Virpil controls

I had some 20yr-old flight controls and I decided to upgrade. Originally I ordered some of the Logitech stuff but while I was waiting I found Virpil and thought it looked a lot better. I ordered Alpha Stick, WarBRD Base, Throttle, Control Panel, and Rudders. Took just under 2 months including shipping. I’d still be waiting on the Logitech stuff from what I can tell.

The quality of the Virpil stuff is incredible, easily twice as good as I expected. It is a huge upgrade and I’m really loving it in MSFS 2020. It really makes the sim more fun to play. Their software is also quite nice.

3 Likes

True, but once you are used to it… it is what i need.

Hi all,

I just got the following from Virpil

1. VPC Constellation ALPHA-R
  2. VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base
  3. VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals

However, I am confused as to how to assign / map SHIFT button states….holding a shift button and changing how other button send keys etc. I have the Virpile software loaded, buy I do not know how to map anything.

I have uploaded some documentation of my button mappings to the Alpha stick over here …

… and I am not using any “SHIFT” feature on the Virpil side of the config.
I do only use the native FS2020 “multi-button” feature in the command bindings to get “SHIFT” like behavior.

I am not sure if that answers your question … if not then please try to explain again what exactly you are trying to achieve and what “SHIFT” means for you.

I do use the Virpil Configuration “SHIFT” feature (via the “Mode” switch) with the Virpil throttle … and I documented my ideas for that here …

My Virpil Panel #1 arrived the other day. First ever Virpil purchase. Still learning the software and trying to decide how and what I want to configure. Really impressed by the quality of the Virpil hardware. Extremely solid throughout. So far, I have assigned the autopilot, flight director functions, and interior lights. No trouble at all getting assigned buttons to do what they are supposed to do. I am very interested in learning how to assign rotary switches.

Yes, Virpil equipment is pricy. Once you get past that, these are very capable and top-notch items. Should last for a very long time.

1 Like

Has anyone else had difficulties following the recent updates? I have a VPC Constellation Alpha and WarBRD base (together with a Thrustmaster Throtlle), which worked beautifully. Then following the last-but-one update, aircraft have started veering to the left unexpectedly, as though I’m applying full left aileron, even though the joystick is neutral. I’ve calibrated my stick in the Virpil app, and checked the axes etc in MSFS, so I have no idea why this is? It’s making the game unplayable.

Check your assistance options as these have been getting set to easy with the last update meaning the AI is taking over control of the aircraft. If they are set to hard and not interfering then try setting up a new profile for the controller as a test.

I changed everything to hard, and also tried setting up a new controller profile - still have the same issue.

It’s really odd as I haven’t added anything new to the PC. MSFS is the only game I have this issue with - my stick and throttle work fine with DCS and Il-27 etc. It’s really odd too, as they used to work absolutely fine. The only thing that’s changed since they worked properly is the two most recent game updates, so it’s clearly a software issue.

You can try removing the device, then restarting the PC. and by removing, take off software, remove connection to PC, if more than one virpil device be extra careful hooking up ONE AT TIME, as you can brick them if more than one hooked up, and reconfigure using reinstalled software, there is a newer version our on that as well. See if that works, I have VFX with T50 base and am not experiencing that problem, planes fly fine. I am the trouble when flying not my equipment.

Got the same configuration as well as hardware (VPC Constellation Alpha and WarBRDbase together with VPC MoongoosT-50CM3-T) and thanks god, no problems…maybe the thrustmaster throttle?, or the softare driver? :thinking:

I have a throttle, a panel, a stick, and a collective so I’m setup to fly airplanes and helicopters and it all works great. I do also use spad.next for things I cannot do or do easily with in game bindings.

1 Like

I recently upgraded my Virpil command mapping diagrams.

You can find the Alpha stick related part here …

… and the CM2 throttle related diagrams here …

1 Like

I have several warthogs… one setup for a heli cyclic and one for Jets. I have recently purchased a couple VKB sticks. The ones I purchased were the Gladiator NXT ‘Space Combat Edition’ w/ SCG Premium Right grip. Will set you back about 200 with shipping. Takes a week or less to receive. They are smooth as butter and I prefer it over the warthog. Great for desktop.

I have the Virpil VFX F-14 Stick. Not sure what real F-14 buttons did for sure. I have mine custom to MSFS and FSX.
When arrives, Virpil TM3 Throttle unit, then going to remap some of my buttons to it from the VFX stick.
Keeping the VFX and then selling the Honeycomb Bravo unit, because it takes up too much desk space.
I have come to realize, I spend way more time programing things, fixing things in MSFS much more than flying in sim. Getting the TM3 unit setup the way I want will take me weeks. First got to learn how to do it, then write out a plan for the rotary switch (5 positions) and the associated buttons with it, figure out which button for vertical trim, just too many choices so really need to think this through. Some things I want to control with unit are not bindable in unit, sim does not support for instance.

