We will need to wait till 2022 for multiple monitor support?

I works fine with X-plane.

MSFS 2020 has no possibility to make a realistic field of view.
So we have to wait until Asobo implement that in MSFS 2020.

MFS2020 makes realistic FoV but forward only (like a panoramic screen in a cinema, with the spectator in the 1st row). This is not convenient for flying, especially VFR, where you need to look sideways a lot.
But with the monitors set in flat row and the “pilot” close enough (following the proper geometry of the perspective as explained in my post linked above) the view is 100% correct, with no apparent stretching. I recommend trying…
However the lack of the ability to set the displays sideways to allow looking left and right, is a pity. This is why I switched to VR (and I consider myself a “serious simmer”).

I don’t like VR because it is to stressfull for my eyes
I like to have the possibility to configure my displays in MSFS like i can do in xplane.

So either you will need to wait until Asobo adds it (hopefully in 2022) or you can try the approach suggested in my post on Avsim or you will need to accept “stretched” image on the edges or just one display.

That is not working for me.
I have a center display with res. 2560x1080 and a left and right display with res. 1920x1080. In xplane i can configure this 3 displays without streched scenery.

To not have “stretched” scenery, you should:

• manage nVidia surround (assuming you have nVidia GPU) to create extended display of (1920+2560+1920) = 6400 by 1080 res. (there are some guides available how to do it, even for displays with different resolutions) - it will work well if the vertical physical dimensions of your centre and side displays are close to each other (as your displays have the same vertical resolution of 1080)

• place all 3 displays in one flat row, not angled, in front of you (you can angle them a tiny bit, the side displays towards you, up to 10 degrees should still work without the apparent “stretching”),

• sit close enough to the displays (ca. 60-80 cm, this value depends on your setup actual geomentry and the zoom level - see my post on Avsim)

If you do this you will not see any “stretching” - the prespective resulting from your point of view will compensate the apparent “stretching” and you will have the perfect image geometry, but forward only. Still way better vs. single display, assuming your GPU will handle such resolution.

This is how it looks like when the perspective is correct - no “stretching”:

And this is how the displays should be arranged - very close to the eyepoint (for proper perspective and max field of view), in a flat row, maybe with a tiny bit of angling (by the way, the camera here was placed in completely wrong place, the perspective is ruined and the apparent “stretching” is massive - but you will never fly with you eyes located sideways to your display setup, like the camera was placed for this picture):

If you angle the side displays towards you too much - you will destroy the perspective necessary for the type of projection used by the sim and you will create the “stretching”. The same if you place the displays to far from the eyepoint (why anybody would do this - you want to have as much of your field of view filled with the displays, so you shoukld put them as close as possible).
Here is the same image as the first one - just observed on the monitor angled towards you, with ruined perspective and apparent “stretching”:

If you want to look left or right - consider using TrackIR. On the pictures above I’m actually “looking left” with TrackIR, you can do this with hat switch as well, but not as convenient. If you want 360 degree view freedom - consider VR with decent headset (e.g. Reverb G2).

Up to you to experiment with geometry a bit or just complain and wait another year for the proper solution by Asobo. I used this 3 display setup (+ TrackIR + 2 more touch displays for the instruments with AirManager and Knobster) until I discovered VR.

1 Like

Thanks. This is a very good and thorough explanation what works and what doesn’t, and what the different concepts of multi monitor support are. I’m using a similar setup like what you described and I agree it looks good enough that I would have tried thee monitors, but you explained why it only makes sense in a row and not at an angle. Thanks again!

Maybe im technical noobish, but my theorie might be slightly different and off course, but i could make sense i thought about it.

Small introduction about: the human eye and from what i believe is to be true.

Man is driven to survival and his body is build to react on danger, so the 5 sences he has work together but can be different for others, altough they have maybe more or maybe less than others.

Now from where i stand i see the real world measured from my feet up to my eyes my head can roll
From the center to the left or to the right and back or vice versa panning is done by look up or look down.
However this i can do with my eyes as well. And if they work together it gives me good perifere view
I do not know exact numbers, but i know i have pretty wide perifere view.
And if set on a spot your eye will catch movement where something is moving out of the blue, same thing if you hear something behind your pov at the moment your head will automatically turn into that direction from where this unknown sound and unseen danger came from always following the ear which located the sound and need eyes to confirm to the brain a visual report.
Same goes for the nose, smell is important cause if the smell is not right i want to know what is the smell affecting, does it harm, will it stay or go away.

Having this said and when sitting in your simulator you in the first place want to see yourself left from the center in the cp while msfs always put you right from the center, now why is that?
Is it because where not in command what view does it give?
Or is it a ÷ 3.95 or - 3.95 mistake where + means right and -means left.
Or is it just because of the curiosity of learning position without worrying to much cause Captn wears responsibillity.
Because he knows you’ll figure out translate view or make it permanent i .cfg files
And also figure out x y z positions but always with a plus or minus sign upfront (and a backup file before editing)

Your cockpit is nice and comfortable but imagine;
The windows in your car they are all around, but the doorstyles are situated at shoulder wide.
Now if you open up the front doors of the car and from the frontscreen look little left and right, they do nothing more from viewpoint perspective than opening up and cut off the bottom scenery of the windowview meaning the world does not change no matter how for you open the door and that is where xyz adjust comes in.
Above situation is the left and right doors represent the left and right monitor and extend the view
and this needs the possibillity of adaptation, so we are talking about multi view support where we individually can adapt view to our liking. But you also need the possibility set the degree in angle in left and right in depth(meaning push left or right off and otherwise pull in)

Now i am using a beamer and a home made screen and although i can see my own shadow( because the sealing is not high enough of my cave) which doesnot bother me, im in there and my shoulders are placed between screen endings, 2.5 meters wide and also curved (home made) also behind my dashboard and between the curved screen i made horizontal, another curve while flat with an angle.
This lift my airplanes nose in or runwaysight with meaning to create depth.

I have more possibility i can cut a window out of a postcard and glue it in front of the lens of my beamer and project this on screen

or with paintprogram, i create a jpeg of a cockpit without instrument but with working switches and knobs and use three or four screens and a second computer and some old freeware called freefd connected with fsuipc paywareversion for instrumentviews.

The thing is when moving the plane to left or right with monitors they always curl where edges touch
I noticed in sim 2004 and fsx though multimonitor support is already provided by videocard manufactorers, (because you can setup screens aligned and stretch image or video about them) i would say this is not what you want.

So as many say on the forums i would like to call it multiview support.

I think one full screen in the center and with track ir (im using also homemade) or Toby works fine in these settings and give great experience and immersion. The depth of the game is adequate to real life ( uninstall australia and go to fly Uluru than download australia again and fly again at Uluru and you see what i mean, and how it is implemented with the rolling layers this is how 3d works)
Top designed in the sim and correctly masked in the su8) creating that view when driving in the car looking outside the window and in the distance see the rolling patterns to the layers and how they differiate.

1 Like