VFR is no fun with new "Haze/Fog"

I wasn’t comparing it with the Live Weather engine. I was comparing it with Asobo’s METAR “override”.

1 Like

Definitely need a big hotfix for sure

I saw this earlier and looked like wedge tornados going through lol.

No thats the work around. Load live weather, then switch to preconfigured weather in game that matches, the haze layer will disappear. You can also just manually key the metar from the airport you wish to report from, with the same results. It wont be ‘live’ weather but it will be correct weather.

I’d be curious how REX weather works out… I used it a lot when it came out, but then live weather was better so I stopped. But now with Asabo breaking it again…

1 Like

Technically, the infinite visibility we had in all circustances before SU7 was highly irrealistic. Maybe I have been unlucky my whole life but each time I have flown an airliner, I could barely see anything that was not just “under” the plane… anything at a distance would just be a blurry shape… so yes, imo, visibility does hide draw distance and helps with displaying blurry textures irl…
Is it in excess? In some parts possibly (I have not be flying in the US and never have seen the issue with excessive haze). Does it need more work? Yes, things can always always improved. But the haze implementation is a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

Fly East Coast USA in the Summer then (during the day) !!

alesund-fog1

LOL, just gave it a shot looking toward Boston … REX seems to think we’ve had a nice snowfall

MSFS

REX

Real

Edit: just noticed, sun is too high in the sky for this time of year.

Friendly suggestion to everyone in this thread, please check the below link to find out the difference between haze and fog.
As the OP in that thread wrote, the last thing we need is Asobo to be looking to hotfix an inexistent haze issue.

4 Likes

Tried it again last night. Was an update too.
Flew from KSAN to KBUR and was minor haze as I approached LA. Overall clear day with small low level puffs. Not the giant cumulus monsters I keep seeing with MS Live.
But as I intercepted the glideslope, CTD!
My first ctd in a month, so must be REX.
Too bad because the clouds and effects seem much more realistic.
I’ll try again in a less dense area.

what makes you think there is a bug here ?

Ground mist is a thing, esp in the morning when the soil is cold.

It’s a bug in the fact I’m looking at the airport and there is no ground haze. Yes it is a thing but not on a crisp fall day. Is live weather not supposed to represent what is occurring outside now?

1 Like

This makes no sense. I don’t know where you fly, but in my world the weather at two airports 75km apart can be VERY different. Not uncommon to have clear skies and calm weather while a raging blizzard is dumping 50cm of snow less than 100km away.

Using nearest data to determine the weather at an airfield with no METAR does not invoke “sophisticated”. It invokes “ridiculous”. Using the most recent ‘forecast’ data makes a lot more sense, if actual observations are unavailable.

If I am planning a short VFR flight to a nearby airfield, I am NOT going to rely on what I am seeing out the window at my departure point. If actual observations are not available IRL, I am going to check the forecast, followed by some phone calls.

I won’t even book a tee time at a golf course an hour’s drive away without a phone call to determine if it is shorts or touque weather.

1 Like

VR hasn’t been fun for a week now(unless I’m using P3D) since SU 7. They sure messed this one up.

1 Like

You mean the Live Weather system which implements winds aloft at ground level? Thats what I would call ridiculous.

Something I noticed on my VFR flights over the past few days through the Mojave:

The haze is only affecting a certain radius around airports that report METARs.

Every airport reporting a METAR IRL was reporting temps in the teens to twenties above zero (Celsius), and dewpoints in the minus teens to twenties Celsius. This is a temp-DP spread of 30-40 degrees in some cases. RL visibility was reported 10SM in all cases.

However, the in-game ATIS or AWOS was reporting a dewpoint of 10°C for every airport. Each of these airports in-game had haze with 2SM visibility at best. KLAS, KHND, KEDW, KMHV.

Now, I notice there’s a new “humidity” slider in the weather menu. I do not know what the number represents, but increasing the slider increases the apparent haze, reducing visibility. Is it possible that the game is interpreting a narrow temp-DP spread because of a buggy dewpoint and jacking the humidity, thus lowering visibility?

Whaat…?

Even less sense than the previous post.

“Winds aloft” at “ground level”?
So you are referring to surface winds?

Not sure how that relates to using METAR data from another airport to generate weather at an airport with no reporting.

METARS do not include winds aloft. Nothing does. Winds aloft are not reported. They are forecast.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for that - please keep up. I was saying that the alternative is MFS’ ‘Live Weather’ system, which quite often implements winds aloft at surface level - meaning that the speed and direction are all wrong. I’d personally say that is more “ridiculous” than retrieving the nearest weather station’s METAR, but to each their own.

They’re both flawed options, so it’s a lose/lose situation when the destination hasn’t got a METAR report.

Not just me - but the rest of 425 people.
I was first discovered this bug by checking my home airport, and there were ground clouds miles ahead.
Cannot believe people think it is actual fog.

You guys realise that they’ve taken the METAR vis 9999+ as exactly 10km (or around 6 miles for those inclined to be different from the rest of the world). There is no METAR data for visibility above that, so they’ll need another source or work it out using whatever data they have.

Hopefully they figure out that they can tap into the AQI indexes from around the world to get much more accurate figures.

We also need visibility layers, so we can have inversion layers for example.
And that visibility range needs to go right down to CAT IIIB, 75m amounts.

2 Likes