vPilot and Honeycomb Alpha

@dsweingard,
Yes, I was one of the first to pre-order my Bravo Throttle direct from Honeycomb, and it arrived a couple weeks ago. Unboxing was uneventful, but then I had already seen several unboxings on YouTube. I plugged it in and MSFS found the device. The default profile that MSFS provided was pitiful. The throttles were mapped backwards (engine one was engine two, and vice-versa), the Prop and Mixture was also backwards. On first operation, the LED’s were non functional. We were told by Honeycomb that this would be addressed in the recent update from Microsobo… it was not.

Instead, I found a driver on the Aerosoft website that applies for the Bravo unit… even though the Honeycomb website says there is no driver needed. That driver, once installed, apparently loads automatically for those who purchased their MSFS software through Steam, but since I bought through the Microsoft Store, I have to kick it off manually each time I fly. Again… this should be addressed by Honeycomb and Microsoft eventually… someday… hopefully. It does work however, as long as I remember to fire off the third party driver manually.

Because the Throttle unit also uses switches, where buttons are expected… it will also cause the now famous 100+ and 1000+ unit problem. The workaround for that is to disable over half of the functionality of both the Alpha and Bravo devices. So much for that “Partner Relationship” the two have.

To answer your question directly, yeah… I’m happy with the Bravo Throttle, once I got it dialed in.
The Trim Wheel specifically is awesome. With respect to the Auto Pilot buttons and dials… I think I still prefer my Logitech Multi-Panel. Mostly because of the displays and the larger (readable in a dark cockpit) backlit text and buttons. The Trim Wheel and the Gear Lever on the Bravo are better than the equivalent on the Logitech. The Logitech does however have a large switch for the Auto Throttle functionality which many aircraft have (such as the Cessna Longitude that I’m growing to love).

I know I sound a bit frustrated by my Alpha and Bravo purchases, but honestly, they are both the best devices in their class and price point.

That’s my $.02. (currently)