VR Tips Worth Knowing…add them here

https://fskneeboard.com/

this will work great with your tablet

2 Likes

How does a pen tablet map to its scratchpad? I don’t see any mention of a tablet on the website. In MSFS VR mouse seems to be relative to head position and overall unpredictable. I don’t think it can be useful with a tablet, unless there is a physical app or a desktop that tablet can be mapped onto. If it works for you, please describe how it does.

When controllers are supported, this would work for scribbling down with a controller, but ergonomically it’s such a disaster that I couldn’t write down anything at all that way with reasonable speed.

Also, my solution is free, and has the advantage of making notes directly on the charts, and taking any number of Windows apps into the sim, not just a single PDF or a scratchpad. But I’m open to other solutions, if they can be used with a tablet easily.

Navigraph already has a utility that brings in any chart, moving map, etc. to VR, and it works no matter what you’re flying. Just open the top of the screen “menu”, click on the Navigraph button, and set it up b4 you turn VR on (it’s easier just to scan the code with a phone than to go to the site and type in the text code they give you) and boom… Instant charts for anything your heart may want. The only downside, which I dang sure home somebody is working on is that you have to set it up for every single flight, it’s not sticky.

When it comes to clearances from pilot2ATC, I just put it on my primary 2d monitor and “cheat” taking a peek at clearances I can’t commit to memory fast enough. Half the time I can’t understand what the heck they’re saying anyway, so even if I had an in-VR notepad, it wouldn’t help. Frequently, it’s “Expect WHAT STAR???” when they say it to me.

Well, I can’t justify a chart subscription, I don’t fly that often. There’s enough free charts available, including ChartFox etc. that a subscription is not really a must have. And it’s a bit silly to only have a subscription because of the VR tool they have. There are other VR PDF tools, including free once (like ebag). The problem with these is no scratchpad, and even with paid ones have a scratchpad that can’t be effectively used with a tablet. Unless I’m not aware of a tool that does it all.

This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid. After all, I could also take notes on paper and take a peek on that - some people do that in VR. It’s very annoying and a total immersion killer. The way I do it now, I have the whole Pilot2ATC app in the same window. If I need to take a peek at whatever STAR the windows TTS butchered, I do that right there, where my charts are. But I see Pilot2ATC as mainly a practicing app before I use Vatsim. English as a secondary language makes it even more difficult, and writing down ATC instructions is essential even without that problem. There’s no time to take your HMD off when ATC is speaking to you and you need to read back what they’re saying. I had a few Vatsim flights on X-Plane and it was challenging… But exciting.

The new NVidia driver with special upscaling (NIS) works fine in 2D (seems to help me), but does nothing for VR since it only affects the primary monitor.

Oh well.

I was so excited about NIS news for a few minutes, and then bunner, no VR…

To get back on topic “VR Tips…”: Having the MSFS window in or out of focus (or not visible at all) may have a significant impact on VR minimum FPS with the G2+WMR, as me and others were able to show here:

Hope this will be helpful!

So, for this I’d have to run in window mode, and minimize the sim? Interesting.

But then the mouse can’t be used to click in the cockpit?

You don’t have to run it in windowed mode. Just open Task Manager, select the “Processes” tab, expand the MSFS process to see all sub processes, right-click on the main process and select “Minimize”.

Unfortunately - yes. I did not find any workaround yet. I’ve also tried separating MSFS and other windows to two different virtual desktops using WIN-TAB, but that did not improve performance as minimizing MSFS did.

To make the Toolbar in VR work post Game of the Year edition:

In cockpit in VR
CTRL-0 (select fixed view 0, usually default-forward)
TAB to get toolbar
Now you can select and move windows / interact
Do not reset VR view, stay in view 0.

1 Like

Tip #2:
Bring your desktop to VR cockpit from the cliff house by using the Follow Me function. To make the desktop smaller in VR set the smaller resolution.

Tip #3:
Assign a button on the yoke (e.g. via FSUIPC) to bring sim window to focus - you will be able to operate the buttons in the cockpit with the mouse. Assign another button to minimise the sim window, your mouse will be free to operate the apps on your virtual desktop

Hello all,

I’m struggling with Tip #3 above. I can get the desktop windows into the sim (WMR), but sound and mouse are only active on this new window, not on the sim anymore, and I can’t switch between both windows.

I’m quite used to FSUIPC to set my controllers, but I don’t know what to assign to get MSFS in focus, or to minimize it.
Can you please help me with that ?

Thanks a lot !

I bring the entire desktop and only one desktop to the VR, sim is just one of the apps running on this desktop. I assign standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to the buttons via FSUIPC to de-minimize (bring to focus, mouse works in the sim) and minimize sim window (sim window with dual image no longer obscuring the other app windows on the desktop).
I use Reverb G2.

Thank you for your reply.
I just don’t know the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to de-minimize and minimize a window… Or how you create those shortcuts ?

I use a G2 too.

Thank you again for your help.

I just mapped “Win+Y” to my Wacom pen button, and it does switch focus from/to the Desktop window and back to MSFS.

So, if I understand it correctly, you fly with the MSFS windows in the imported window (double view) when the mouse is active in the sim, then you switch to the desktop window, switch to the web browser, then switch back to MSFS double view, and back to the sim itself ?

You can’t have the web browser visible in the desktop window with the mouse cursor active in the sim at the same time, right ?

If we’re talking about “follow me” Desktop window (containing my second monitor in my case) then it’s always visible in the sim. I just press the “Win+Y” macro on my Wacom pen when I need to interact with it, and press it again if I need to interact with the sim. Actually, because I have a lot of DIY hardware, I don’t often switch back at all. And I think VR controllers will keep working anyway.

BTW I suggest you all vote here: this is how VR SHOULD be like. And there’s nothing preventing it from working that way, if Asobo wants to do it.

Thanks for your reply.
I don’t know why, but the mouse cursor is active in the sim only if the sim window is the one active in the “follow me” window.
If the web browser is the active window in the “follow me” window, “Win+Y” doesn’t bring the mouse back in the sim.