VNLK - Lukla, New mountain at the end of the runway

I’m not sure when it happened but the end of the runway at VNLK is now blocked by a new large mountain making any take-off attempt or landing bound to fail.

This is new and obviously some kind of a scenery glitch but I’m wondering if I’m the only one or are there others with the same issue.

MSFS is updated to the latest version, all drivers are updated I have no major scenery add ons (not any that were installed lately so it’s puzzling

1 Like

Can you upload a screen shot of what you are seeing?

From runway start.

Side view - houses on the side are brand new

Closer to runway end - no way I can avoid that…

Indeed. I will confirm at this end tonight. Do you have any custom scenery for Lukla? If so, could you temporarily disable that to re-test. I have never seen this myself.

1 Like

Hello @Globalflyer1,

I just spawned an VNLK to validate this issue and am not personally seeing it. Everything looks as expected to me (see screenshots below, all captured on 2022-06-07). Is there a possibility that you have a scenery mod for this area installed that might be causing this issue?

Thanks,
MSFS Team

3 Likes

Hi, thank you for looking into this. I have no mode for Lukla. The only mod which is active (and I will verify it tomorrow) is the Himalayas mesh from Orbx however if it is there it was working perfectly up until a week ago (that’s when I went to Lukla again). There were no updates installed for scenery and the only add one installed in the last month were aircraft (Fenix, PMDG 737 and the LSH MD80). Can’t see any of them affecting this specific area.

I will spawn a flight tomorrow in the Himalayas region to see if it’s limited to VNLK or an area wide issue and report back.

Bingo! :wink:

2 Likes

The way to double-check if it’s the sim or an add-on is to remove ALL scenery add-ons, including the mesh. Double-check the Content.xml doesn’t have a ghost entry for it remaining, restart the sim. Clear Rolling Cache, exit the sim, start it again.

3 Likes

You may find that some areas you spawn at don’t have a bug height difference between the Asobo, and Orbx data, so may not be as obvious something is wrong.

I would simply remove the addon, and spawn st Lukla, as that one at least we know to have an issue with.

Double checked my FS2020 v1.25.9.0 for VNLK airport.
Surrounding mountainous terrain looks the same as always. Default Bing map data, Photogrammetry ON, Render Scale, Terrain, Objects LOD set 200 and other Ultra high settings

I’ve posted several fly ins to Lukla. A real pleasure to land and take off from here.

It’s the ORBX mesh. Has the same problem. Uninstalled it until they get it sorted.

Yes, mine looks fine, and I don’t have that mesh.

Well, the Orbx Himalayas scenery was uninstalled and Lukla is back to it’s former glory.

The one thing I don’t understand is, this scenery was installed over 3 monthes ago and I visited Lukla many times afterwards without a problem so why now ? what changed ???

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time and responding.

Important - Another mesh published by Orbx, The Iceland mesh have caused my Sim to CTD so it was booted out long time ago. I should be very cautious with mesh products in the future.

1 Like

The only mesh products I have used where the 10m high-res ones that are available on flightsim.to. I have never paid for any, and after the SU that covered Switzerland, I ended up removing those.

most likely, SU9. I’ve had to disable my Orbx New Zealand mesh for now.

Orbx meshes have been excellent. High Def, good performance and almost no LOD “pop-in” compared to default.

Asobo broke all their meshes with a change in SU9. Orbx NZ has just been patched and updated with some areas in very high detail, it’s working and looking great. I’m sure the other Orbx meshes will be updated very soon.

Just FYI, Their Iceland mesh has never caused any CTD’s here, permanently installed since release.

3 Likes

orbx high def ?
you forgot in msfs there is 2 m default mesh; that is high def mesh

…in a tiny amount of areas.

Show me one area where the Orbx mesh isn’t higher res than default…

1 Like

that is not the point
high definition mesh is = high resolution
third parties meshes certainly are not; other than few areas
high resolution or high definition is 5 m or below;

ORBX Himalaya and Central Asia Mesh Broken - Third Party Addon Discussion / Scenery Packs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Excellent. Please link me to the place the defines “High-Def” mesh as 5m or better. I suspect that its actually YOUR definition of High Def.

Orbx meshes are 10m or better. If you dont count 10m as high def then fair enough. I certainly do.