Water has lost its sparkle

I find using DLSS makes the water terrible at low altitude with artifacts very noticeable.

2 Likes

Even if DLSS is about quality, it comes to unsightly representations at low altitudes
Easy to see when approaching at sunrise on LEPA 06L or 06R, especially in the exterior view.

1 Like

I’ve voted. It used to look like this:

Imgur

This screenshot is from Sept 13th, which was the day beta .21 was released.

This is how it is now:

4 Likes

I’ve been noticing some horrible tile issues with the water the last couple days. :frowning: (on XSX, no scenery or any third party stuff other than a couple aircraft) I didn’t think it could get worse than the big black lines in the water, but boy was a wrong. It doesn’t appear in all areas, but I’ve seen it in a few, and have never seen this happen before SU10. This specific location I’ve flown many times and haven’t had this happen.

1 Like

this is completely silly the lighting, altitude and weather are different between those pics and all of those change how water is seen as you get higher water does look flatter the more oblique the angle the more sparkles you will see as light bounces off the ripples and the stronger the wind the more it will ripple and undulate producing sparkles as a bigger surface for the light to reflect

4 Likes

Also, DLSS makes approns lights looks like photographic flash from distance.

You need the Game Ready Driver, we are still waiting for it’s release.

I actually agree. Different situations.

1 Like

I still have water as in your first screenshot. You just need to fly lower and where there is some wind. As someone said before, you can’t compare a high altitude screenshot with a low altitude one and expect the water to look the same.
Fly out of Cayman Islands now, you will see some nice water, lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I realised that. Silly of me. In certain lighting conditions the water looks great. Has it lost it sparkle? I don’t think it has.

1 Like

Look at the videos in the initial post. The first video is what it used to look like even with TAA enabled (look near the rocks), and the second video shows what we see now. It has been empirically proven that the effect was removed. No personal opinion necessary.

1 Like

There was nothing removed. That is the difference between having AA OFF or ON. It was always like that and is much better on the second video with AA ON.

1 Like

Simply not true! I always fly with TAA, nothing else (AA off looks terrible!) and I had the sparkle effect in SU9. Whether or not it looks better in your opinion is not the point. The point is that an effect is gone that used to be there, WITH TAA ON!

Here is a screenshot from SU9 with TAA ON:

And just to point it out, I marked the effects with arrows here, because I have to assume people don’t even know what exactly we are talking about half the time:

2 Likes

What about the first picture in my post. Does the water sparkle? I think it does.

EDIT: I guess it’s easy to get lost in the subtleties here. We’re talking about the sparkling effect, not “ordinary” water reflections, right?

I do see a clear difference in your videos though. The sparkle effect is indeed beautiful when it’s there. I’ll do some testing for myself later this evening and report back.

No it doesn’t. That’s just the regular reflections on the waves that are still there in SU10. The sparkle effect comes into play on clear day, when there is no clouds in front of the sun.

1 Like

sparkling is of course still present. I tried it and I can not remember such a overdone sparkling bling-bling like if I disable AA - this looks absolut unreal. The effect with TAA is for my eyes more real. But to be fair: I did some water landings, but not allways in conditions which cause sparkling.

with AA Off it looks like firework on water:

with TAA eg. you have to look more exact:

Short video AA-OFF vs TAA-ON (11s):

( 4K may takes some minutes )

PS: @Jigsaw407 we know what’s meant :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure you do, because the sparkles are completely absent in your TAA ON screenshot and the TAA ON segment of your video. That’s just the regular reflections. :wink:

ooh yes i see the difference now there are no red arrows in the top pic
glad we got that sorted out

then you see a different video than I :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, looking closely there is a tiny bit of that effect left. I guess it’s the same as with the Eye adaptation. Technically it’s still there, but it has been reduced so much that it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Next thing we’ll know the sim will look like this. Virtually black and white but there is a tiny bit of color left, so it isn’t really black and white. :rofl:

2 Likes