VR not working with Open XR (Reverb G2)

Whenever I try to enter VR mode with OpenXR enabled, the sim enters VR mode for a second, before reverting to normal. There are no error messages / explanations as to what has happened, there is no CTD either. If I use SteamVR, without OpenXR enabled, I can enter VR mode with no problem. This is not ideal however, as I would like to optimise my VR experience by using OpenXR.

On one or two occasions (with OpenXR enabled), I have been able to enter VR mode, but I can only see black in my headset, and I can see that the screen doesnā€™t move when I move the headset (in other words - it seems that MSFS and the headset arenā€™t linked).

Within regedit, I have the following - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1 pointed towards C:\WINDOWS\system32\MixedRealityRuntime.json. VR simply will not work when this is the case.

If I use SteamVR and point HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1 towards C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json, VR DOES work, but as I explained, I do not want to use SteamVR without OpenXR.

If I enable OpenXR within SteamVR, the regedit changes back to C:\WINDOWS\system32\MixedRealityRuntime.json and VR no longer works.

I have HDR turned off in Windows and MSFS, if that makes any difference. Any help would be much appreciated so I can finally use Open XR to optimise VR properly, cheers in advance!

System specs:

i9-10900k
GTX 3090
32GB DDR4 RAM
M.2 SSD

It sounds like you are using the OpenXR Developer Tools. If that is true, go to the Developer Settings tab and disable ā€œUse latest preview OpenXR runtimeā€. I was having issues until I disabled that.

Thanks for the suggestion mate, unfortunately hasnā€™t worked. Just prior to doing that, I was getting the black screen as described above. After disabling ā€˜Use latest preview OpenXR runtimeā€™, it goes into VR for a split second and then reverts to normal (as also described above).

If yourself or anyone else has any other suggestions itā€™d be much appreciated!

Hereā€™s my settings. Good Luck

Thereā€™s some interesting reading on this thread
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/hp-reverb-g2-new-firmware-is-out

Thanks again, unfortunately hasnā€™t worked :frowning:

I wasnā€™t sure what you meant by enabling OXR. That would be the normal op mode with the G2 with the store version of the sim. Not knowing how long youā€™ve been using the G2, I thought the thread link would familiarize you with some of the oddities like the low voltage USB conditions that are solved with a powered USB strip. And then thereā€™s the bad cables with the original design. Iā€™m on a replacement cable. As far as OXR and the developer version, you can uninstall and reinstall from the MS Store. That assumes the registry is still in itā€™s original state. Iā€™ve had times when the HS doesnā€™t switch to VR with the keyboard command but a repeat usually wakes it up and works. Hope you narrow down the issue. WMR/OXR should work out of the box.

In WMR set openXR as the runtime then uninstall SteamVR. See if that works

Your suggestion worked for me. Not sure I was having the same problem as the original post. I would be able to go into VR, stay in VR, but as soon as I switched out of VR, I could not get back in. I had the message of make sure you have Open XR enable, or something like that. Once I switch to disable latest preview on the Developmental Tool setting, and shutdown and restarted the sim, this problem as gone away, and I can freely switch back and fourth.

1 Like

I had the same problem until i disabled the latest preview option ā€¦ Must be a bug as this issue did not happen prior to OpenXR being updated

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.