stand-alone post, and use relevant SEO keywords to ensure those that don’t subscribe to that group (And to that I would say “Why aren’t you?!”) would find it if they used the search.

I would imagine that it is also quite frustrating for a user who is suffering these crashes to be told it is definitely their system that is at fault, and they must have configured it incorrectly, or are overclocking the CPU/GPU too aggressively.

That might be the cause in some cases, but it’s important to realise that it isn’t the only cause, as that post clearly shows.

1 Like

I’ve had msfs since day 1 and probably experienced 3 CTDs in that time.

1 Like

I believe I have found the problem. I changed two things that stopped the CTDs ( so far)

1. I went in windows to every USB device and turned off power saving mode.
  2. I turned off Developer mode ( this I think was the main culprit.)

Now it seems very stable. :grinning:

While a CTD seems to be the ultimate catastrophic event and hard (if not impossible) to predict, I wonder if it would be helpful to implement a .log file to work as a flight recorder by writing all the activity going on in the background up to the point of crash. I know that XP has a pretty detailed one that comes in pretty handy as you can throw it in the forums for other more experienced users to look into and offer some clues. Here instead all what we have is an event viewer filled with technical jargon with little use for the non programmer.

Share your PC specs and graphics/traffic/data MSFS settings, I did not see this info shared in the topic.
Very important if you want further help.

Problem solved I am 99% sure it was Developer mode causing the crashes.

2 Likes

With how many crashes I have seen pointed toward Dev mode lately, would not be surprised.
Hope it did the job!

2 Likes

I hope since many releases, that the developers DISABLE the “developer mode” for “normal” users :wink:

PS.: @Riverrover you can mark your former post as “solution” . Then users see directly that the topic is done.

what?? :joy:
Just don’t enable it on your own. Disabling it for everyone assumes everyone isn’t devving. Also useful to see FPS limiters and errors.

1 Like

:joy:

just like kids, the most users “enable it on her own” :joy:

We have so many reports about crazy crashed, pyriamids , etc. only because of these DEVELOPER tool which is used by NONE Developers :crazy_face:

PS.: and in case the users need some minutes more to enable a fps couter, we possible got also much less of "oh , yesterday I had 37 and today only 36 fps… what should I do? " tickets :joy:

1 Like

I don’t understand your argument.

To enable developer mode, you have to open the menu, click on “general” scroll down to “Developer” on the left, toggle “Enable Developer Mode” and then press F9 to save your settings.

This isn’t something people can just turn on by mistake, surely the onus should be on those people to turn it off if they are having issues rather than removing it for everyone.

4 Likes