Vr stopped , can't switch to vr

I had vr working perfectly with oculus 2 . Oculus link. No issues. After a few weeks off the system I tried to switch to vr today and the system did not respond all settings as they were only obvious change is the latest msfs update and oculus update. Can anyone shed any light on this. Its not the installation as all was functioning and hasn’t changed.

1 Like

the same for me

1 Like

Same here.

Are you setting your OpenXR registry entry to SteamVR if wireless or Oculus if using Link?

Yes I’ve tried in both steam via virtual desk top and oculus link. Also set registry to point to openXR in oculus folders and open XR in steam vr folders.

As far as registry - just to make sure for Quest 2 (version 27.0.0.45.507):

Registry entry - HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

For Link - C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

For SteamVR wireless with Quest2 loaded (not PC loaded ) Virtual Desktop -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json

I start SteamVR manually to make sure I have it’s background in the HMD display first and see “headset detected” with both controllers

Also - my config:
Windows 10 winver = 20H2 build 19042.868
Oculus App Version 27.1.0.47.507 (27.1.0.47.507)
SteamVR 1.17.5
Nvidia Driver = 465.89 (or 457.30 )
MSFS2020 1.14.6.0 with most recent 17GB download

Just now (4/13/2021 1:05 PST) checked them both with about 2000x2000 final resolution
My PC = 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070

This doesn’t address the problem. The issue is with MSFS. When you switch to VR either with hot key or through the option menu. Nothing happens, no error message, no dual image on flat screen, no flicker it’s as if the control is completely ignored. This is a new condition it has only happened in the last few weeks and has nothing to do with setup as nothing has changed there. Please someone shed some light on this. It has destroyed my enjoyment of msfs. Where is the support for this.

1 Like

It is working fine for most of us so there must be something special about your configuration. You haven’t said what versions of anything that you have and what hardware - actually a lot has changed in the last few weeks - SteamVR, MSFS, nvidia, … We are trying to help but you have to try to isolate the problem. Are you sure that you have gotten window focus on MSFS before you enter the VR mode from the keyboard. Maybe you could try reassigning the VR mode switch keys. Are all your other games working fine.

Same here, worked fine before the last perfornance update and Oculus update. Now it is a hit or miss.
Exact same issues as everyone described, everything set up like before no changes to registry etc.

I fly Oculus in DCS works everytime, in MSFS it is less than 50 / 50 and on top of that it can sometime screw up halfway through.

Only game that gives me trouble is MSFS, it is a hopeless case with the updates that keep screwing it over again and again. Something is not liking the Oculus updates…

I’m sorry . I don’t understand the term window focus. I am now sat at the computer so will give you the following:

OCULUS APP VERSION 28.0.0.222.469 (28.0.0.222.469)

can’t find release version for msfs.

Saitek yoke and rudder pedales, 2x trim wheels, 2x throttle quadrants.

Steam built Apr 12 2021, 11:53:44
Steam Api: v020
Steam package versions: 1618256785

Processor intel(R) Core™ i5-8600k CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.6 GHz
Installed Ram 16.0 GB
64 bit operating system x64 based processor

Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
BUILD 19042.867
EXPERIENCE windows feature Experience pack 120.2212.551.0

Reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
default (value not set)
Active run time C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json
Have also tried steamxr_win64.json

I have repaired msfs no change.
Then reset msfs no change. Run out of ideas.

Have tried all suggestions, pretty standard stuff available on support pages concerning openxr and re-edit. Dindnt expect this to work msfs support seems to have nothing to offer. Went back to P3d v4 loaded and ran in VR without a hitch, took off from Dundee in AA spitfier flew to Blackpool landed parked. Went for lunch. Forgot how nice it was to start up and fly without several minutes wIting for the software to load. Bliss.

When I run MSFS - I see from the Task Manager that I am using 19gb of RAM memory - maybe you need more than 16GB? Window focus - I simply mean that the MSFS window (I run a smaller than full screen window) has a blue title bar which states the version number - 1.14.6.0. Also I have read elsewhere that there might be a problem with our USB controllers sometimes - maybe try disconnecting them. Anyway, sorry that it is not working reliably for you. Each PC is so different.

Please explain what window focus is. After a life time 50 years working with computer software and electronics I have never heard the term. Now since starting this thread I’ve heard it twice. Please enlighten me.

I note Whitav8 you are using a previous version of oculus app yours is 27… mine is 28…
I wonder if my later oculus app is creating g issues. It hasn’t hindered any other vr program though. P3D V4, Google Earth. For example.

Window focus - I simply mean that the MSFS window (I run a smaller than full screen window in windowed mode) has a blue title bar (and not white) which states the version number - 1.14.6.0. Otherwise, any keyboard keys (Ctrl-TAB) are not directed to MSFS.

I noticed the PC Oculus app version as well and updated it to v28 - still works (my Quest2 is still v27 (check in q2 Settings->About) - there is a v28 coming this week! I have scoured this forum (both General and Hardware Performance ) and found several others that are having a VR activation problem. The most peculiar seemed to be the following:

but I thought that the solution(s) seemed harsh. I hope yours is easier. When you try Virtual Desktop wireless, and start SteamVR - do you see the mountain and night sky background OK. Then you can open SteamVR (1.17.5) settings and on the Developer tab, check to see that you have set SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime - if not, there is a button there to press to make it so. Then after starting a flight in MSFS and checking that you can fly it OK in 2D, and then your MSFS window is highlighted, hit CTRL-TAB but make sure via MSFS Control options for the keyboard, that is still the activation key. Many folks assign that to a button on their HOTAS.

When you get it working, be sure to get the E135 helicopter (freeware) - just a lot of fun with simple modes to fly it as well if you aren’t familiar with a heli.

1 Like

And so wehave a solution. Re install the ocus app on the PC. Dont ask me how or why but it worked. If you have this issue try it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.