VR Mode Smooth, Until The Headset Activates! Quest 2 Stuttering Badly, Regardless of Headroom

Really? I’ve been running AirLink ASW Disabled, and have it almost smooth, but only in the air. While on the ground (or within about 200feet of the ground), I get the stuttering. Tonight I will attempt with ASW…

I was downright shocked. It’s the only thing that has changed on my system besides installing VD, and there wouldn’t be any correlation to the latter. I find that ASW functions much better than SSW for the kind of visualization that you have in this game, so if the performance continues, I could see using this moving forward.

i got -15% to -30% performance headroom, NO MATTER THE SETTINGS or no matter anything i do. I followed any guide i could follow.
No luck.
2080ti, ryzen7 3800x
I think i give up.
(Oh, any other VR games are simply buttersmooth, Alyx full detail, Lone Echo full detail, ecc…)

Make sure to force your ASW. Mine usually runs with -50% headroom but the forced ASW brings it up to a smooth 72fps.

Additionally, and this was the biggest performance gain for me: lower the MSFS render scale and increase your SS with the Debug Tool.

For whatever reason, the game’s render scale is a gigantic drag on the performance, but by comparison, SS is not. Par example, 100 render scale with 0 SS performs terribly for me, yet 50 render scale and 1.5 SS runs far, far better and has virtually the same clarity. You will have to fiddle with the numbers to find your own best, but for me, the magic combo was 40 render scale, 1.7 SS. Runs better for me than 50 with 1.6, or 30 with 1.8, and has great clarity. I just kept trying back and forth, increasing one and decreasing the other. Try to also do a rapid fire adjustment of the graphic settings with the Performance readout from ODT up. Pause the game and change a setting one at a time, hit apply, and watch your headroom. It’s really convenient with the game paused because you’ll be able to get an immediate readout of your gain or loss without having to jump back into the game each time.

1 Like

Sorry to ask Nataniel, but… what´s SS in ODT?
Nevermind, I found it in Oculus Tray tool, but it doesn’t look to make any difference to me. And de ASW is still causing stutters. I’ll keep trying.

It’s the supersampling option, called “Pixels Per Display Override” in the tool. You’ll have to toggle the VR mode off and back on each time in order for the change to execute, but no need to reset the entire game.

edit: I’ll backtrack and see if there’s anything else that I might have changed for you. Off the cuff, I’m using NVidia driver v496.13, VSync set to fast with pre-rendered frames set to 3 in the control panel settings.

edit 2: don’t be afraid to restart everything if your performance starts suffering no matter what you do. I ran into times where it was like the game just started performing worse and worse the more I fiddled around.

1 Like

Yeah Its crazy how big are errors with Quest. I have tried Quest 2 with controllers and now cant click anything in cockpit with them or even mouse and game is unplayable at all. Looking for help for 3 days.

can someone share complete settings (Nvidia CP/SteamVR/VD settings and in game) to run VD with quest 2 ?

My hardware

MSI 3060 TI not OC yet
8700 not the K version
32GB ram
FS2020 on seperate 970 pro nvme drive

Same issue here with Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11. Pretty much same behavior. I have been going back and forth with HTC on this for the last several days. They even replaced my headset. I sent them my logfiles and they finally said they are having compatibility issues currently with Windows 11.

Oculus confirmed it is an issue on their end with Windows 11 and Quest 2 currently:

" Hi there fellow gamers! Since the recent update, Windows 11 has not been compatible with the Quest 2. We know that this is an issue and are working towards new updates. Window 10 is still compatible and recommended for your device."

MSFS for Quest 2 is just broken AND THEY HAVE TO FIX IT ALREADY!

(sorry, in a bad mood as I spent hours in trying to fly instead of actually flying)

I probably fooled around with it for a week until I got it playing well. It was worth the headache. You’ll get it eventually, don’t give up!

Yeah, but after this week and all running fine it just all of a sudden decides that it doesn’t want to work anymore. It’s like lottery and it shouldn’t be. It should be plug & play, not plug & pray.

I got so frustrated with the situation (high end PC + windows 11 + quest 2 = stutterfest) that I returned my quest and got a Reverb G2 V2 on sale. Much smoother. This sim kills me, it’s so beautiful yet so temperamental.

Reverb G2 using Open XR with Open XR Developer Tools is da bomb for VR with this sim. Absolutely awesome!

Do you mean than using Microsoft mix reality only, so uninstall the oculus app on windows it’s getting better ?
Because i have a lot a stutter especially when I do aerobatic like aileron roll, at the end of the wings the image is south but not clear, .
I have good config : 32go ram , 3600x , rtx 3060ti.
So it’s a software problem in my opinion

Thanks you all

Install the last NVIDIA Driver, I got like 15 more fps (not % i really mean 15 from 25 to 40fps)
But I also installed the steamVR beta so …

I did not mention open xr
i had a 3060TI they onlyw way for me to get this working was with Virtual desktop on a quest 2.
Just bought a 3080 and reverb 2 so new ball game

Reverb g2 + Open XR Developer Tools + MSFS 2020 = Flight Sim Bliss!

Well fixed it all last night and indeed.
What a Joy. So much better then the Quest 2.
Its nit the resolution its the overall experience.
Doubted for a while but happy I did it.
Happy flying!!

So mines just broken. I found that turning the rendering res to minimum doesn’t make a jot of difference. Left at 100%, I noticed if I take my headset off and look at the screen I see two perfectly rendered fisheye images happily chugging away at a respectable frame rate, CPU is only about 50% and graphics not maxed out. So the problem is something isolated to the link. Its using USB 3.1 and plenty of bandwidth.

I see people fixed it by using a different headset and thats not helpful at all because thats like saying you fixed your car by driving a different one. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t use it for a couple of months so lots of stuff updated and I’m not sure what broke it, but everything is up to date I think.

I use MSFS2020 directly from the MS Store, I have oculus installed, I start that connect using the link, fire up MSFS2020 and then when I hit a button I have assigned it fire us VR. That worked perfectly and now its scrap.

Others talk of using VD or Steam VR or some other stack of random things. I installed Steam and Steam VR and I do have Virtual Desktop but I’m baffled as to exactly what to try, especially as my steam vr doesn’t appear to detect my headset. Any pointers in this would be greatly received.

1 Like