VR rumour?

Presbyopia can come in different degrees of severity depending on how old you are and whether you have had cataract surgery, etc. Being almost 75 now and having had cataract surgery (natural lenses removed and replaced by fixed “infinite” focal length plastic lenses), I have reasonably severe presbyopia. I need a diopter correction of at least +2.5 OD to focus on things close up and about +1.25 OD to see things 3 to 5 ft. away clearly.

We got a kiddie VR science kit for the holidays for our grandkids that uses a smartphone inserted in a set of goggles. There, the image on the smartphone screen is very close to my eyes and unless I wear full lens reading glasses or use a smartphone VR headset offering diopter correction, the 3D image generated is very blurry for me, e.g. helicopter flying thousands of feet over an active volcano.

Perhaps high-end VR goggles are more flexible in how they generate the image. This two-year old Reddit post on an Oculus discussion forum claims most high-end VR images are presented as if they are at least 1.5 m (6 ft) away (actually, 4.9 ft) and if you can see clearly at that distance with presbyopia (and/or hyperopia - far-sightedness), you’ll be able to wear a high-end VR headset without any further correction. And the post claims, just as I found for the kiddie smartphone VR headset, that wearing reading glasses under the headset with a + OD correction will help if you have really bad eyes. kwx comments on VR for Presbyopia users? (reddit.com) (have to click “View Entire Discussion,” then “Continue This Thread,” to see kwx’s comments in their entirety).

So sometime in the New Year, I’ll have to give it a try and see how clearly high-end VR goggles work for me with and without some + OD diopter help.

Edit_Update: I see back on September 3rd, Kilrahvp also mentioned being able to focus at least down 2 to 3 m as the critical distance but I’d forgotten and have since looked up my prescription. Looks like I’m in danger of crossing that distance threshold. VR rumour? - #29 by Kilrahvp

Update02: Found a video by Sebastian Ang on what size glasses will fit inside Reverb G2. Also mentions the possibility of 3rd-party lens adapters to add to G2 lenses: https://youtu.be/C_u7xiJRQME