VR, spinning propeller generates TAA and Reprojection artifacts. Can I remove propeller texture altogether?

This is a bit of a weird one…

Specs:
Win10
i7-4790
16Gb Ram
1080 Ti
Oculus CV1

VR experience is decent with the Tray Tool running at 2x oversampling and in-game graphics scale turned down to 50%
Getting around 25-30 fps according to MSFS FPS counter.
Big photogrametry cities such as LA are un-flyable but for the bush piloting and even my photogrametry home town of Tampa/St.Pete in Florida is fine.

The biggest annoyance for me at the moment in VR is TAA and Reprojection through the propeller of the aircraft.
Essentially the TAA and Reprojection cannot handle the propeller’s spinning texture and generate pixelated picture of the world when looking through the spinning blades.

I wonder if its possible to hide the propeller altogether?

There are propellor mods you can apply

2 Likes

While these mods don’t eliminate the problem in VR, they certainly make enough of a difference to see.

I did add the mod for the non G1000 172 and in VR I still am seeing the issue.

1 Like

Maybe try asking the mod author if they are able to entirely remove the visibility of the prop for VR?

1 Like

This is fantastic! It did exactly what I was hoping it to do. The flickering of the propeller is still there, so it doesn’t brake the immersion, and in all honesty I think it looks much better now anyway, none of that grey cartoony circle of the propeller and just a slight flicker to let you know its there and all artifacts are now gone!!!
I did test this only with Cessna 152 so haven’t seen how this mod looks with other planes, but so far so good.

Thank you!

If you are using an Oculus headset, those artefacts will reduce dramatically if you disable ASW.

There are two types of artifacts. The reprojection stretching, yes, the whole stretching of the image that sometimes occurs when the frames dip really badly, but I do like ASW and try to fly with it to reduce motion sickness.

The second type looks to be more a combination of anti-aliasing and reprojection, and that one doesn’t fully go away if ASW is turned off. And it is most annoying as the far away scenery starts to look like Mario World looking through the propeller in VR, while its nice and crisp everywhere else.

For that to disappear…we either need the fps to go to 90 or above in VR or available headsets that can run flicker free at lower freq, perhaps 60Hz. We have none of that atm.

Yeah I’ve noticed it even in flat screen - it’s especially evident when running below 100% render resolution and there is TAA upscaling occuring. There are certain lighting conditions that make it more obvious than others.

In VR you may find that aspect of it reduces if you can run at 100% render resolution but of course that is often easier said than done currently.

Glad the mod has sorted it for you - enjoy!

Yes its very much scenery dependent and lighting. I think that is why this hasn’t surfaced up much because you have to have certain details to be present in the scenery to start seeing these artifacts to the extent where it breaks the immersion. I fly over a flat land and we have a series of small lakes and ponds strewn together very closely to each other. These items provide a big contrast as they reflect the sky on a relatively dark ground, and since I fly low and slow, the angle that I’m seeing them at compresses them into a string of pixels. All that combined and the anti-aliasing has a really hard time to show this correctly without flicker. I also run 50% scale in Sim with 200% upscale via Oculus Tray Tool or Oculus Debug Tool, and it creates a perfect storm of artifacts that start to really detract from the enjoyment.

I’m not that bothered by this when I’m flying in mountainous terrain, it usually becomes extremely evident with flat lands, coastal line if it has a lot of deep breaks in it, and small bodies of water in the distance.

That was my original setup, I had 100 in sim, and no upscale outside of it.
The quality of the image is undeniably much better other way around, with 50 in sim and 200 in Oculus.
But that did worsen this whole propeller artifact issue as they’ve gotten even blockier looking through the propeller.
It has got to be something with the transparency and how its being interpreted by the TAA and ASW. Lowering graphical scale in sim has made artifacts chunkier, while the rest of the picture got much more clear and crisp.
With this mod that Zeeflyboy posted, propellers seem to have a lot more transparency to them, but not gone entirely, and that has completely remediated the issue. I’m getting a nice, relatively crisp image through the propeller the same as I do looking through the side window. Its AWESOME!!!

1 Like

I now gotta figure out the propeller for Piaggio and I’m in heaven. :slight_smile:

The problem is that the sim renders the prop as a spinning texture in an attempt to make it look like it does in photos or videos of a prop…due to shutter speed and video frames per sec. It’s not what a spinning prop looks like with your eyes.

To actually be real, it should show the prop blades when stopped, rotating while cranking, then nothing at all when running, or maybe a slightly gray transparent disc with no rotation.

That’s all you see sitting behind one. The attempt to make it look like a prop in a video is causing issues with motion repro.

3 Likes

There is also a mod for the deluxe pack:

1 Like

As reprojection causes the aritfacts then disabling will remove it, go figure… :slight_smile:

I’ve found that if you can get the sim running at 45 fps which I have in my G2 then the airtifacts are much reduced and sometimes depending on time of day hardly noticible.

I do think some planes have a more friendly prop animation than others, might be me but the Robin DR400 for example is better than the JMB VL/3.

Yeah its pretty simple actually. I’ve went into some of the additional aircraft that I’ve purchased as mods, and all of them have a Prop texture. I do know Photoshop a little bit and with a bit of trial and error figured out the settings for the DDS exporter. I’ve modified a couple of prop textures already by reducing the alpha channel quite a bit, and it makes a huge difference. In all honesty, even if you are not bothered by the artifacts, I would still modify the propeller alpha as the result is a lot more pleasing. You just see a bare flicker of the prop spinning.

With my rig I cannot get anywhere near 45 frames, even with everything turned down. I do like what I’m getting with these new alphas though, so no complaints here. No artifacts, and the propeller animation looks much much better to me at least.

This mod works great, but contrary to the install instructions, you have to put the separate folders in the community folder, if you dump just the Prop_MODS_Community folder in, the mods dont work…
thanks for posting it :ok_hand:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.