We will need to wait till 2022 for multiple monitor support?

Guys like Threenote dont have a clue of what us cockpit builders do. Or what MSFS should look like.

2 Likes

During the Q&A session today (25/11) Asobo said that that “they will work on multi monitors” as soon as possible, but many other task higher in the queue and it requires “a lot of work”. No commitements. They not corrected the statement on the feature list that it may be as long as 2022 :frowning:
So “2021-2022” is most probably not a typo but the sad reality. VR will come first. Demolish your physical cockpits and start desiging hybrid ones like this guy:

1 Like

So far as I can tell, we have google maps flying mode with yoke support.
Complete joke. I’ve spent more hours watching the update bar than “flying”
I am pretty sure the last three releases from MS had multi monitor pop out window support.

1 Like

In sim racing you are certainly navigating a three dimensional space as tracks have elevation and aren’t run on purely flat surfaces. The need for it arises in the ability to better view apexes before and during the turn as well as being able to monitor traffic to the left and right while focusing on what’s in front of you.

It’s no less essential, just different.

Unfortunately, that game (Forza) also doesn’t have proper multi monitor support.

This is false news, is not Ftech Engine … is Asobo in-house engine

I don’t believe that is true.

It is an article full of false information, poorly translated from the original .

Flight Simulator use Asobo Engine with the core of ESP

This is original interview / article

https://www.pressreader.com/france/la-tribune-france/20200917/281934545372753

So, over two years and they have done sh%@^& in regards to multi-monitor support. Maybe it is because the underlying engine is not Asobos’s own product? I really don’t care. At this stage, it is a decent game, but unusable to build a cockpit like it was with the FS version 20 years ago. An amazing miss, but with the false promises around their product, they made Millions and the complete package will soon be abandonware as they already cashed out and have almost zero opportunity to make more money out of it. We fell for their lies and will have to live with this version as an o.k. game.

No, they have made it clear in several Q&As that they have a team working on it. What they haven’t done is share any expectation of a ship date beyond 2022 (this was confirmed again just recently in the SDK Q&A) or any details of how it might work. I want to know both of those things as much as anyone else here, I think, but by now it should be clear that until they have a firm expectation in terms of which sim update this feature will ship in, they won’t say more.

None of which means that the eventual solution will give cockpit builders what we need. I’ve been clear that for me that means multiple viewports, individually-definable asymmetric view frustums, or to sum it up, what Prepar3d offers right now. Will we get that? My honest opinion is, probably not. But we may get something usable for some cockpit setups, and that would be a start.

If they had a team working on it for 2+ years, they easily would have something usable by now.
The total silence around any kind of progress and pushing out the date (initially 2021, then 2021-2022 and now that we are almost there it is after 2022…) is a typical behavior of a company that made all the money they wanted to get out of a project and now simply spreads lies around additional functionality to keep the few people who may still want to buy their product in the belief that there will still be progress “at a later point”.
Don’t get me wrong - it is a decent “game”, but not even close to the other flight sim platforms that are out in the market - and I did not spend that much money on a game, but expected a simulator platform, not a step back from a 20 years old FS…

The OP here:

Asobo specified during the development update published at 19th of November 2020, that multimonitor support will be introduced 2021-2022. I was never satisifed with this, but if they deliver before end of December 2022, this will be still in line with their original message. I can understand that from commercial standpoint, adressing the needs of relatively small group of cockpit builders and multi monitor fans, was deprioritized by them. My personal theory is that some leading guy responsible for the graphics engine just left Asobo (this would explain why they can’t fix the annoying horizon line visible across the mountains in some conditions - the remaining team may just not fully understand how the engine works), but I have no evidence for this.

Personally I gave up and switched to VR. Not perfect, but for me more immersive vs. even the multimonitor setup I used to have with FSX and X-Plane. I have now full sphere of view, 3D, I still have some H/W panels but much simpler and cheaper (not requiring so much maintenance) vs. the full cockpit required for the multimonitor setup. It’s more universal, allowing switching from the airliner to small GA plane which I fly in RW. I can admire the beautiful cockpits of add-on planes like Aerosoft CRJ, I like very much they way the shadows play inside the cockpit when doing some turns at the late evening in small Cessna. With full scale H/W cockpit all this would be gone, for even a simple technique of judging the base turn you would need to be surrounded by the displays, while in VR you just look in any direction you want.
My wife appreciates, I can set up and remove my simming gear (yoke, pedals, thottles/flaps/speedbrakes/landing gear, DIY knob/switch/button/panel, 2 Behringer X-Touch Mini panels, Novation LaunchPad Mini) in less than 5 minutes. There is no need for the panels to be 100% realistic, I can’t see them when wearing VR headset, this saves me the effort of polishing the panels apperance. I know this will never satisfy the real cockpit builders, but for less hard-core hobbyists, VR + some H/W panels (elimintaing the mouse) can be the way to go.

