VL3 - Rotax 915 mod

Does anyone know someone who would be keen to fix the interior visuals as per this illustration? (Carbon Fiber panel and darker interior structure instead of the white). The default one from Asobo feels quite unfinished. The leather and the seats have already been done as part of the awesome racing liveries by CMDR Orvidius.

Did extensive testing with the goal to obtain factory spec max cruise speed at FL180 (MP set to 30) reaching 370kph (200kts).

In combination with observations that the drag was way too high for such a sleek plane, modifying these 2 did the job:

trust_scalar = 2.2 (engines.cfg)
parasite_drag_scalar = 0.52 (flight_model.cfg)

Amen to that!

Btw, could you be experimenting some drastic random rpm drops from 5800rpm or lower ones?

I was noticing about it yesterday and iā€™m looking the root of the issue, maybe it has to do with the prop_moi but not sureā€¦

Mmmā€¦not noticed them in my tests but will keep an eye open.

Question though concerning max cruise power. I have assumed that is 30MP (where the green and white bars meet). Is this correct? Essential to know the correct cruise power setting in order to tweak the thrust scalar properly. Anyone knows? UPDATE: figured it out I thinkā€¦should look at MAX RATED RPMā€¦which is 5800ā€¦and corresponds with 30MP. Correct me if I am wrong though please.

maybe things like this could help to make an approach:

1 Like

Wow you guys are incredible! A huge thanks for your effort!

Btw: definitely no prop feathering.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words! This is still very much a work in progress by a team of people, and youā€™ll find more accurate models as we keep updating our GitHub project. Feedback welcome of course :slight_smile:

Hi, first of all: thanks for your collective effort in making the VL-3 faster!

I also noticed that is too slow and did some research (apologies if these findings have been posted before, the thread has become quite long already).

So from looking at the performance and weight data, it seems that they have modeled the Rotax 912ULS 475,5kg/1048lbs (German Microlight) version VL3-E/F. Technical information about this version can be found in the German registration documents: https://www.daec.de/fileadmin/user_upload/files/2019/Luftsportgeraete_Buero/Kennblatt/214-1.pdf

The observed performance (max speed ~235 km/h) of the plane matches that of the VL3-F (variant with fixed gear). Obviously we have a retractable gear in the model and the max speed for that should be 260 km/h (Variant VL3-E). Also I did not notice any speed change at all when retracting/extending gears in flight which suggests that they simply might not have modeled drag reduction of the retracted gears.

Doing so might fix the performance? I skimmed through the cfg files but could not find anything that relates to gear down/up performance. Does anybody have an idea which parameters control this?

Iā€™ve also submitted these findings to Zendesk, letā€™s see if something happens on thatā€¦ I think it would be great if they fix the included Rotax 912 variant and then anybody who wants to fly the Rotax 915 can rely on your mod.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the default model is wayyyy too slow, even for the 912ULS upon which it seems to be based. Rest assured we are working on the much more powerful 915iS which can do 370kph/200kts (TAS) at FL180 at max cruise power.

We are also doing so much more than just upgrading the engine to 141HPā€¦the aerodynamics are also vastly improved, general handling of the plane, braking, and a couple more surprises. Even the propeller settings (the 3 bladed Woodcomp KW-31) have been tweaked to exact factory standards. Anyway, we are quite confident the community is gonna love this plane once itā€™s modifications are complete! Our goal is to make our version of the VL-3 behave as much as possible as the original high-end 915iS Evolution edition.

A GitHub version with a whole bunch of improvements should be available soon (but will still be a work in progressā€¦so much to do).

Back to work! (haha)

Isnā€™t the thrust scalar the cause of the plane speeding off and flipping over during engine start?

Yes, I have flown the VL-3 in late 2018 in Kamenz, Germany. I believe it was a Rotax 912 version, retractable gear, and it was definitely faster than the default MSFS version. Also the big split flaps add a huge drag as soon as they are lowered more than the first setting. Also the gear adds a lot of drag. So while this plane has an insane climb rate for an ultralight it can dive extremely steep at 80km/h in landing config. Also the bank rate at ~ 160km/h was much higher than in the sim. Unfortunately I canā€™t be of more help as this 1h flight was done almost two years ago. So again thank you for your great work and in the meantime I am enjoying what youā€™ve already done =)

2 Likes

That was the power_scalar (which is now 1.0). Weā€™ve had no more rocket launches for a while now ever since that was fixed :slight_smile:

Great to have some feedback from someone who actually flew the VL-3! Interested in especially your drag experience on the flaps. These things are hugeā€¦and drag currently seems too little for their size. Could you tell me more? (dive angle, flap 3 or 4(max), was the gear down as well, etc). If I have this data, I can adjust the flap drag scalar to mimic your experience. The bank and roll rates in our work-in-progress model are already much more aggressive. Would be great if you could test this once our next release is available.

No, itā€™s the power scalar which does it

Iā€™m glad youā€™ve taken overā€¦Iā€™ve got very little time to commit to this (much less remember these details haha) - so thanks and great job!

Not taken over; contributing with passion :slight_smile:

May I ask whether you remember if the VL-3 has NAV frequency radio? I recently discovered that the X Cub is offered by Cub Crafters with the GTR 20 Comm radio and doesnā€™t have one (I filed a bug report and it got marked ā€œsolvedā€ already). This made me wonder if the same is true for VL-3. Since there is no interface for such radio on VL-3 (other than the AFAIK fictitious one on G3X) Iā€™m fairly confident the answer is ā€œnoā€, but verification would be nice.

Yes there is a NAV radio. You have to click on something LOLā€¦(Iā€™m opening the sim now to verify)

Yeah press MENU, then youā€™ll see this screen pop up

Additionally, you can program some autopilot functionsā€¦ default is Z to engage, then I use H for heading hold and A for altitude hold. You can then use the dials on lower left to change alt/heading

I meant VL-3 the real aircraft, sorry if I was unclear. X Cub also has that menu in-game, but the thing is that it shouldnā€™t have it because what Cub Crafters actually offers with it is GTR 20 remote mounted Comm only radio. Further, AFAIK the whole menu for NAV frequency tuning in G3X is fictitious, I can find no description of it in the G3X pilotā€™s guide.

I.e. in-game VL-3 has NAV radio. I think this is probably an error and it should be removed, but can someone verify?