[Walkthrough] Avoiding CTD´s - Community Troubleshooting Guide

Tundra…
Do you have only a C: drive (one physical drive)?
And D: is virtual or volume split of C:?

When you installed MSFS, where did you install it?

@TundraFan853 Have a look at this:

c is a ssd,d is a hybrid…
msfs is on D in a Folder,
i dislike that fs create a drive on c and close ist when fs is not runHarddisk
as you see fs not run this volume 3 is not there,
this other volume is also createt by MS after a update…

That’s actually a good thread.
I’ve noticed when Rolling Cache is ON, I get more of those XvD “drives” (Microsoft Gaming Filesystem Driver) in Device Manager.

I’ve been using MSFS with Rolling Cache OFF (and it has only 1 XvD drive listed). With rolling cache ON, I get CTD’s (occasionally). With it OFF, I do not have any CTD’s.

I was actually concerned about deleting those extra XvD listed. So what I did, when MSFS was released, was bought another SSD, put Windows 10 on it and MSFS only. I now have 2 boot drives. One for MSFS (the BIOS & OS optimized just for it) and then my “normal” boot drive for Windows 10.

1 Like

Try this:
Manually check the MS Store for any updates. (gaming services came out with an update a few days ago)
If you have any mods in the Community folder, move them out.
If you are able to access the main menu in MSFS, go to the DATA section and delete all cache (rolling, manually added, etc.)
Turn OFF rolling cache (save and apply)
Exit from MSFS, restart the PC then relaunch MSFS.
Cross fingers. :wink:

it is all up to date,only W10 is on 19.09…stop updates at moment.
Fs,at moment i have switch off ai and MP,rolling cache is off and delite,the sim work so far,but no online fun,hope the next updat fix some and do not create new Errors! :+1:t2:

OK. I have done the same with 1909 where I temporarily stopped the upgrade. However, I did test 2004 on my laptop with MSFS, so far no issues.

But hold off on the 2004 until next KB comes out. This next KB fixes some issues with 2004 (we hope) but it looks promising (I’m also a Windows 10 Insider).

On my MSFS, I never use Multiplayer or AI Traffic. I do have ON Live Traffic (with no issues). Even though Rolling Cache is OFF, you still get terrain being pulled in. It’s not staying there when you exit. This is OK.

I also have lowered the amount of ground vehicles (20% setting), which helps with some stuttering.

1 Like

i need MP for our Groupflying,vehicles i have on 6%.
i use litle navmap…
they have to fix it,it is not right that you can not use all this features…

1 Like

Well, thanks EpicPrimus, AmbitiousPilots and all others who are contributing to this Community Guide! I’m glad there is such support in the community, I think it would be unbearable to have to suffer in this way on one’s own.

Might I suggest the following for consideration? This is only for those who have low spec graphics cards, and so probably needs to go in a separate section somewhere or even in another thread. My graphics card is a GTX980 Ti 6GB which I thought was OK and above recommended spec for MSFS 2020, but I needed to do extra work to get it going. The rest of my spec is ASRock X570 Steel Legend motherboard with Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz processor, 32GB DDR4 RAM.

Obviously the editors of this page will wish to amend the proposed wording below to suit.