It doesn’t look, despite the promise, that the management team is interested in multiple monitor support.

I watched all the Q&A management discussions on this issue ever since the program is out. Did you notice that all they spend is a few seconds on this subject. “we are working on it.” It is very obvious there is no interest, no excitement being conveyed by the team. they act as though they are “forced” to do it.

Never a discussion, never an explanation, never a summery, never details, etc, etc,…

1 Like

Yeah, but generally there are no details of anything until they are ready to talk about it, which will mean it’s on the horizon for release. If that isn’t the Asobo way, it certainly is the Microsoft way, and Jorg will have no more leeway on this than any other product owner.

In terms of lack of excitement… the person we generally see on Q&As who is directly involved in this work is Martial, AIUI, and he is not the best communicator on the team. In tech, it’s common for multi-national teams to work in English, but I believe the Asobo team is primarily French and will communicate in French day to day, so not all the leads are as fluent in English as Sebastian, for example. Also, I think Europeans (like me) are not as demonstrative and effusive generally as our US cousins.

I also know software developers, because I am one. We love a hard technical challenge. I don’t imagine there’s a lack of enthusiasm on the team doing this work for solving what is a pretty hard problem - how to have multiple views going at one time without losing significant performance.

If it’s taking a long time, to me that suggests one of three possibilities:

1. It’s super-hard for reasons relating to how the rendering engine is designed
  2. It’s deeply tied in with the DX12 work, and that’s not going as quickly as expected
  3. They don’t have many people working on it and those people are doing other things as well

I strongly suspect it’s a combination of all three. In fact, I think 3 is the primary reason why there are so many long-standing problems apparently untouched since launch. I can tell you from personal experience that hiring software developers through the pandemic period has been much, much harder than it was before, and it was very difficult even then. Right now it’s nigh-on impossible. The skill set Asobo needs is much scarcer than some, which makes it harder still. So it’s not like they could double their team size to cope with all the work.

Now that said, I do very much get the impression that the fundamental vision for this project was of a person sitting at a desk with a single monitor, or on a couch with an Xbox and TV. This is not surprising for what is, after all, a PC game in origin. It’s how most PC games work. Asobo is a game company, so this is the environment they are used to designing for.

We can’t know what the conversations internally over the last 5 years of development have been like. We know some people involved in ACES and the classic MSFS series are involved in the project, and I can’t imagine that at some point during scoping of the feature set someone didn’t say ‘we should support multiple monitors and views just like FSX did’, but it doesn’t seem like that ever made it onto the feature list, because it seems like Asobo decided to work on it only when it became a high-ranking community feature request.

And also, as I understand it, most of the team, certainly the leads, have been doing real-world flight training. They set up a cockpit environment in their office. They can surely see the potential in this capability, and I’m sure there are those who strongly want it to happen and succeed.

So at this point, I think assuming they’ve given up on something that they’ve consistently said could take until 2022 and that they are working on, is premature. The worry that I have, as I’ve said before on this thread, is whether or not what they come up with will go far enough for all of us.

1 Like

Thank you, for you excellent reply.

Why o why?
I take so long before Asobe releases there multi monitor support solution.
It’s a must for flight simulations to have at least 3 monitor support whitout the stretched graphics in the left and right monitors.

It’s a little weird that this seems to be a complicated thing to do.
Just assuming, 2 devs work on that for 2 years equals approx. 300k of salary they would have invested in this.
For that amound, they probably could have just bought the knowledge from iRacing or rFactor2.
Both games are like a million years old and have mastered triple screens to perfection.
Why is Asobo reinventing the wheel here? :confused:

I think the intention was to make a XBox game.
Multi monitor support was not the priority.

its a minority playing with a setup like that, it will come, be patient.

The real flight simmers don’t play with one single display. So i don’t now why Asobo wait so long to implement multi monitor support. At this moment MSFS 2020 is a game and not a real flight simulation.

1 Like

Be aware that the “stretching” is apparent, only if you place your monitors at an angle. While the proper capability of the sim allowing placing the displays at an angle is definitely required, here is the workaround allowing proper perspective and wide forward field of view with 3 displays without the apparent stretching: