Went from a 4080 to a 4090….results

By my results, it’s 10-20% over the 4080 but overall smoother in that 10-20%.

What is more important for you, the fps gain of 10-20% or the overall smoothness e.g. at low level flights in towns or landing/departures at airports.
Is your 4090 most of the times close to 100% usage or sometimes below it? Thank you.

Overall everything is pretty great. I’ll check usage later tonight and see what it’s doing. I am assuming you guys are getting that from task manager of windows?

I get it from MSI Afterburner tool - A great tool to see Average fps, (low, and high fps),power draw, frequencies, usage (e.g. of all cores and GPU), temperatures and some more. Youtubers use it a lot when they do comparisons between CPUs, GPUs in order to show results.

In addition - especially for RTX 4090 - with the tool you can save around 20% of power draw of the rtx 4090 with performance loss of less than 5% to none.

I can recommend to try it out - maybe watch some youtubes like Undervolting GPU and

How to Display FPS, GPU, CPU Usage in Games

I did a quick flight from KCLT to KATL which is about 180nm. In the air GPU is running about 70% utilization. Low 50 FPS. On the ground in ATL I expected higher usage but was about 54% utilization. Had 30-35 FPS there on the ground. Max utilization over the entire flight was about 88% but I am not sure at what point I hit that other than I’m sure it was on the first part of the journey because I first checked it about half way through the flight and it had already reached that peak.

CPU MAX utilization was 100% on 7 of the 8 cores. 1 Core max was 84%. I didn’t check it in flight.

If the price difference between readily available 4080’s and 4090’s were only $400 I may have been tempted to go for the 4090. In my experience the price delta, at least in the US, is closer to $900. I can order a 4080 from BestBuy today and get it within a week. If I want to actually order a 4090 today, and not be at the mercy of the drop gods, I’m looking at NewEgg prices of between $2000 and $2200.

1 Like

You just have to be vigilant. I got on a twitter feed that tells you when the stock drops and that is how I got mine. BestBuy so far has the most reasonable system for keeping the GPU scalpers at bay. Be logged in and ready to rock once that drop notification comes. Also, game stop doesn’t drop often but when they do, most people don’t even think to look there. I could have had 5 4090’s from there one night. Stock stayed there for at least 20 mins.

Having to be vigilant, and jump through hoops, to get a GPU is just not something I’m willing to commit to. Drops typically happen while I’m at work, so the notifications aren’t something I can respond to.

The 4080 was far more convenient. Place the order, pick up a week later. The 4080’s going to give the the level of performance in MSFS and Blender that I’m looking for. The extra performance of the 4090, is for me, a nice to have, but not a necessity.

4 Likes

Here in Australia 4090’s are readily available, if you have deep pockets. A quick look at the major online retailers in Oz all had cards in stock…but the prices average around the $3,500AUD mark (with the cheapest I saw being a PNY card at $3,200AUD) which equates to about $2,200USD to $2,400USD and above.

Looks like there was a drop on New Egg earlier today for a $1700 4090 which after 2hrs still seems to be in stock. Doesn’t surprise me though after shooting my mouth off about 4090 availability. All in all though I’m happy with the 4080.

Scorptec currently are running specials on a Galax 4090 for $AUD2899, and a Zotac 4090 for $AUD2999, both seem to be in stock. If you are happy to go for the “smaller players” brand-wise and look for deals you can pick up a 3090 here “off the shelf” for under $AUD3000 . Still not cheap though. Outside my budget.

1 Like

Tell me about. I put some money aside for nearly a year to get a 4090 on release day. Cost me $3,500 Aussie smackeroos at Computer Alliance for an Asus TUF OC. Great card though, which runs surprisingly cool. Could have done without the melting power connector scare though, although mine’s all good.

So, is 4090 really that better then 4080? I can get ASUS TUF OC 4080 for 1575€. What do you think? Is that a good price?

This is crazy. This game is starting to be FSX 2.0
If there is a question about a 4080 or 4090 for MSFS, then there is a problem with the Game.
So nothing that we buy will work until they fix the game.

Here are the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 System Requirements (Minimum)

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or better.
  2. RAM: 8 GB.
  3. OS: Windows 10 64-bit.
  4. VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX 570 or GeForce GTX 770 or better.
  5. PIXEL SHADER: 5.0.
  6. VERTEX SHADER: 5.0.
  7. FREE DISK SPACE: 150 GB.
  8. DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or better
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX 590 or GeForce GTX 970
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 150 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB

It’s not the PC it’s the game.

2 Likes

Neither minimum or recommended requirements specify “while running at all ultra settings on a 4K monitor or Varjo Aero” .

Minimum basically means with all settings at lowest possible the game will still load on a 1080p screen.

2 Likes

The 4090 has more VRAM for DX12 and runs about 20% faster than a 4080, if memory serves me right. The Asus TUF OC mode is a bit of a rip off, as it only offers a tiny increase in performance over the non OC, 2565 vs 2595 MHz boost clock and 106% power target in GPU Tweak. You could do that OC yourself on the non OC version. I could only get the OC model on release day. The non OC performs just as well for less money.

1 Like

True
If people have a 4080 or 4090 the game should run like a champ.
And a lot of people don’t need 4K to play however it should be a smooth performance experience if you have a 4000 card.

1 Like

Well if they have a current gen i7 or i9 or AMD equivalent and enough ram you would expect so yes.

I used to have pretty much recommended specs i5 8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX2060 and got stutter free 35-40 fps at 1440p so I think the recommendations are OK so far as it goes.

I now run an i9 9900K and a 3070ti with 32 MB and basically get 44-55 fps at 1440p instead.

It is worth noting that my 9th gen 9900K has very similar performance to the 12th gen mobile i5s in our laptops at work. Things date rapidly,

Funny thing is that Asus TUF OC model here is cheaper then non OC model. :slight_smile:

I have a i5-13600 and a Pico 4. Would I need a 4090 to boost open xr so I get resolution simular to HP G2 ? Or can i get by with a 4080?