Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

Not even true but you have to remember that throughout MSFS development only the 2xxx series was available. Such is hardware today that any major upgrade in technology causes sometimes huge vacuums in driver support and game integration with multiple teams of engineers from different companies having to collaborate on fixes. No matter what it is there’s nothing works straight out of the box for everybody.

We can only hope that they will soon find a solution.

1 Like

I uninstalled afterburner - it’s not without it’s problems, including inaccurate reporting of fan speeds. Try it - you can always re-install it later.

the 100% load in menu might be correct depend on resolution, or also whether you limit the fps in usefull way. As mentioned high load was fixed with the low power mode setting ( no useless background hanger rendering ). But in generally yes, as often mentioned can such tools also cause issues ( e.g. there is a known issue with an older version of afterburner ).

There are also issues with Armory Crate, etc. Within 5 seconds of starting, CPU temps (monitored by other software, so I know what the temps were before) jump by 30%, and CPU usage, which was low, goes to 100% on all cores. It’s pretty buggy, a resource hog, and often fails to update components.

I don’t care about “lighting effects”, so I see no real reason to use it. The whole “LED bling everywhere” has gotten out of control. If you’re busy looking at your system unit, you’re not flying, or doing work. And there ae people who have had to grind off the LEDs on their fancy ram just to get it to fit under the CPU cooler overhang.

It’s handy having LEDs on critical components to indicate they’re functioning - the 4 boot status LEDs on the motherboard are an example. I didn’t plug the LED controllers on my Arcs into the motherboard, but if the LEDs are lit, the device is properly powered, which is all I need to know. For storage activity, we have the LED on the system unit. For Flight controllers, we have the power-on LED indicator on the yoke, pedals, and flight quadrant. Those are actually useful. But blinkenlights just for indicating “mood”? Guess this is the new “lava lamp.”

1 Like

Basic troubleshooting such as not overclocking the gpu to sustain the sim’s stability, & to reset the sim’s settings by deleting the cloud save files, or reseting them by another way, to solve any possible conflict, is just a basic workarounds.

the real cause to this GPU CTD is a problem in the translation of virtual gpu addresses, but knowing what is triggering that in the sim for some users, & sometimes in a random way, is a programmer job, which is the sims devs.

3 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

YES

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Reinstalled operating system, reinstalled game, not overclocked, tried underclocking, tried overclocking, lowest graphics settings. No community content. GPU max temp =~60 C.
Crashes since arround november 2022, either when flying or when left on main menu.
Ryzen 1700
GTX 1070
16gb RAM
2560x1080 @ 75hz single monitor
Windows 10

Are you using DX12?

NO

Are you using DLSS?

NO

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

That may be it, it all started when they included the XBOX and probably something was done to adapt MSFS to the XBOX with that compromised the PC.

1 Like

Yes the old code was updated to something that eventually will prove to be far far superior … until then just live with it because xbox isn’t going away.

Did some researching on the web about gpu virtual addresses, according to this research paper, Running a multi-gpu usage applications can affect the translation of virtual addresses for the gpu. this can explain why some get the error by switching immediately to windows desktop & other tasks.

as far as it suggests, it have a good news & bad news, the good, that you can try to limit the sim’s crashing, by launching it after a system restart, & by not multitasking in the system until finishing the simming.

the bad news, is that this is a virtual memory
mechanisms employed in modern GPUs.

The research file for whom is interested:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjV952Flcf9AhWLGewKHXF-B0E4ChAWegQILhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fghose.web.illinois.edu%2Fpapers%2F18asplos_mask.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0zRlMxmTC8dg3JRHR_Hos1

2 Likes

Good find when you realise that ‘multitasking’ also includes the use of complimentary apps, controllers etc. That could explain why with my simple set up I don’t suffer these CTD’s unless I invoke them with overclocks etc. And I never normally have anything that isn’t part of Windows running in the background. Certainly not Chrome even if Edge’s core tech is virtually identical.

1 Like

I don’t really think this is related as every time I got this bug I wasn’t doing anything else nor switching to any other application. It crashes while running without any logical trigger.

Since the dmp files in the sim indicates that the CTD is a result of a problem in the translation process for the gpu virtual addresses, this is what i could find on the web about this.

Maybe it is one of the things that can cause the problem but not the only one?

1 Like

Thats a sure thing.

1 Like

It’s a PC and you want to talk of logical? :joy:
But honestly reading this even such mundane stuff like peripherals could have an impact even if ostensibly they have nothing to do with graphics

Based on this another research paper, this issue appears untroubleshootable on the user’s end, & is a programming issue on modern hardware designs.

link for the full file:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj5jLKVtsf9AhVataQKHdoJALo4HhAWegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.yale.edu%2Fhomes%2Fabhishek%2Fbpichai-asplos14.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2NRbjwsVLCI490QSeMA-Ej

I wouldn’t say this is an “issue on modern harware designs” because it only happens in MSFS, it is a bug, we might try anything we can to mitigate it or reduce whatever it triggers the bug but in the end it has to be investigated and fixed by the devs.

2 Likes

100% Agree.

for whom likes to try different workarounds for the issue, this may help: renewing the dll file : GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64

link:

gfsdk_aftermath_lib.x64.dll free download | DLL‑files.com (dll-files.com)

file location to replace for whom is able to access the sim’s files (steam users):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

but I have often other applications opended in parallel. Usually the browser, which known use also gpu hardware, but also other applications… Of course we often recommended to test without other applications running in parallel, just to find out possible problematic ones, but I would assume much more users which report issues if that would be a general issue.

1 Like