Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

Could it just be placebo effect?, just saying mate.

Trying Wilmington right now:

it looks extremely messy and unrealistic. :cry:

1 Like

yes, thatĀ“s metar - in my test I saw the same - where should I post it here or in the ā€œLive weather degradationā€ ? or I post it there and make a link here !

1 Like

It could indeed just be placebo effect. But generally even in the screenshots you have there, it seemed incapable of producing even that when I first tried it on release, so maybe although to me it seems ā€˜betterā€™ it is still a mess.

1 Like

guess here is fineā€¦devs seem to be aware of the issues so Iā€™m just posting images now to confirm everything seems to remain the same. Others are reporting some improvements but I would bet it might just be placebo and/or just coincidence

@utd4life12

Not looking better for me, LOWI metar reporting visibility of 10km or more, in sim can barely make out the terminal from the runway.

4 Likes

Yes thatā€™s exactly what METAR does at all if you canā€™t display the ā€œcorrespondingā€ cloud types ! - where the station is currently something like ā€œovercastā€ ā€œor whichever cloud covarageā€ is reported - and then it is interpolated (between stations or whatever) - because of this only apparently these cumulus clouds can be displayed you see what you are here - well I was hopingā€¦ !

2 Likes

Yes i noticed that when I tested LOWI earlier also, did it also have snow everywhere too?

Maybe mate. At least there seem to be some, more or less, well shaped cumulous, but the messy translucent, round and puffy clouds are still all around everywhere, and far formations detail is extremely low, nowhere near how it looked pre-su7.

1 Like

I really hope itā€™s because it IS buggy. It would really be a shame to go back to how FSX/P3D rendered weather. Because flying in pre-7 weather made you realize even more how limited those engines were. Even with the help of Active Sky it never felt and looked like a breathing dynamic and interactive weather system. The weather is one of the top 3 reasons I canā€™t touch P3D anymore. I donā€™t care how correct the numbers were in relation to the current real-world numbers. I care about the experience.

9 Likes

Absolutely agree!

100% agree!

Prior to SU7, weather was updated twice a day by Meteoblue, using the forecast models published at 00z and 12z. METAR is obviously updated at the least every hour in the real world.

No one has ever explained how often the METAR in the sim was being updated, but i think we do know it was pulling METAR information from a different location, so Iā€™ll assume the METAR was always current.

So problems arise when youā€™re trying to blend 12/24 hour forecast data with much more current METAR data if the conditions turn out to be vastly different. Iā€™ve never really encountered vastly different weather, but Iā€™m sure it happens.

The best way to overcome that is to provide updates more than twice a day, which as an affect would let conditions be closer to whatā€™s reported in METAR and youā€™d have less discrepancies.

Does anyone know how often weather is updated in the new system? How often METAR is updated in the new system? I consider @HalberQuacky the weather expert around these parts.

1 Like

Right now Iā€™m doing Manchester - Malaga. Iā€™m currently over the bay of biscay. I can see that MSFS is TRYING to depict the weather how it should be. Below Iā€™ve put a picture of the irl cloud coverage, and marked an X for my location in MSFS. You can see that you would expect scattered cloud to start building to quite a large area of overcast. I can see in MSFS it is trying to do this, it just doesnā€™t particularly look the best in the way itā€™s done it.

Anyway thatā€™s not to say I donā€™t think it is still bugged, it clearly is. But in this flight I can observe that itā€™s trying somewhat to get it right.

I think it arise when implementing local reports with global reports.

And local accurate METAR canā€™t get the global reports and predicted meteoblue weather canā€™t get everything predicted.

In my test flight now Iā€™ve just experienced my first sudden harsh transition of weather, but it was the upper winds. Flight plan winds showed the winds at the waypoint Iā€™ve just passed should have been 054/22, but in sim winds were around 340/19. Then all of a sudden, winds change direction and are now showing 050/21, which is what they should be.

Iā€™ve had this issue since before SU7 though.

Thatā€™s why personally Iā€™d rather allow for discrepancies in ATIS and focus more on getting the live weather to resemble the real world weather. Just as irl, ATIS is just a snapshot and conditions can be different once you arrive anyway, the same should be in the sim. Use ATIS as just one tool out of many.

I use Windy as my primary weather tool and look at cloud coverage, winds, etc to plan. ATIS is just a small part of a bigger picture.

2 Likes

Yes, same here :slight_smile: and also use it when testing the weather depiction within MSFS

2 Likes

On meteoblue radar this looks more like a layer of cirrostratus. But they are completely missing from the picture.

Agree on that. Hope many realise this too. ATIS exists because the weahter changes all the time.

Could well be indeed.