Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

may be it will help to not let render 4K with a Full-HD resolution only. We can see that your gpu is in horrible stress.

2 Likes

Just experienced this for the very first time today - totally random, out of the blue! Seems like this doesn’t have a fix, hopefully it was a once-off for me

I’ll just throw this in 
 If previously you were already on your limits then any increase in performance the latest driver brings will put extra pressure on your whole system. It’s inevitable than some will have problems even with factory overclocks. Try setting debug mode in NVCP, this should run your gpu at stock speeds and for many of you this error will disappear.

1 Like

Now THAT is quite low-down and dirty! My new PC only has the one GPU, so at least that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about in the future!

Thanks for the heads-up for everyone, though.

Great analysis and catch!
I tried to look more closely at that screen shot, too, but my tired ol’ eyes missed it.
:+1:

1 Like

Hello guys! I think I have solved this problem (at least for me it worked).
I have just changed the anti-aliasing setting to “TAA” and then turned on “AMD FIDELITYFSX SHARPENING-100”
I also watched this video: How to Fix MSFS 2020 Crashing or Freezing NOW! Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 from this guy [GamerCory]

My pc spects: AMD RX6600 I511 16GBram SSD1TB

1 Like

With which settings you had the issue ? that’s may be interesting for the users :slight_smile:

Just had the same error on SU11 beta was never an issue for me su10, Posted feedback here because its not a new bug. GC RTX 3070 using dx12 dlss

I just switched to DX12 (beta) and managed a full flight from Detroit to Toronto in the King Air 350. Yesterday I tried the same but with DX11, and the game did crash (which makes no sense).

Next time I’ll try the 737-6 form PMDG to see if that pushes my system harder while using DX12.

Note - this is with all add-ons disabled.

your post concluded this thread, liked it, LOL.

Hey Guys ! So i switched to DX12 and it did not crash! (Thats one fix)
The better fix would be to roll back your NVIDIA drivers and switch back to DX11! That worked for me too

1 Like

Maybe if Asobo would implement detailed crash logs and debug dumps for issues like this instead of relying on Windows Events, it would be easier to track down

1 Like

Since there is no permanent fix for this problem right now I found a way that I can run the sim crash-free, usually for several hours, so I thought I would share it here in the hopes that it works for some others looking for some kind of workaround.

All I do is reinstall the NVidia driver before running MSFS.

I have the driver install file on my desktop, I turn on my PC and run the driver install, then start MSFS, and it works every time, usually for several hours without a crash - usually.

Some caveats:

1. I just do the express install, and install the driver ONLY! Do not reinstall GeForce Experience or it won’t work. It’s ok if GeForce Experience is already installed, just don’t install it again. For some reason that causes it to continue crashing. You do NOT have to uninstall first! The reinstall will take care of that.

2. I like to have the ATC popup window on another monitor. That will cause crashes while approaching the airport, so you must not pop out the window.

3. If you open anything else (browser, msi Afterburner, etc) it will probably cause a crash.

4. If the sim crashes or you shut it down and restart it, you must reinstall the driver again. It DEFINITELY will crash just as before. The sim seems to change something in the driver each time it runs.

5. Settings don’t seem to have much of an effect as far as preventing crashes. This is the only thing that works consistently for me, and I have tried everything in this thread. My settings are below, in case it does make a difference.

6. I have a pretty beefy machine, and hardware probably plays some part in success or failure. This PC is only a few weeks old with only a few games installed. All fresh installs, no addons, no overclocking, everything up to date.

7. I will still get occasional crashes, but if this works for you as it does me, they will be much more rare.

8. I have the standard version of MSFS and only fly the C-152 (I wish I had known that it does not include the steam gauge C-172, or I would have paid for the deluxe version and I’m not paying the rediculous upgrade price for a single plane, but that’s for another time). I have no idea if that makes a difference or not. Airports don’t seem to make any difference.

Some of my sim settings are as follows:
Display: Full screen, 1920x1080
Anti-aliasing: TAA. This setting seems to work for me on either TAA or DLSS
DirectX: DX11. DX12 also seems to work fine
Terrain level of detail: 330
Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Lens Correction and Lens Flare all off
Worker Density 60
Everything else is set at Max or Ultra

Windows settings as follows. These don’t seem to have any effect on crashes, but I have to experiment more to be sure:
HAGS off
Game Mode on

System Hardware:
Corsair RMX Series 1000 Watt power supply
ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4
64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 RAM
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming Video Card
Intel Core i9-12900KF Processor
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19044 Build 10944

I hope this helps some people to be able to do some flying until a real fix comes along. I know how painful withdrawal can be.

1 Like

I can pretty much guarantee that a ‘proper’ fix will include a reduction in gpu performance so maybe not trying to squeeze every last fps out of it is the answer. Increasing LOD and traffic may actually help.

That can be true if the error was due to a lack in hardware capabilities, which is not true in this situation.

& technically, this would not be considered a way to fixing things, because this means the sim has to be limited instead of being leveling up.

1 Like

Why not? because that’s exactly the way that sandboxed games work, they establish their limits and then apply them across the board.

agree. but not when you are talking about MS product, not an indie software or limited developing one.
this sim cant be compared to another.

It’s a continuously moving target and until Microsoft say ‘finished’ will always be so. There will be ups and downs, there always is.

1 Like

there will be never a finishing line in tech. LOL

1 Like

100% true.