In XPlane11, hundreds of different bindings for every single button on device, much more choice, which then leads to not remembering what happened to whom.

2 Likes

All - I did get this done, was not nearly as hard as I first thought. I wrote down all the buttons and settings in a word document, so I have them because won’t remember how I did it. I also made a paper list of all the settings in all areas of MSFS but have not typed that up yet. If I do, I will post it, oh, word extensions, pdf, xls, etc. are not allowed here.

WU8 - I got some memory error when tried to download it. Just had it with this game. It’s off PC, and I am mostly out of this forum as a commentator. One day it is hoped, this game will live up to the advertisements “as real as it gets”, right now, it’s a game for Xbox users, and all the “serious stuff” is and has been broken from day one. I appreciate the efforts, but, really, it’s money and nothing else.

1 Like

Great post and I agree very much with you on your comments! I have a CM2 throttle with a stick base mongoose with a TM warthog and a Virpil Alpha on way to me…Please keep me posted. On you binding setup!

MSFS-2020 Default Virpil VFX-F-14 Grip and CM2 Mongoose Base/Bracket Settings – Old Button Setting was Logitech 3D Pro USB Device

Function/Name Old Button Setting My Button Setting

Camera Mode Switches
Cockpit External View Joystick Button 12 No Change

Cockpit Cameras
Cockpit Quick view Right JS-POV Right No Change
Cockpit Quick View Left JS-POV Left No Change

Reset Cockpit View Joystick Button 02 Top Right Red Button
Previous Pilot Position JS-POV Down No Change
Next Pilot Position JS-POV Up No Change
Toggle Smart Camera Joystick Button 01 Trigger See Assignment Below

External Camera
Reset External View Joystick Button 02 Top Right Red Button
External Quick View Left JS-POV Right POV Hat Switch
External Quick View Rear JS-POV Down (To rear) POV Hat Switch
External Quick View Right JS-POV Right POV Hat Switch
External Quick View Top JS-POV Up (to Front) POV Hat Switch

Instrument View
Previous Instrument View JS-POV Left
Next Inst View JS-POV Right

Aircraft Controls
Brakes Joystick Button 05 JS Button 01 Trigger
Toggle Parking Brake Assigned to TM3 Unit, JS does not handle PB now

Flight Control Surfaces-Primary
Ailerons Axis JS L-Axis-X No Change*
Elevator Axis JS L-Axis-Y No Change*
Rudder Axis JS R-Axis-Z No Change*

Secondary Control Surfaces – TM3 Virpil Unit - Will have to post those assignments separate.

Pushback Keyboard Shift-P Gray Rocker Switch-FWD
Pause Game Keyboard P Gray Rocker Switch-Rearward

DC Designs-F-14 A/B – NOTE: Some buttons need to be configured for that plane, should match real assignment in real plane, they may be setup by default as they did great job.

Nosewheel Steering Joystick L-Axis-Z Twist Left JS L-Axis-Z – Twist Right
Validate after each set, apply and save.

*Function is normal to any joystick/Real Device in Real Plane-Corresponds to Control Yoke in Plane. Note, if your 3D Pro is getting sloppy, you will have to put in some “Null Zone” parameters, each one is different, you will have to play around with it. Additionally, the axis, pulling, pushing, twisting, also have to be adjusted, the sim seems to change every patch. My suggestion is if mostly Joystick capable A/C, then get better quality than Logitech, if mostly Control Yoke, then get good Quality Control Yoke/Throttle Quadrant setup. These cost money, the best yoke is 1000.00 USD, the throttle quadrant by the same outfit is the same price, so if jumping on the bandwagon and going to use for years, the best will last for years. On the other hand, me, I aint rich, sold my Honeycomb and went with the Virpil TM3 Throttle unit, way better quality than honeycomb, made in Europe, not china. Quality is excellent on Virpil stuff. Excellent support as well.

Created: 2-28-2022
Revised as needed, still playing with null zone settings
NOTE: I have taken MSFS 2020 off my pc, the last WU gave memory error, spent more time fixing issues than flying. Bugs present at release (9-20-2020) still present today, ATC/ILS/ and a host of Airports with wrong information, headings, etc. Going to wait year and see if it’s better and more stable. Some of the planes are better, but in most cases flight characteristics are way off from real plane, MSFS did not claim to have “study level planes”, but when 787 fly’s right over airport with correct frequencies set, heading set, atc acknowledges right place and time and plane just goes on by, something is wrong.

1 Like

Wow! Great work! Thank you soooo much! Greatly appreciated! Roger

I have a Virpil Alpha on way. Can you share you stick bindings please? Maybe I should have bought the F14 stick…

Not sure if you have already seen it …
but there is a thread specifically related to the Alpha grip
and it also has some binding info

2 Likes