VL3 - Rotax 915 mod

could you please provide the modified xml file ?
If you prefer, you can also directly contribute here : https://github.com/r9r-dev/fs2020-vl3-rotax915

I reported some contributions I missed recently on the github repository:

• max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar (0.96)
  • max_gross_weight (1690)
  • pitch/roll/yaw_stability (0.3)

Allow me to insist on the modifications on github, otherwise we risk missing some proposed changes. Of course, I also understand that you have to do some tests before going headlong :slight_smile:

Also, if you missed my message about the racing livery, here it is : https://orvidius.com/msfs2020/liveries-orvidius-vl3-racing.zip
All credits to Author CMDR Orvidius.

I already uploaded to GitHub 2 hours ago, did I do it correctly? It asked me to make a fork (I could not edit directly), which I did, then I changed engines.cfg accordingly:

[PROPELLER]
thrust_scalar = 2.0
propeller_diameter = 5.7021
propeller_moi = 0.36878
beta_min = 8
gear_reduction_ratio = 2.2745

And yeah, I use @CMDR Orvidius’ racing delivery, it’s amazingly well done!

Sure about the max_gross_weight? Should be 1322LBS as per JMB: https://www.jmbaircraft.com/aircraft

My fault, i put 1690 to add pilot and co-pilot max weight of 165lbs to avoid warning.

Ah I see, ok then :slight_smile: Could you see my GitHub entry?

For github, I must add you to collaborators. From the fork, I was able to find GotGravel (and I invited you). I also invited a “CodenameJack” but I don’t know if it’s the right one :slight_smile:
You can’t modify the repository from a fork, you have to create a merge request (it’s like a copy). It’s better, or simpler to become a collaborator of the repository so you will be able to modify it directly.

Seems it working as intended, the alarms begin to sound at 203KTAS and the consuption is over 8-9 gallons, 90% power and 5500rpm propeller, i guess i could reach 229 if i apply negative degrees. if i maintain 5800rpm it suffers and return to 5500rpm, so i don’t know if that’s good or not.

226ktas (425km/h), the plane still in one piece :smile:

I think we could tweak fuel flow a bit but i’m seeing the fuel pressure is at max, should we tweak that too?

2 Likes

Thanks, invitation accepted :+1:t2:

1 Like

Do you know how to manage the overweight displayed in the game? It seems surprising to me that with 50% fuel and just one passenger that we are overweight. Unless it makes sense with a Rotax 915?

That’s the only way i have found atm. But i will investigate it

More additions:

min_cruise_rpm = 1800; It was ok
min_required_rpm = 1400; Minimum Limit
fuel_press_max = 6480; max fuel pressure (psf) (you were right here)

min_gov_rpm = 615,52 ; Miminum governed RPM (1400 / 2.2745)

Seems the 5800rpm drops to below 5500rpm is normal since you can maintain 5800 for certain minutes, so is working as intended. 5500rpm is max normal cruise.

Thanks all for your incredible job on this “must have” to fly.

But I have a simple question
 My fuel gauges doesn’t move an inch on the G3X
 but fuel level down in the menu option
 where is the problem ?.. missing a value in aircraft.cfg or something else ?

it may be that the gauges could have been set for 2370 stock max fuel pressure when we have increased it to 6480
 I’m not sure, but i guess we would have to modify it the same way that airspeed numbers

Could be something like this?

2020-09-28_10h31_00

[FUEL_PRESSURE]
min = 0
lowLimit = 36
low_red_start = 36
low_red_end = 37
low_yellow_start = 37
low_yellow_end = 42
green_start = 42
green_end = 45
yellow_start = 46
yellow_end = 50
red_start = 50
red_end = 51
highLimit = 50
max = 51

sorry mate, you mean the fuel capacity not the fuel pressure sorry about that

may be this:

[FUEL_QUANTITY]
min = 0
lowLimit = 5
green_start = 12
green_end = 37
yellow_start = 5
yellow_end = 12
red_start = 0
red_end = 12
highLimit = 0
max = 37

@CodenameJack447 modifications reported on github, thanks :slight_smile:

Also, about the gauge in G3X, it will probably also need modifications on panel.xml, I guess.

Yup, I tested right the way
 nothing appened.

Here you can see Fuel QTY doesn’t match :point_right:t2:

@everyone
I have added a lot of configuration files from the aircraft on https://github.com/r9r-dev/fs2020-vl3-rotax915
Also added TEXTURE folder from the racing livery, so it will be the default livery if nothing is downloaded.
We will have to check files like the panel.xml. Will check later myself.

1 Like

Nice progress guys! In the meantime I made further refinements in the Airplane Geometry section based upon the POH and diagram measurements / Atan2 calculations. Out of these, the Wing Incidence will have the largest (positive) impact on the flight. Was 0 degrees before (totally nonsense for a GA plane) and I measured it to be 3 degrees. It will result in an easier takeoff, landing, better visibility and slightly more efficient flight (less drag).