Very Discouraging- But problem solved

Best advice I’ve gotten so far was to run Task Manager and see what’s interrupting your flights. I found most of my issues in the details tab. FlightSimulator.exe should be the second thing listed, right behind “System Idle Process”. By the time you’re at the desktop, it’s too late.
Whatever caused it was gnawing away in the background.

I had teething problems, but one-by-one I conquered them. I still have random CTDs still but I can’t change when Steam Beta updates.

Edit: I’m running a mix of High and Ultra settings and getting 30+ fps on a 2700X, RTX2060 @3440x1440, 32Gb, nvme drive game install.

So? What do you want to do about it? This has been an issue from the beginning because MSFS is extremely demanding both to the CPU and the GPU while most programs either focus on one or the other. I had other demanding applications (like video editing software) before crap out on me while running on D.O.C.P. / XMP values. That’s not uncommon.

Those D.O.C.P. and XMP values are NOT a guaranteed operating speed (just as the rated speed of 4.3GHz for your Ryzen 2700x CPU is not guaranteed). Those are maximum values. And using those value won’t damage your hardware or void your warranty. But noone guarantees that they will run stable.
So if your motherboard, cooling and power supply etc are not up to snuff you most likely will have instabilities running at XMP and your Ryzen at 4.3 GHz. And while most software will shrug those instabilities off, MSFS won’t.

In case you want to try it:
I started running my RAM on Automatic and slowly increased until I hit a point where I got CTDs again. The I went down 100MHz. Now I run my 3600 MHz maximum rated DDR4s at at 3400 and they are stable. Did the same with the CPU. Both are running slightly below the rated maximum.

5 Likes

First of all, you need to get rid of OC and check if the game is stable. Problem with CTD is that hardware issue often prevents software from capturing the error in the logs. Windows event logs might be more useful here.

3 Likes

Do you run any external tools that connect to MSFS? Examples would be:

LittleNavMap
Volanta
SPAD
FSUIPC

1 Like

Had MSFS since launch & luckily I’ve only experienced a CTD once when i was route planning on the world map. Almost certainly a CPU thing. The sim isn’t exactly optimised. Even running an i7-10700k with 8/16 Cores/Threads & hyper-threading, the sim heavily under utilizes it. They are porting it to DX12 for the summer which should do quite a bit of good, performance wise.

That is the only place an error is present. In Windows event log error 1000 like all the other CTD’s.

IM annoyed because everybody seems to think its rare, but of the top 10 threads 3 are about CTD’s and one has hundreds of people reporting CTD’s. My computers don’t have issues with any other software. X-plane is extremely demanding, never have a Crash to desktop, hell I never have a crash. I am running corsair platinum rmx power supply at 850W, I have a delided i7 7700k that can run stable at 5.2 ghz but is not overclocked at the moment, i have corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200 memory considered to be the best memory by tech ■■■■■ and Linus and generally most pc techs me being one of them. I know what faulty computers look like and mine is certainly not one of them. There is something causing so many people to have an issue and we need software logs from flight sim to tell us why it’s crashing.

Speaking of other software, are you running any of those I mentioned above?

If you are, and you are getting crashes as often as you seem to suggest, could you try flying for a while without any external tools connected?

The reason I mention it is there is an ongoing investigation by users of FSUIPC, where it’s logging seems to suggest that something happens to SimConnect, and the sim crashes, either because of this, or the sim crashed first which takes down SimConnect with it.

3 Likes

The only ctd’s I’ve had were when live traffic & AI traffic.was enabled. What’s clear is that some people might not be that great at setting up a stable PC and so their go to is to blame something else. There’s no mystery, it’s just bad setup & a lack of rational diagnosis in most cases. Dunning-Kruger anyone?

3 Likes

I have live traffic on, and don’t get crashes. They are were rare for me, up until I ran two external tools together in the background, LNM, and Volanta. I’ve stopped using LNM for a period of time, but continued with Volanta, and no crashes.

After a week or so, I’ll switch to LNM only, and see if anything changes.

1 Like

My issues are not with the computer. I am running right now a 28C at idle, never have any software issues. Even cyberpunk runs great on my machine. I thought maybe my ssd’s might be an issue since they were 2 years old so I replaced them with WD black m.2’s. Didn’t fix the issue. What I have found seems to temporarily fix the issue is removing the scenery cache, I haven’t had a crash after doing that until I quit and use the sim again. So if I wan’t to run stable I Need to delete that cache every time I go to play.

Do you overclock your GPU? If so, turn it down a few notches. I got CTDs every flight when I first started using MSFS and as soon as I turned the dials back it worked flawlessly every time.

I don’t think that is going to happen. I believe we have someone unwilling to take advice, as they have already decided what is wrong. Anything we suggest to the contrary flies in the face of that, as evidenced by their ignoring my question twice now.

2 Likes

No, I don’t overclock anything, only my ram is set to 3200 xmp profile.

You de-lided your CPU but didn’t overclock it?

1 Like

I ignored it because I have already said I don’t have any addons. So that would mean nothing you are talking about.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

The i7 7700k has issues running hot due a bad IHC compound, I went from idle at 45-50, to idle 29c. I went from near 95 at load to never above 65C. That is why I did it.

1 Like

So we can probably rule out SimConnect issues as you don’t have anything communicating with the sim, and it’s not a CPU heat issue, but could still be an overclock issue. You mentioned XMP, so you could try running your RAM without that for a bit, and see if that helps.

1 Like

I believe I have already tried that, but I can try again and see if it makes a difference.

Ok so this is why we aren’t getting a solution. Bobloblawn1 says:

So he apparently fixes the issue by having no live traffic, but others seem to have no issues when running live traffic and hobanagerik says he doesn’t get crashes with live traffic on but then also says they were rare? What is it, did you never get them, were they rare and what is rare in your mind? I can go hours sometimes without a crash, is that rare to you?

Is it the live traffic that is causing the issue? If so why are we telling people to check their ram speeds?

1 Like