Weird issue / Internet / MSFS 2020

Ok, one more question please
Do I need to change the DNS on the router or on my Windows ???
LE
Right now, I have no internet, I’m using my mobile phone with MOBILE DATA
I tried to ping my IP, google.com and 8.8.8.8, everything looks good
Here are 2 printscreens
Ping 8888 ethernet status
I can’t understand why the internet isn’t working now

You only need to change the DNS on the router. Flush the dns on your pc and restart it.

Have you tried updating your network drivers? You would likely have to go look for them on say the Intel site.

Yes, I did
It’s so weird, as I said last night, when the internet is working very very slow, I can ping 8.8.8.8 or Google.com with good results
I played today about 10 minutes ( testing only ) and no issues
There is another thing I can’t understand : my router has the firmware 07.13, latest version
But the latest version is 07.20
On the router interface there is no UPDATE option
The ISP said, they already updated the latest version but that’s weird
If they did, the router would have shown 07.20

Yes, disable anything called teredo filter. Teredo is often used on windows games. That isn’t something you’d want to filter out, and could very well be the culprit.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to open the Microsoft XBox companion app and use its settings to test the network. If taredo isn’t working it will complain about it.

I would not listen to the ISP at this point and take over management of your own device. If there is a firmware available and your device isn’t running it, I’d update to it. That is pretty much step 1 when you have a SOHO router not working as expected with some weird problem no one can explain.

I’ll try it again tonight when I get home
I can’t update the FritzBox because there is no UPDATE option
If I receive the fritzbox from the IPS, there is no such an option
Weird…

FritzOs 7.21 should be the latest, released in March.

It really sounds like you do not have full access to the device. If you can see no administration options, like firmware update, or factory reset, etc. then I’d feel strongly they are giving you less than full access.

I can do a factory reset
I have all the options, only the UPDATE isn’t available
I’ll try right now, the Microsoft Xbox companion app, and I’ll attach a screenshot
Thank you

Here is the printscreen.
Could you please, have a look ?
By the way, before I start the MSFS 2020, do I need to have this app open, or some other Xbox apps ?
Thank youXbox companion app

That looks as expected. If NAT type was strict, I’d expect problems in multiplayer P2P games.

No, you don’t need to leave that open to play MSFS2020. It was just to verify teredo is working. If it wasn’t, this screen would’ve noted that.

So, everything looks good in the printscreen ??

Could anyone help me please ?
I’m trying to open some ports on my router but I’m not sure how to do

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_xbox/xbox-app-say-nat-type-open-but-server-conectivity/b53270b2-ceb7-4063-a5af-d77b82e23e2a?auth=1
When I add a port, I have many options, like HTTP, FTP, HTTPS, etc
Which one do I need ?
And the last phrase I didn’t understand

" Pick a port number between 49152 and 65535. If you don’t want to pick one, just use 60209 "
Where do I need to add this ??

Should I try to assign a static IP?

Would that help?

If yes, where exactly? On my PC or on the Router ?

Thank you

Yeah, every thing looked good in that print screen.

Setting a static IP won’t change anything really. But if you want to try it… your router should already have its own static IP. That would be the IP address you use to get to its web UI. By the way, when your Internet is out, can you ping that IP?

If you want to try setting a static IP, that would be done on your PC. But you have to make sure the IP address you pick is on the same subnet as your router’s internal network (usually 192.168.1.x) AND you MUST make sure the IP address you set on your PC does NOT fall within the range of DHCP addresses that you routers DHCP server is configured to hand out.

If you don’t understand that and get it right, you will end up potentially duplicating an IP address with another device on your network – and if you think this problem is driving you nuts, well, a duplicate IP can be hard to track down.

Speaking of duplicate IPs… can you be sure that there are not devices on your net that already have static IP’s that fall within the DHCP range of your router?

What I would guess is happening – and all I can do is guess without seeing things myself – is that your cable modem is losing its lock on the signal. There should be lights that indicate the signal state, and I’d almost bet money that when your network is in the broken state, those lights indicate a problem. The line into your home might have deteriorated and the signal is not as strong as it should be. Then when the Internet is hammered hard for an extended time, that pushes that weak signal a little too hard and lock is lost. Usually, you can find a place to see signal strength in your cable modem device’s management page.

I would urge you to focus on signal lock, and not on static IPs or trying to open a firewall port.

Because you are not having the same problem as in that link you posted in your question about opening a firewall port. And the question you ask indicates – no offense intended – that you just don’t understand enough about networking to be trying to open a port.

But if you must try opening a port: https://portforward.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/

That said, if you have to open ports to get MSFS2020 to work then there is something seriously wrong with your router or its configuration. Because it should not require NAT gymnastics for MSFS2020 to work.

One thing I would recommend, is to disable IPv6 on your entire network. Disable it on your router, and then on your PC in your network adapter settings, uncheck the protocol “IPv6”.

And of course there is always the possibility that another device on the network is misbehaving. I would recommend to turn everything off except your router and your PC. Then test and if the problem doesn’t appear, then power up one device at a time and re-test.

Or, its a bug in the firmware of your router . If you cannot confirm the latest firmware is running on your router (which it sounds like that is the case) and your ISP says they applied the latest, then you have to press them to find out why they say that but you see it not running the latest.

Can I PM you later today when I get home?
If I remember correctly, I have seen my PC name, 3 times in the router interface
For example, my PC name is Aviattorre
There is 3 x Aviattorre
Is that normal?
I’ll check later, for the IP’s, on each
Thank you very much for your help

Absolutely do not turn off IPv6! FS2020 uses this technology, if you don’t have ipv6 you have to run Windows Teredo protocols which are the bridge between IPv4 and IPv6 technology.

Thanks, PATNoe, I’ll enable it
After I do that, do I need to enable or disable the Teredo filter, on the router interface?
I have this option, there

My theory is your ISP is throttling data being streamed to your IP and your being prioritized lower based your data usage (and MS FS usage patterns), which is causing the extreme latency.

Networking is dark voodoo magic though so defer to the more expert opinions in this thread for options to try.

1 Like

A workmate has the same router, same internet speed ( 1 Gbps ) and living in the same city, about 2 km away from me. He has no issues with MSFS, he said
About 10 minutes ago I closed the game, same issues
I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 / google.com / my IP, and everything looks good
My IP - ping details
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

In game : I was testing, some bush flying, and I went back to main menu, to replace the aircraft
After I selected a new location / aircraft, the message appeared
" Internet is low …etc "
Ignore / Turn off photogrammetry

AlienDjinn, I don’t know if you’re right or not, but if I download some large files for a long period of time, I have no problem. I mean, 80-100 GB or even more
When I play MSFS, ultra details, 4k, for about 15-20 minutes, how much GB would it take ?
8 ? 12 ?

• Does your friend have the same ISP?

• Do you have any other system or network firewalls you could try disabling?

My spider sense says it’s your provider wanting to punch your usage pattern in the face, based on some QoS algorithm.

If your buddy could bring his system over for a test that might be an interesting tie breaker.

The school of hard knocks debugging tech issues has taught me that Sherlock Holmes was right when he said:

”If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

-Alien