Virpil controls

I once had an issue with the Virpil WarBrd base. The aileron would jerk and stay in an extreme position sometimes when I moved the stick in a particular way. It ended up being my fault. The electric connection between the stick and base was loose.

Update - I still have to type up “The All Settings List” from game. But been busy, we are going to move, and selling house, and all the drama going on with that. I will make sure to get it done sometime over summer. I note on my writeup how I have that setup. And will preface the notes with my system specifications, which will be good indication on why I set them that way. Additionally, no changes to VFX stick settings above, and will try to post the TM3 Settings list (already did I thought in another thread) but will do so here. I try to keep as many of them the same between MSFS-FSX-X-Plane so I don’t have a bunch of “remember this is different on xx sim”.

Sorry to bother you but I don’t understand the multi-button combinations. Lets say I want to program the red button on the flightstick, what should it be?

You don’t really need multi-button combinations on this sim. Think of it like the shift button on the keyboard. If you assign the red button on the stick to gear up, for example, you could assign the same button with the “shift” button to get another function. Press and hold the “shift” button, and then press the red button for another function. However, you really need very few functions assigned in this sim. I can fit them all on my CM3 throttle.

As @OldpondGL pointed out … think of them as SHIFT, CTRL, ALT etc.

When you look at my command overview diagram you should be able to guess why I am using that feature in each context.

Typically there is a specific control (e.g. a slider, a encoder etc.) which already has a primary function … and then there is a related command which I want to have on the same button, because it is easier to remember for me that way.

Say … encoder changes the AP HDG … and “SHIFT” (=button X) + encoder changes to vertical speed.

I hope this makes sense.

1 Like

I’m using the Virpil T50 CM3 throttle, warbird base, Constellation Alpha stick, and ACE pedals. I love all my Virpil equipment. The quality is amazing. I upgraded from a Logitech X56. What a difference!

My first order from Virpil took a couple of months. The last order got here to the US in under two weeks.

I like their software too. It is technical, but you can do what you want. I highly recommend Virpil for MSFS.

2 Likes

All - We got moved for most part, ok 99% worth, still got shed and garage at old place. But in new place, internet speed is 3MBPS, way to slow to download anything relating to MSFS. I will keep forum account and MSFS account, but until my Internet speed improves, am not going to spend 3 weeks 24/7 downloading it again. I will keep any purchased planes updated (F-14) etc.

I can fly in FSX and X-Plane 11 (DVDs), and finally got it so I can safely and properly do ILS approach in the Virtavia C-17 which was ported from XP-10. That took several months trying to get it working and flyable, lots of YT videos on how to fix it. It does NOT NEED Internet to run. The new version reported to be arriving in a downloadable beta version don’t know if DVD’s will be available or not. I will try to find faster internet to do that with, if necessary. Happy Flying.

I know this thread is old but i have a basic question. I have no experience with msfs or virpil yet the internet made me buy it. How do you get the throttle to auto center basic flight controls for the joystick. I know im missing something basic but this is a bit of a learning curve. If i pitch up, the elevators stay pitched even though joystick returned to center.

First for Virpil, you need the latest version of their software. Then you need to install and run it, with ONLY ONE VIRPIL device plugged in at a time
Steps:

1. Run firmware and update devices firmware.
  2. Create Profile-save it to device
  3. Calibrate it in the software, save profile to device.
  4. Enable any buttons for special configurations - see Jon’s Tech gaming on YouTube-Havoc Company Clan on how to setup devices, etc.
    Close Virpil Software, open MSFS, it should see the device and then you configure it within the game settings as needed. I think I posted my settings above; they have not changed.
    NOTE: MSFS IS OFF my PC, it’s still got a whole bunch of problems, and requires massive internet connection which I do not currently have, so using X-Plane, which is much more stable, controls work in it just fine as well. There is a memory error some get after closing virpil software, not sure why, does not affect devices.

