VR and Reverb G2 Launch

I don’t think there’s deception here. They had a target for themselves - VR release by G2 release. But VR implementation is taking longer than expected, so it didn’t happen.

Bummer for those who bought a G2 with the expectation that they’d be using it for MSFS when they got it. But that’s all it is – a delay. A delay of possibly a few weeks, maybe longer.

Should ASOBO allow all those with WMR headsets into the Beta? Yes. We’ll see if that happens. But in the end, they won’t have screwed anybody over just because they released VR a little late.

2 Likes

Hold on there. The quote was “We intend to release…”. That some media write “will be compatible at lanch” (for a juicy clickbaity headline), and people believing questionable media coverage over the real words is up to them. Not MS or Asobo.

Where was that quote from Jorg from btw? Was it on a livestream, or an official media announcement? (curious, I honestly don’t know)

4 Likes

Good Point. On the hunt for advertising money and tracking the users, almost all media turn a topic into a Clickbaiting-Babuschka. I basically only trust what the source says.

In the video on the first post about 2:40.

I agree btw. I’m partly kicking myself that I got suckered in by bad reporting; taking Tweets from IGN etc at face value. At the time it seemed like getting a G2 would have a nice bonus of getting MSFS VR a few weeks or months early, and I didn’t dig deeper. I don’t normally fall for stuff like this.

1 Like

We see what we want to see! I thought I’d be playing MSFS in VR by mid September. Oops XD

1 Like

To be fair, it’s easy to fall for it, especially if it aligns with something you’re really excited about.
Don’t worry though, it will release, and from the specs I’ve seen so far the Reverb looks to be a pretty darned nice piece of kit.

I’ve made it a point to never pre-order anything. I always wait for 3rd party reviews. It means I’m going to have to wait a couple of weeks/months longer to get my hands on stuff, but it prevents me from being burned, or annoyed when the product doesn’t end up meeting the hype.

Me too normally, but the delays to get new shiny stuff due to Covid swayed me.

For extra context. If we believe Eurogamer, Jorg Neumann talked to them directly and confirmed that VR would be coming to the G2 first. It wasn’t just the media making stuff up, MS were specifically briefing them.

(I think I read this article at the time)

While VR support isn’t exclusive to the headset [G2] it will make its first appearance there before rolling out to other headsets. “We’re starting with them,” Microsoft’s head of Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann told Eurogamear.”

that could still be true though?

I did not pre-order the G2 just because of FS2020. I have other ideas, like maybe other game, travel, museums etc. pp. So it does not matter to me when VR will be available in FS2020. The risk that you get with a pre-ordered, not fully developed hardware is of course high. You don’t have to fool yourself. For sure there will - as always - be a rev 2 later available :slight_smile:

Therefore I agree with you.

Maybe having a G2 gives you a magic pass to the beta. That would be great.

I have a Reverb G1 and didn’t get in, so I’m a bit sceptical now though, hence me moaning here :smiley:

It’s a beta test, not a ‘early-access for VR users’.

I would guess they want a nice representation of different VR sets / hardware combinations.
Maybe they already had loads of people with G1’s, and didn’t need more. Who knows. If you get your G2 soon, you might get in, you might not. It all depends on the population of testers they already have, and if they feel they need more of a certain type.

I suggest following this topic as well:

Where Moderators provided useful information, including the fact that will be kept open the collection of subscribers for the beta.

1 Like

I never buy anything just because developers do just this. I’ll always wait, because I know better and dont fall for the hype

I’m guessing you got in finally because you have VR Beta Participant next to your name.

All I know is that the HP Reverb G2 was marketed a lot for their VR announcement. What was the reason behind this? Just $ or a deal with HP for involvement in a future project?

Two reasons, I think. MS is keen to show the world that they are a serious contender in VR/AR with Windows Mixed Reality. Having a flagship headset tied to multi-million selling game launch affirms that.

Secondly, VR helps sell copies of MSFS. If they can promote it alongside an MS friendly company like HP, that’s commercially much better than pushing people to Facebook or Valve products, who are direct competitors.

1 Like

Did you check your spam folder for the invite? My VR Beta invite went to spam. It looks like you are in the VR beta because it says so next to your name.

Thanks. Yep I am now as I reuploaded my DxDiag with the headset attached and asked (in another post) whether I could be reconsidered for the beta. Seems I made the grade!

1 Like

@NickHod42

same here, if it weren’t for Nicks post re. connecting VR headset during dxdiag,

Thanks for making us aware, Nick, I didn’t have the Reverb connected either when I originally submitted the Dxdiag file.

I now resubmitted it with the Reverb connected in the hope for reconsideration. Anything else I should do…?