VFR map upgrade

Like Minds.

1 Like

How can this even be called a VFR map? Does that not violate some kind of legal description issue?

1 Like

Funny. It’s technically and IFR map, because you can’t see anything on it.

It will get there!

1 Like

I’m using the ForeFlight map for VFR navigation. It’s been fun to refresh myself in pilotage and dead reckoning rather than relying on GPS! For those without ForeFlight, the SkyVector sectionals are free and easy to use: https://skyvector.com/

Skyvector is great. OpenAIP (www.openaip.net) also gives a pretty good coverage of the world, with a general map and airfields information, including small ones which aren’t in Skyvector’s database. I wouldn’t use it IRL, but for MSFS it’s a good source.
And you can sometimes find officiel VFR maps online for free (on geoportail website in France). They are much easier to use with a second monitor.

Or on a tablet. I’m hoping that MSFS2020 gets ForeFlight support. It’s a great training aid in preparing for actual flight. I’ll check out OpenAIP.

I like Skyvector, but also AirNav.com for North America. It has it all, in one place. It’s a quality real world source.

Sectional
Airport Diagram
Approach and Departure Plates (Printable too)
Runway Information Details
Local Surrounding Metars
Navaid and Fix Information
Airport Approach Picture

1 Like

Airnav.com only seem to know north America unfortunately.

1 Like

You’re right, I changed that to say North America.

1 Like

I too miss VFR reporting points in the VFR map or the flight planning dialog.

Let’s at least have a scale so we can at least judge distances. Can we also zoom out much further, please?

I would suggest adding Skyvector or similar and Openstreetmap as two options in addition to the current map

1 Like

I often fly around without any flightplan, flying on the go, just for the fun of it. I go from town to town or mountain or lake or other places that have my interest. I use the VFR map a lot during those flights, to see where i want to wander next.

Now, it has always bothered me that we can’t see distances or other information in those maps.
For example; It could be so useful to mouse-hover a VOR on the map and see the frequency of it, or to see how far away a certain town or landmark we see on the map actually is.

So my question is: Will there ever in the future be a point-and-click (or even hover) interactive VFR map with distances and other useful information in MSFS2020?

I think the map is pretty fine but would like to add country borders, names of airports, cities POI, and zoon out a lot more

I still like the idea of a BING VFR Map with BING filters, directions, searching…everything you can do in Bing you should be able to pull up in your VFR Map…BUT…

As we are basically flying; BING MAP WORLD, an option to display all BING Map data directly ON the in-flight world would be nice.

POIs are nice but I’d like to be able to find anything and then add it as my own custom POI.
To be able to build my own categories of POIs…and SHARE them with others.

Please consider working BING fully into MSFS.

I’d love the VFR map to be (semi) transparant so it doesn’t really block the view if you have it open,yet still provides the information you want.Or it could gradually become more transparant overtime if you have it open & haven’t clicked it for some time.

Would also love to be able to set new destination/fligtplan after arrival at airport without returning to the main menu

Edit
Trasparant kind of like in the profile menu ingame “my hangar” -“description” but ingame it can be slightly more transparant so the VFR map does not block the view

1 Like

This is a much-needed improvement, especially for VR flying.

1 Like

What also might be a nice upgrade/option is for the map to pop up /vanish based on how far you are off from the set track. maybe you can have a few options there for how far exactly you need to be off before it pops up & how long before it vanishes when you are on the track

Elevations, runway lengths, runway numbers, as well as frequencies were added in Sim Update 10 (1.27.21.0).

If you are still interested in other VFR Map improvements, please search Wishlist using tag:vfr-map for other VFR Map requests.