Weather degradation

All I expected was something along the lines of “Improved METAR blending.”
Not even that… wow.
I haven’t flown the sim since March and it looks like I won’t be flying 'till MSFS2024… to see if the weather has improved even a bit.

9 Likes

I can say that thanks to MFS I will never go XBOX again ^^ as MFS was so important to me when it came out to prefer the xbox to the PS5…but yes, lesson learned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The 5 (?) guys from Working Title seem to deliver the majority of SU13 (probably an exaggeration).

According to PR at release 200 people were involved with the development of MSFS, latest PR campaign spat out the number of 500.

The avionics stuff is delivered from WT, World Updates are delivered from personnel at Bing and other affiliate companies with probably many employees , including Gaya and Orbx for the POI and airport stuff. The same goes for City updates, mostly third parties involved. Local legends - third parties.

Core Sim, including Live Weather?
I think we would be flabbergasted should we learn about the real number of developers at Asobo working on core sim features, and most of them are probably heavily invested in preparing MSFS2024 anyway.
So no real surprise.
And sadly it will most probably be not very different for Live Weather in MSFS2024: what they don’t get right from the beginning will be a tough process afterwards.

3 Likes

Truly disappointing that the devs continue to have no improvements to offer and nothing to say about weather at all.

14 Likes

Disappointed too despite of having topics logged as bug in the weather bug forum since months and years now. I imagine the frustration of all that have spent time reporting their evidences, comments, analysis that many things are going wrong with Live Weather, it is not encouraging to keep reporting those issues if we feel that there is no intention or plan to correct, improve live weather in fs2020, even in fs2024 from what we know so far.

5 Likes

How do you know they’re not focusing on all of those things. The existence of tornados is not mutually exclusive with any of these other features. I would argue that the entire weather system would need a dramatic improvement to support tornados. I see it as a positive sign.

There hasn’t been an update on live weather in many months. I actually can’t remember the last time any developer discussed the direction live weather is going or what specifically they are working on for it. The fact that it is also the number one voted item, and yet no information, is very interesting. All it says is (ongoing or bug logged) but it has said that for years. I don’t think we will see any improvements in 2020 at all. I believe it’s dead in the water, as far as live weather advancements are concerned. There is no way anyone on the developer side can sit there and look at live weather and say, yes nothing more to do here, it is excellent. No way. I just think their hands are tied with 2020 and 2024 will allow them to do what they can’t or haven’t done with 2020. It allows them to kick the can down the road in essence.

6 Likes

Weather were the thing that i were looking forward of improvments the most after MSFS 2020 were released. I think many agrees.

How many of you expected more improvments of weather since release of MSFS 2020? Visually i can only see it has got worse/degraded. For accuracy i can mention 4 things. Wind, temp, pressure and visibility in a circle around airports. Thats it. Please let me know if you can mention more.

I’m really dissapointed as well.

10 Likes

I do wonder why they don’t hire 3rd party developers to improve weather, like they do for scenery, planes and avionics…

13 Likes

I think it’s because their weather system is proprietary and they don’t want to open it up. Just a guess.

Here you see an absolute MSFS classic. Always LAX with this massive monstrosity sat right over the airport and nowhere else nearby. Now tell me that METAR hasn’t ruined the look of the weather.

10 Likes

That’s really thin on information. No timestamp, no METAR, no data as to where those cloud bases are in the sim, well, no corresponding data at all.

Basically, nothing to prove that it’s the METAR doing that.

There’s currently a marine fog layer at LAX and HHR. There is also a larger area of clouds approaching from the south. What’s misleading is LAX is off to the right center of the picture, not directly under bulk of the “monstrosity,” which is over downtown.

Here’s a current pic from a mountain behind where you snapped the screenshot, along nearly the same view line. Note the clouds to the south (left side) and the low fog layer toward the airport (right side):

That said, something is causing the accuracy of those clouds to be off, but randomly blaming METAR is simply not going to solve the problem because without data and proof, it’s meaningless and steers us down a meaningless path.

1 Like

You forgot that the discussions about METAR disrupting the weather as been logged as bug…and you cannot deny either that all of this started eight after su7 wgen METAR took over

3 Likes

Heh, what “bug” is that, exactly? We have no idea the direction the solution is going to take, but we sure do have a lot of noisy data and thin leads.

All we know is something changed, but because the weather doesn’t even match the METAR a lot of the time, the evidence that those are the specific problem is very thin.

Feels like weather is really low on their prioritylist anyway. Maybe in their own view the atmosphere is already perfect. Only tornadoes that’s missing :wink:

4 Likes

Please Remember Forever, The Upcoming Sim Must Beat This!

3 Likes

I suppose weather isn’t changing until 2024 at the very earliest based on their silence in regards to this feedback and the complete omission of weather fixes in Sim Update 13 (the category isn’t even listed).

3 Likes

Such a shame.

I just don’t see anything in these updates that they actually improve. Sure there are probably some aircraft improvements, but I don’t notice these as only use 3rd party aircraft.

I notice that they have fixed the white dot bug, but that was only something they messed up anyway and took months to fix. So for me, I just don’t notice anything different in these updates other than the bugs they bring and the horrible update process.

5 Likes

Atmospheric updates i’ve seen the least of since release 2020. But isn’t the atmosphere together with aircraft the most important things in flight simulators?

Well, world updates i’ve seen the most of even that those are objects on the ground where we’re not flying :confused: I know those things are good for VFR flying but not all the users use those objects on the ground as guidance. One thing i know for sure all the users use while flying is the atmosphere but that thing is the least priority it seems.

I know the atmosphere is the most complex thing to get right and also in my opinion should have got the most updates since release 2020.

8 Likes

I know it might be subjective but here’s a short video of some most convincing live weather I’ve experienced since quite a long time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7mfr8_zS8
In general, it feels the clouds have gotten more substance to them, and the rain showers actually appear in the areas where the RW radar reflectivity indicates precipitation, even if it’s far from any reporting airport and not present in the MB forecast. Interesting development.

3 Likes