FOR THOSE WITH LOW-SPEC GRAPHICS CARDS eg. GTX980 Ti
Unfortunately MSFS 2020 does not degrade its output to suit the low specs of your graphics card. Instead, it crashes to a blank screen requiring a hardware reset each time.
As a temporary solution until the programmers sort out this issue you will need to make some adjustments to the settings within MSFS itself.
Unfortunately you may find you can’t actually reach those settings, because MSFS 2020 crashes after going through the “press any key to start” start-up sequence, so you never actually reach the main menu.
The solution to this initial problem is temporarily to reduce the max frame rate of your graphics card before starting MSFS 2020. This is called “setting an external frame rate limiter”. You can do this wIth an Invidia card like the GTX980 by starting Invidia Control Panel, then in Manage 3D settings, set the max frame rate to its lowest available value.
Once you have done this you will probably find that MSFS will go the main menu. From there you can get into “options”, “general” to make the necessary adjustments.
If the above doesn’t work to get you to the main menu, try reducing the display resolution before starting MSFS, through Windows display settings (or Nvidia control panel display settings).
If you are using two monitors you will need to return the external frame rate limiter back to “off” after making the adjustments. This is because once MSFS starts to use the second monitor the external frame rate is shared between the two monitors. You don’t want this because the second monitor will not be displaying detailed graphics material.
You can substitute the external frame rate limiter with MSFS’s own frame rate limiter in “options”, “general”, by making sure VSync is on and limiting the frame rate just below. You may find 30fps is acceptable.
You can also apply the other tweaks suggested in the Community Guide, and also reduce the global rendering quality to reduce the amount of work your card is expected to do.
If you are still getting crashes on innocuous events, and suspect the cause is the low spec of your graphics card, then unfortunately the only solution will be to reduce the resolution of the displayed picture. Avoid having different resolutions in Windows/Nvidia control panel and MSFS - they should be the same to keep the result as sharp as possible.
For example with two 1920 x 1080 monitors, you may need to reduce them both to 1600 x 900 or even regrettably to 1280 x 720. At that resolution however, you may wonder whether its worth bothering at all, until you can afford a better graphics card.

1 Like

Gonna add your points asap!

Thank you!

Anyone is having CTD at the loading screen? It crahes to desktop using NVIDIA graphic card but it is working well with integrated Intel card.

I tried some steps of the troubleshooting guide mentioned but it still crashes. So I created the following discussion in order to address this specific CTD. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated!

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/crash-to-desktop-at-loading-screen-crashes-with-nvidia-and-runs-with-intel-onboard-card/297997

1 Like

FlightSimulator.exe
5f7c8cf2
FlightSimulator.exe
5f7c8cf2
c0000005
0000000000e28935
193c
01d6a18636bdb33c
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
9dbddf2c-f13a-4ba5-9b6c-da3b0a81fa96
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

same as before Update,CTD… :-1:t2: :-1:t2:

I fixed my c0000005 errors by setting the cockpit refresh rate from HIGH to MEDIUM. Haven’t had a CTD since.

Odd. After doing most of these above I found that if I fly near KPDX, or start from there, I get an immediate CTD. I did have FlightBeam KPDX payware installed. I uninstalled it and still happened. Deleted/uninstalled all mods, liveries, scenery etc, turned off all AI or player traffic, turned down settings to LOW. Still, crash at KPDX. Even contacted Flightbeam and Asobo. Nothing.
I have since installed everything back in place and everwhere else is smooth except for another airport but I just avoid that as well.
I am thinking it could be from a scenery conflict or something not updated correctly after the latest hotfix.

1 Like

You can try to clear your Rolling Cache file in the Data settings of MSFS. Sometimes, this will get corrupt; esp at airports you visit often. I usually leave Rolling Cache off so that it always pulls in current data.

1 Like

Ok. I am going to try this. I had it set for like 800gb then after the update it only said it was 8gb in the settings. Maybe this is causing all of the problems? I flew from PAJN to KSEA and as I approached Washington State the sim crashed.

1 Like

Just deleted it and I still crash near KPDX or if I try to load the sim there. With or without Flightbeam installed.

1 Like

Do you have scenery or airports in the Community folder? If so, move them out and see if it still does it.

Airports or scenery in the community will override the MSFS default tiles even if that airport or scenery is for a different area.

When I get home tonight, I’ll try PDX (I’ve never been there in the sim). What graphic settings are you using? Like HIGH-END, ULTRA, etc and have you adjusted any sliders?

NOTE: I don’t use any mods.

I appreciate the time taken to put together this guide and I hope it works for some people. Absolutely nothing has worked for me and I have a high-end system. I’ve got a 1,000W power supply coming in on Thursday out of desperation. Maybe my graphics card isn’t getting enough power? I have no idea.

1 Like

What are your system specs? What’s the brand and efficiency standard of your new PSU? The newer gen RTX require quite some power. With a gold standard 1000W PSU you should be fine.