Weather like pre su7 before 8 AM UK time, photos and videos provided!2

So is there a zulu time when this effect starts?

1 Like

Yes, between 07:03Z-07:04Z. Will check again tomorrow morning after my nightshift :slight_smile: I post my findings.

Will make my return flight now fron ENGM. Looks like this :frowning:

When forecast says like this, to me it were more accurate to forecasted data before 07:03Z today:

1 Like

That was UK early yesterday morning from Durham Tees Valley across the Pennines probably around 0630 :+1:

There was a point on my flight home all of a sudden I had solid cloud under me and had to switch to manual weather not sure what time exactly 7.30 8 ish roughly but was a quick change.

Yes, the most irritating thing is that instant switch. I don’t need that, It’s neither more accurate or more realistic after the switch. Meteoblue said mostly cloudy and METAR said CAVOK. Neither of those are 100% accurate. I know it were clouds ablove ENGM.

The sudden switch makes the weather 100% inaccurate. I know for 100% there is no sudden switch there.

I just wonder why did they need to change the meteoblue-weather in su7? Why not just implement that METAR thing only? It’s enought with METAR visibility switches that will occure 48 times per day multiplied with every single airport that reports METAR. Those Meteoblue switches add even more switches, i can’t see the need for that at all.

7 Likes

Are these clouds on Ultra? Mine do not look like that, even during the day.

3 Likes

which one? the one I posted are provided by Perry

Sorry, I just meant in general - are you using ULTRA for volumetric clouds?

I play on Xbox series X

If Meteoblue generates all the cloud data like like Asobo claims, then to fix this “problem”, Asobo would have to manually bias the clouds towards stratus clouds because there’s a general consensus that they’re more beautiful and “realistic” than cumulus clouds. Do I really need to explain why this is a bad road to go down? A proper test of the system would be determining what atmospheric conditions results in altostratus and straocumulus clouds in real life, finding similar conditions in the sim and seeing what kind of cloud types you get.

Also, I think it’s important to point out that the Meteoblue weather map is based on the most recent data from their model (IE: the past hour), while the data Asobo gets updates every 6 hours. The first hour includes METAR data blended in and the next 5 hours is based on their model. So it’s possible for the clouds to not match the current Meteoblue weather map yet still be working correctly because it matches the data that Asobo has. This makes it very difficult/almost impossible to reliably test the system beyond the first hour after a Meteoblue update. It would be very nice if Meteoblue had a special setting on their weather map to match the data MSFS has.

In terms of rough transitions: If the system works like Asobo says, there would necessarily be a rough METAR-style transition for the entire world every 6 hours. Between hours 1 and 6 they can smoothly blend the weather like an animation because they know the weather for each future hour, and the data itself is flowing and fluid from hour to hour. After hour 6, they don’t know what the weather data is going to be because they haven’t received it from Meteoblue yet, so they have to wait to receive it, and then do the same kind of transition they would do if it were METAR. So the weather during hour 6 would act differently than preceding hours because there is no future information to transition towards. It has to wait for the next Meteoblue update, which could have dramatically different data for the first hour than the last hour of the last 6 hour forecast because not only is METAR blended for the first hour, the forecast itself can change quite a bit during that 6 hour span.

4 Likes

The switchover seems to happen shortly after starting a flight and not always at a specific time. This also seems to then cache the newly loaded weather because even restarting the flight or sim doesn’t restore the better looking clouds. Haven’t tested this properly though.

This could indicate that the pre SU7 Meteoblue cloud stream is still being received but somehow modified client side. METAR blending is the most likely culprit. Instead of only affecting clouds near airports it changes the global cloud rendering.

I keep forgetting to do this myself, but before testing remember to enable Nvidia GeForce Experience Instant Replay or AMD equivalent to capture the last 5 minutes of gameplay containing the switchover. Managed to capture the following screenshots instead

4 Likes

Sounds like a glitch or bug…is there a way to forward this post to Asobo?

1 Like

They are at ultra setting. It’s only sometimes they look like that for me. Especially in the morning. They are much more formed together. To me they look much better than those small puffs of cloud that we often see after su7 that also looks mostly the same all the time. In the morning i can often see much more varied cloudformations. I think Asobo should focus to fix this inconcistency.

6 Likes

Now i recorded the switch. It happened 2 minutes later this time 09:06 local time 07:06 zulu time.

Will upload the full approach into ENBR and you will notice how good the weather is pre 07:06Z today. It’s 50 minutes long. Take some time to render and upload. I change it into 1080P to make the upload a bit faster. I landed at around 06:45Z and needed to wait for the switch to happen at 07:06Z.

Hope Asobo find the issue. I want to have pre 07:06Z weather all the time without switching into generic type of weather with those towering clouds you can see in the video after 07:06Z.

6 Likes

So what happens if you go flying at say 12PM, and you have weather as you have identified, and you drag the time to say 6:30AM?

I will have same kind of weather because it’s the servers that sends the weather. I had live time to show when it is happening.

That’s what I thought. So you are saying 7:06 real world time, when the weather is delivered to the client?

1 Like

Exactly, that when the switch happening. Then it’s like that all the day. I don’t know when the switch to pre 07:06 weather happening though. I had no switches besides that at 07:06Z/07:06UTC

Can recommend flying the hour before 07:06Z real world time :wink: Totally different weather experience. And a thing to note is that this is a switch i have noticed. For sure there is more of those switches during the day.

I think this post describes what is happening well.

Here is the full approach into ENBR. It starts where it switches. Still processing into HD though.

5 Likes

We need to get this to the attention of Asobo!!

This is the only reason I have stopped using the sim. The weather is so BORING these days. Always the same clouds, all the time. The video shows just how dynamic and beautiful the weather used to be.

THE PROBLEM: this “switch” might itself be the bug. i.e. we are NEVER supposed to see the old clouds… so instead of them reverting to the pre-su7 system for all the times of the day, they might actually do the opposite and fix the “bug” and remove the good clouds altogether.

I still believe it is intentional. At that specified time they switch to “simplified” clouds, to save server bandwidth or something like that.

11 Likes

My feeling is that they change the weather to be more broken apart to show the scenery/terrain more. After that time i mostly get broken clouds all the time and feels the same all the time. Well, whatever it is i want them to fix that. The weather they have pre that switch is what i think we all missing since su7. I don’t want to have those switches. We didn’t have those when the sim were released 2020. Feels like a big step backwards. I thought the weather system should improve not getting worse.

I also hope Asobo notice this thread, i think this is the issue we all have seen since release of su7. It’s hard to report the issue because it doesn’t happening all the time. This is a switch at a specific time but as you noticed that specific time has changed 2 minutes since last time i noticed it but i could still predict the switch. Who knows if the switch happening 07:04 or 07:06Z tomorrow but around that time it will happen i bet. But i can’t know for sure.

I’m looking forward to see pre su7 weather again without switches.

7 Likes

Wasn’t there an old bug that was only relevant at a certain time? I seem to recall one anyway but can’t remember exactly, I wonder whether this issue is related to that somehow.

More evidence required from different users should get the attention of the Devs, unfortunately I never fly that early so chances are I’ll never see the sudden change myself.