Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

As I see it they (being Nvidia) have given us more performance (see link) but for some it’s the straw that broke the camel’s back. 522.25 was the worst and later drivers seem a little better however for those that still suffer it’s only advisable to reduce load on the gpu. Assuming all other advice has been followed re overclocks etc. there are still a couple of ways to do this; frame caps being the most obvious but also in general options/ experimental there’s a low power mode that should at least stop the fps running away in the menus. You might also try increasing LOD or traffic to put more onus on the cpu but don’t overdo it or you are likely to stutter. Another problem is the “prefer high power” setting in NVCP, switch it to normal.

PS I’m sure it’s not just for 3xxx cards

1 Like

I run a 5800x3d and 3090 capped to 30fps, on medium - high settings at 4k. It’s definitely not RAM/gpu stress. There is more to it as some get it in the menu’s or loading

The mystery and wait goes on…

It surprises me you get this message … the only thing I can think of is your vram is overclocked … and that includes by card manufacturers who obviously never benched with MSFS in mind.

1 Like

“My game is broken. Fix it, please.”
Oooh, the challenge of working in IT!

I only wish that there were a way to fix THIS one, by just turning it off and then back on again. :smiley:

1 Like

I think my Bijan Seasons issue was solved with the Anniversary Update.

Running low end graphics here (Envy/MX-330)

After SU-10 I ran into issues with Seasons… during startup there was a CTD. The only solution seemed to de-install all Bijan Seasons addins in safe mode and restart MSFS. But now, I reinstalled Bijan Fall (N) in CM and it works again… The Madeira view below was directly after install in CM… the Texas view was after a restart of MSFS.

I know I have been a victim to this crash at least once since SU11. The one I had last night was a total BSOD. Running medium settings on GTX1070 7700K. No overclocking and GPU temp stays at 55 -60C

3rd time it happens… 3 minutes before touchdown after at least 1 hour airbone, and boom… CTD. A waste o’ time, I’m afraid. And this game’s so much beautiful to quit trying if this time, things will go different, that it seems to be a forbbiden pleasure… What a pity… Hope it becomes the first thing on the list to be solved. C’mon Asobo, help us! Thank you in advance.

So thought I’d give it another go this morning and got the issue while the game was loading, didn’t even get close to the main menu…This needs sorting and quickly.
This has nothing to do with resources (RAM,CPU,GPU), as there have been no issues until recently and no hardware changed. There is a fundamental bug either with the drivers or the simulator.

A bug or a “feature”?
:wink:

After reading the 1700+ comments in this thread, this obviously is causing much frustration for many simmers.

You know, I think if I ever experienced this on my system, I would begin by stripping out all the glitz and glamour from my install.

I would uninstall all the world updates, the bush trips, the adventure trips, aircraft liveries, 3rd party add-ons, etc. etc. until I was down to just the base no-frills installation. (I did this once a few SUs ago and I believe my MSFS footprint shrank to about 75GB. It also booted up considerably faster - duh!)

I then would set all the graphics settings to low, and conduct test flights with standard (no VR if you use it) 1080p resolution. If, and that’s a mighty big “if”, there are no issues, then I’d start adding back the bells and whistles - beginning with VR, one by one to see what feature might be introducing this issue.

Admittedly, this is a very slow and plodding technique that requires much patience and resolve.

However, assuming this narrows down the focus area somewhat, I think I could then go back to the developers with some possibly useful trouble-shooting data.

That’s just what I would try…

My new re-install currently has no add-ons installed, it’s as basic as you can get it, no world updates etc, just the bare bones minimum. So if the issue is with the software then they need to look at the core install.

What gpu driver are you running?
And what frequencies for gpu and vram clocks?

I’ve had the issue for the last 3 Driver updates
I don’t mess about with CPU or GPU clock speeds, they are all set as factory default.
Nothing overclocked, had no issues since it was released until now, nothing wrong my system and we certainly shouldn’t have to start messing around with clock speeds and frequencies to get a game working

Yes but what is your gpu’s factory default? MSFS2020 didn’t exist when many ‘Extreme’ and OC cards were produced. Lower down this page is a list for the different GTX1060Ti’s. Non standard freqs are highlighted by not being greyed out. Also age matters, weaknesses slowly creep in over time.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

Which ties in exactly with this

To me this pretty much says you need to reduce the extra load on your gpu.

Absolutely not the case, I was running on 1060 in the beginning with no issues, been running with a 3060 for a year with no issues, this has nothing do with clock speeds or ‘Old’ hardware.

Read my edit.
PS I also have a 3060, mostly undoing my overclocks cured this problem for me but I have also had to undo prefer max power in NVCP and turn off HAGs since these Nvidia updates. I’m not complaining as my performance is no worse than before.

the problem was gone when i changed drivers for 512.96. It was ok for more than a week. And now today it’s back! I don’t have changed anything on my sim. The problem just back from nowhere again… Occured after takeoff.

more than a frustration now… And Asobo clearly don’t care about this, again… Not my job finding out bugs. I give up.

Good luck to you guys.

If you look at all the other people experiencing this it’s all over the place, different cards, CPUs etc etc. HAGS is off as it’s a waste of time and more often than not decreases performance. I haven’t tried changing the power preferences, I’ll try that and update with results, however I think there’s more chance of getting beer served in the football stands of the World Cup😜

2 Likes

Yes but I still put much of that down to the bump in Nvidia performance and the fact that MSFS is perhaps the only ‘game’ without set performance caps. Because it’s still evolving we should be glad of that but obviously not if we can’t tune out the problem. Unfortunately I fear another hotfix drastically reducing performance just like we had after SU5.

I note this morning - after some Internet issues - that the buildings are all basic block type buildings.

If I crank everything up to Ultra, it is still basic scenery… I’ll try it again, but at least I was able to fly with the basic stuff (once I am at like 30,000 feet, I don’t care too much about what the ground looks like anyway… but I will keep messing around with it.

I did note a few days ago, that they had been updating / working on / or something with the Orlando, FL area - and Walt Disney World specifically… high quality scenery, but it was changing back and forth, and again, as long as they are actively addressing stuff, I am happy… I’d be happier if it just worked, but working at all is a start for now - since I bought the program now.

So I didn’t have power set to high anyway, so both those theories are blown out the water. There are people suffering with much newer cards etc. I don’t think this will be fixed quickly, definitely a bug between Nvidia and Asobo.