Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

To be fair, it was never mentioned by any of the devs the the new weather system is solely based on METAR. The forecast models are still used and METAR is now supposedly blended into the Meteoblue model to supplement the forecast.

1 Like

I know that but why do i get METAR circles injected in the sim then? If meteoblue do not inject any clouds or fog and METAR says fog i get those circles. That is not believable or realistic.

Because it is very poorly blended, but blended nonetheless .

But how can that be blended in a correct way and look realistic?

Erm, have you actually read what I have written?

Yes, that they should not implement it until itā€™s fixed :blush:

yes and I said it is not blended correctly, so I donā€™t understand your question, saying how can it be blended correctly? It isnā€™t.

1 Like

whatever or whichever solution is aimed at, I donĀ“t know is this only a bug or the ā€œnewā€ approach for the future - but if it stays like this, I will unfortunately stay away from MSFS - I have changed to MSFS, but thatā€™s just the way it is.
Unless a solution comes along that Iā€™ve seen before SU7 or even improved upon, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll have to cut my nearly ā€œ1000ā€ hours (incl. Alpha) short. And I think Iā€™m not alone - Iā€™m having similar discussions with my ā€œoldā€ sim buddies and one of them went so far as to delete MSFS from the disk yesterday (a bit exaggerated but ok) ! But if you are like him (or me) who also switched to MSFS because of the weather look (among other things, bought new addons even though you have a sea of others for other SIMS), well then I can imagine that you are a bit frustrated. Of course itā€™s not the end of the world, there are worse things in the world and these here are not ā€œrealā€ problems, no question, but as he said - ā€œafter the stressful work I was always looking forward to a relaxed round in the SIM, somewhere in the world or on my trip and now I donā€™t even feel like starting the computerā€.
Well wait and see, drink tea if not better then hope for XP12 !

1 Like

Sorry, my bad. But i think itā€™s real hard to blend that and be believable. I think it was good how it was pre SU7.

1 Like

It was better then 100%, but the injected weather was still not matching the forecast data it was supposed to be coming from, and therefore just returning to the previous system does not solve the issue, the previous system also needs serious improvement.

1 Like

Exactly the feeling i got after the winds got static in SU4. And now this too.

And also, the previous system would need to include visibility/fog/haze/mist/whatever depiction.

And also, the clouds themselves need improving, sometimes grainy, always have horrible pixelated edges, colours not good, often just a blanket colour. Stratus clouds very poorly depicted.

Are you talking about the issues that plagued us late last year and earlier this year? The forecast hour issue has been fixed for months.

Beyond that, knowing how the weather system actually works is key to determining what to expect. If youā€™re trying to compare exact cloud heights and exact wind directions and speeds, I hate to say that itā€™ll almost never match one to one.

The live weather is built on forecast models that are updated twice a day. Within that forecast model are 12 different forecast hours broken up into segments across the entire globe. Weather ā€œadvancesā€ in the sim on an hourly basis until the next weather update. Clouds and precip may be off by an hour or two for any given area depending on when youā€™re flying. METAR prior to SU7 was only used for temp, pressure, and winds (for airports that reported it). Clouds and precip (along with temp, winds and pressure for non METAR areas) came from the forecast model.

Really the only way to check if live weather is working correctly is to compare the cloud coverage on the world map with the current forecast from Meteoblue. If all the storms and cloud coverage appear in the correct positions, the weather is accurate within the limitations of the system.

For instance, if you expect it to be raining at an airport and itā€™s completely clear skies for a large area around where youā€™re flying, then yes thatā€™s an inaccuracy. But if it says rain at a particular airport and in the sim it either hasnā€™t reached the airport yet or itā€™s already passed over, or thereā€™s showers in the vicinity, thatā€™s a limitation of the forecast model system and an inaccuracy Iā€™d consider acceptable.

4 Likes

Before SU4 they varied on the ground as it should be. Now they are almost constant in a 2kts variation. That is not realistic either. The winds also where more dynamic before they implemented METAR based Winds.

Donā€™t confuse how the weather system is supposed to work with how itā€™s currently working, which right now it doesnā€™t seem to be working as intended.

Weā€™re currently in a state of brokenness with weather. We shouldnā€™t assume what weā€™re seeing now is how itā€™s intended to work

2 Likes

Whilst I agree with you, there were instances when it was still too far off, even towards the very end of the timeline of this previous system. The weather being a huge gripe of mine, I spent far too much time scouring the forecasts and the sim to find discrepancies.

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™ve been experiencing. Iā€™ve noticed fluctuations in speed and direction. Usually within 10 degrees or so and a few kts here and there.

I think we compare to much than enjoying it. I hope they manage to fix it soon though.

Maybe, but when flying VFR with GAaircraft, it is important to be able to check the weather to see if things like icing will be a problem, or even being able to complete a flight. There were numerous times when I checked conditions at the intended destination airport and the meteoblue forecasts showed VFR conditions, but upon arrival (if I even got there due to icing bugs) it was overcast and certainly IFR.

1 Like