VR, New Issue, Reverb G2, Post Update 7, Lag and flickering

OK, so I need a little help and the forums have become so bloated and fragmented that finding anything is becoming a full time job.
Rig: I9900K // 32MB Ram // 2080TI // Reverb G2 // Latest OXR
Prior to Update 7, everything had been tweaked for the best possible outcome in VR and in accordance with some of the excellent setup help here.
OXR 80 … Sim at 100% and other general settings matched to recommended.
Average 20 to 25 fps at 1000ft smooth, frame limit capped to 30fps super smooth at higher altitudes. Glass Cockpit and everything in general somewhat blurry unless you have the sweet spot dialed in and you pause 1/4 second looking at something in particular ( No Head Movement ) in which case things sharpen up quite nicely.
Post update 7…
All the usual nonsense, settings reset, control bindings lost, mouse menus missing etc. Basically the same cluster $%^ we see after every update. Dove back in to the forums and spent a couple of hours in the sim getting everything re-aligned. ( Its fun having to do this after every update…Fun like sucking wet fecal matter through a smelly sock )
However…
Something very weird is happening after toggling VR that I have not found the like of in the forums yet.
Sometimes right away, sometimes after 10 minutes or more runtime, headset lags horrifically. It’s a roller coaster ride of vomit inducing efficiency. The point of interest flags are no longer tied to the geographical terrain and ’ float ’ with head movement while they, and everything else bounce around horribly at about 3-5 fps. During this nonsense, either screen in the G2 flicker randomly. Booting out of VR or the Sim is now mostly a task manager requirement and if a normal CTRL TAB reversion to 2D can be made, then an Open OXR error is manifested the best answer to which is a reboot anyway.
Interestingly…
Task manager reveals both SteamVR and WMR running which brings me to my questions.
I have four:

1. What the heck is going on?
  2. If I bought the game from the MS Store why would I need Steam for anything?
  3. How do I stop SteamVR from booting whenever I toggle VR ingame?
  4. In other words, what is the best setup for VR with reference to OpenXR when you have bought the game via the MS Store?

Regards.
Marc

3 Likes

Hi there,

When you get the chance, please consider updating your topic’s title. Your title should be short, simple, and should allow users to understand the purpose of your topic without opening it.

Good titles are important as they improve the chance others will find your topic when using the search system, and when browsing through the topic feed.

You can change your topic title by clicking the pencil icon next to your topic title at the top of the thread.

Thank you.

1 Like

I have similar issues, if i exit vr and go back in the fps drops to 3. I have to kill the wmr app then retry and often retrying comes up with an error about openxr not found and cant enter vr, then i have to restart the whole sim and retest, some 3 minutes later.

2 Likes

Yes, Yes! I’ve been suffering from this same problem since SU7. I’ve been flying in VR since it was released a year ago, and now for the first time I am unable to play it. Can we bring this issue to the attention of the Devs somehow?

6 Likes

Same issue.
i9
64gig
Dual Q RTX 4000
MS Store and WMR
Screens switching in 2D is very glitchy after this VR problem starts. It’s a system reset to fix.

1 Like

Same here too!
i9 10900K
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
64GB Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4
Reverb G2 VR

1 Like

…aaand same for me. i7-9700K, 64 GB RAM, RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2. It didn’t happen directly, I did a flight post SU7 install with the Turbo Arrow III. Then I tested the Cub NX, no problems. Then I hopped into the F/A-18 and all was well for 20 minutes or so - nice with the collimated HUD! - and then suddenly WHAM, exactly as described:

“The point of interest flags are no longer tied to the geographical terrain and ’ float ’ with head movement while they, and everything else bounce around horribly at about 3-5 fps.”

I can revert to pancake, where everything appears normal, but after this all VR regardless of plane has been immediate vomit comet.

I updated drivers and such right before SU7.

Edit: just started SkyrimVR. No problems there.

2 Likes

Same here.

I9-10850 / 32mb ram / 3080 / Reverb G2 / Steam

1 Like

Same here! Nauseating and I used to teach aerobatics in real life. All I want to do is fly and the sim gets broken after EVERY update!

i9 10850, 32 GB, 3090, Open XR

Update.
I just had a 40-minute flight in VR without any hint of the VR wiggle (I wish there was a better word to call it. VR dance? The whirl?)
Before SU7 I have been running VR successfully with Game Mode and HAGS off, but I noticed that somehow HAGS had been turned back on–(maybe with a NVidia or OpenXR update?) Anyway, I turned them both off, restarted the computer, booted the game and had my first full flight since SU7.

I can’t say for sure if this was THE fix, but at least it worked for me this time.

2 Likes

exactly the same but when I go back to pancake if I move the camera (right click mouse) a little bit quick then the nameplates and some elements are also “floating”, the effect is a lot less than using the headset but still…

I tried to enable the “homecockpit” mode in camera settings + shaking off, same issue, it’s happening after 5-10min of flight whatever the aircraft :confused:

same here. for the first time since release VR is completely shaky stutterfest and unplayable to me. Insane flickering on each screen with GPU maxed completely out. Prior to this update everything was running buttersmooth. 5800x, RTX3080, HP G1

Yes, I also had this phenomenon yesterday, along with other things that no longer work. Camera settings, AI starts the plane, without any command or setting from me, sometimes no jumping from VR to 2D and back, etc … It’s really not fun to struggle with massive bugs or reset settings after every update. It often takes days and hours of forum research to get everything back to the way it should be. It really has to get better! Please and thanks so much! :triumph:

I tried turning HAGS off. You know, it might have helped. After doing that I did a maybe half-hour flight in the F/A-18 with no problems. Well, no graphics-related problems.

Same here. Unplayable now in VR :frowning:

3 Likes

Not unplayable, but faster head movements got the black mask stuttering. This was not happening for a long time. Also reduced frame rates with G2

Nice Job.
HAGS was indeed somehow turned on for me also. I just flew an hour or so in VR in the CRJ and the issue did not manifest.
Still CTD when toggling back to 2D but at least the sim is useable now.

Link for guide on disabling HAGS in Win 11 ( Its similar for 10 )

Cheers SamuraiSax!

1 Like

half the time i start VR im getting 7 fps, the other half its normal, i cant figure out why though. I try shutting down wmr then redoing it or even rebooting and the same thing still occurs.

Random. edit: another time i let it go for about 2 mins and suddenly it went up to 30 fps.

Also at least 30% of the time when you launch VR mode it crashes the sim (win10), event viewer usually KERNELBASE.dll issues (community folder is clean), fsuipc might be the only thing loading, though i just realized its one folder isnt in community (fsuipc-lvar-module) since it was a wiped clean folder, not sure if its related to the crashes.

edit: i think what was really curing the single digit issue was to windows key + y then to alt tab out of the msfs window the cursor, keep it on the desktop then suddenly it went from 8-12 fps to 30 (feels like the early days of xp11 and the weird mouse icon being on causing issues)

i9-10900k, RTX 3080, 32GD Reverb G2
Same here, floating labels, flickering, jumpy when I move my head

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

I have followed many of the YouTube settings recommendations without fixing the problem.

It usually starts up OK and then goes bad a minute or so after I begin the VR flight.

Turned HAGS to Off. Problem looks fixed. No floating labels. No flickering.

Thank you to those who replied re this issue !!!

1 Like

I was flying for about 2 hours and while in the FA18 over Tasmania, my VR went shaky again and labels started to float again. Checked HAGS but this was still off. A complete restart fixed the problem.