VFR is no fun with new "Haze/Fog"

Just not as much fun when visibility close to the ground is 2-4 miles at best.

6 Likes

It can be a little much at times but you and I both know that it can be real based on where we live! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes of course it can be real depending on the humidity. But when you set humidity at 0 and still have haze like itā€™s a 30Ā°C summer day at 80% humidity then it dorsnā€™t work.
At 2Ā°C with sunshine at 14:00 you will barely have any haze at all because the cold air simply canā€™t take up the humidity.

3 Likes

Are you sure you are not just seeing the bug with low clouds (or clouds down to ground level) that appeared after the SU7 update?
I canā€™t say I have any trouble with excessive haze, just the annoying low clouds

3 Likes

TBH, I think they got the haze thing right. When I fly around SoCal it even has the brown hue that you get from the smog here.

4 Likes

That was what I was feeling. Here in Phoenix it looked like that over downtown this morning from a distance.

If itā€™s so real in SoCal, then why canā€™t you see more than 8 miles with the Santa Ana winds? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sometimes this ā€œfogā€ are actually clouds that are now laying on the ground due to a SU7 bug

2 Likes

This is what you do. Spawn with Live weather, note what it looks like ie. scattered overcast snow etc. now pull up the weather menu, switch to what your observations were, and voila the over done cloud layer is gone, or actually 1000ā€™ up where it should be. I did a comparison between live weather, and metar manually added weather, and that lower layer disappears every time.

I noticed this haze / fog too in low elevations that appears to be too much and out of proportion (does not match what we have in the area here). Something is off about it.

I recommend flying into small airports that donā€™t have METAR readouts. The weather just sticks to what we had pre-SU7 if you do that. Not a great compromise Iā€™ll admit, but it works for the time being.

Funny thing is that the Unreal Weather Mod finds the nearest METAR report if your destination hasnā€™t got one, which means yesā€¦ the mod is more sophisticated than what the devs created.

Says it all.

2 Likes

Has Asobo/MS ever acknowledged the issue with the clouds/haze? Everyone says its a ā€˜bugā€™ and I agree but do we have official recognition of this?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. They have been very quiet (on holiday)

i mean if you think about it, thats what fog is: A cloud thatā€™s sitting on the groundā€¦

2 Likes

ā€¦and,
Haze reduces visibility, which reduces draw distance which ā€œIncreasesā€ FPS and they want everyone to be able to Run and Enjoy MSFS because, after all, it is a for profit game.

2 Likes

All unreal weather does is set global weather presentsā€¦ They just repeatedly change the whether for the entire globe based on nearby METARs. Thatā€™s nowhere near as sophisticated as the default live 3D volumetric weather engine. I really donā€™t understand how anyone can try to compare the two with a straight faceā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna try my REX Weather Force again.
Perhaps itā€™s improved and more accurate than MSFS Live Weather.
Anyone else try this lately?

How and when did term haze become so popular? I really donā€™t understand. 90% of all cases on the forum are about FOG or MIST which are depending on humidity, not HAZE!

2 Likes

Not even close to actual here is liveā€¦

Here is the sim

3 Likes

Thereā€™s significant haze within the weather system. Looks pretty poor.

1 Like