NOTE-02: as I speak, downloading MSFS now. Seriously hope the game remembers my settings for my controls. I have a printed out written down list of how I want them to be set. Going to hope it still is going to work. I have now assembled and setup my Monster Tech Flight Chair, and it’s all mounted on that. In X-Plane it works fine, although, wish I could raise front of seat a bit higher, adjustment is not enough for that. I tend to lean forward to see the screen. X-Plane is way easier to setup controls I think, not nearly as many choices. And I do not remember how I had setup the game stuff before. So I know now, it’s going to be frustrating doing it again. I tend to mess with game more than flying in it. DL has been going on since around 9:30am today, and only 39% complete, that is with a wired 1GB network and 250GB speed. I just dislike this game for that one reason alone. I am one of the lucky ones, as more that many, I can get it to download and work mostly. If it’s too much work, will just ignore it and fly in XP.

I agree that understanding the software and the different “tuning features” does take some time (at least it did for me).

But there are good resources
… and after almost 2 years of use I am still fascinated by the build quality and the axis precision.

… and I did spend way more time tuning and testing and changing my command bindings in MSFS. , but my Virpil (firmware) setup has not changed after I figured out the initial “calibration” and “button group assignment” aspects.

Hi nenenui,

I’m new to using a few VIRPIL items and search my way around configuring the stick and the throttle.
I found a lot of help in your documentation of buttons for both items, for which I sincerely thank you.
What I don’t know is what to do with what you write:

[1] + [2] + [3] + [9] … Reset Home Cockpit Camera
[1] + [2] + [9] … Save Home Cockpit Camera
[3] + [9] … Lock Crone To Next Target

Are these combinations to enter a command binding?
But if so, how do you enter it for e.g. the stick in MSFS 2020 Controls?
If not, what is your intention with the number series?

Hopefully my question is clear.
Thanks,
El

Coorect.

In the MSFS command bindings for the control gear you should see those multi-button IDs …
if you did assign them to a command.

Now those numbers might be different for you if you have configured the Virpil firmware differently.

Technically the ID translation does (seem to) go like this:

• Internal Virpil hardware IDs
    • get mapped to “system game HID” IDs
    • with the help of the Virpil tool
    • which stores that mapping on the device itself
  • Windows provides that IDs to MSFS
  • MSFS checks which game HID button ID combination matches which commands
    • there can even be multiple matches (then the result is somewhat less predictable …)
  • MSFS then generates internal command (name) IDs
    • and provides those to the aircraft (sandbox) … or game engine in general.

For my Virpil CM2 Throttle I only modified two of the red switches on the device (firmware). All other in-device mappings are standard in my case.

In MSFS I then searched for the commands (e.g. by name) … and then assigned the key presses to that command.

If you need more info let me know.

Aloha

All - To expand on his above statement. Virpil has a “internal key command number”, and windows has another number. If you look at the Virpil Joystick tester or the VPC Shift tool in windows, and press any key, you will see it light up, and it shows both, the internal and the windows key. There is an excellent video on YouTube from "Jon’s Tech and Gaming channel, he does lots of videos on Virpil and how to configure it, and I learned a lot.
As reminder, only have one device hooked up to PC at a time if UPDATING firmware, you can brick both or all your devices if more than one is connected. Good Luck.
Part of this issue, is the very complicated “Settings word descriptions” in the game. FWIW-Do I toggle, or do I turn it on? Some of the items I don’t have clue on what they mean or do, and I have been MS Flt Simmer since FS-95. This one is way harder to setup and configure, and I do not personally believe it has to be that complicated.
FWIW-I also fly in XPlane, it took me 15 minutes to setup my virpil stuff in XP-12, sure a little tweaking along the way, and I can tie my controls (profile-2 engine jet or 4 engine jet) to specific plane types, and when choosing that plane type it immediately loads that profile for it, so do not have to go into controls, and choose the profile for a plane type every time I fly a different one in MSFS, XP does it automatically. Great Job on that.

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply which contains detailed, helpful content.
Nevertheless, I suspect that the explanation still needs to mature a bit before it is fully applicable.
Dealing with computer software is not strange to me, but finding my way in that of VIRPIL is a different pair of sleeves…

But I take comfort in what you write: “… I agree that understanding the software and the different “tuning features” does take some time (at least it did for me)”…

Thank you for your offer to get back in touch if needed.

With kind regards,
Laurent.

Hi,

Thank you also for your addition.

Jon’s Gaming and Tech channel on YouTube I found a few days back and watch his videos day after day since then (privilege for a retiree!).

Your information about X-plane 12 seems to me inviting for a quick introduction…!

Kind regards,
Laurent.

Your welcome EldpPilot, we are all in this mess together. MS71