What CPU is the best CPU available that is needed to avoid CPU bottlenecks?

I am running close to max out settings on 1440p specs are i5 8400 rtx2060super.Seriously I know the sim isn’t well optimized but I am literally supposed to be GPU bound on 1440p

Simulation paused

1 Like

That depends on your budget, i have the i5 10600k and that runs the game smoothley (I play at 4k and ultra settings, getting 30-40 FPS with a 1080TI, no stutters). If the price is no argument try to get the i7 10700k or the i9 10900k. But you will also have to upgrade your mainboard too, if you choose any of those.

2 Likes

Yes I know a motherboard upgrade is required. I will wait and give it sometime. Going to upgrade end of the year but I am not doing anything less than the 10700k or 9900k
I will also check AMD

1 Like

Yeah waiting is definitivly the smart move as of now, because AMD releases its new processors next? month, so maybe they are way better or intel has to drop prices again

1 Like

I will look out for those AMD cpus first.My plan is to upgrade the CPU first mainboard, ram etc. May be upgrade the GPU next year.ATM I am very CPU limited

9900k runs the sim very well. I have it paired with a 2080 with 32gb of ram and my performance has been good.

2 Likes

That’s good.I am going to wait for AMD new CPUs

1 Like

as of right now, 10900k with HT disabled should give you best performance. Don’t quote me on HT disabled tho :stuck_out_tongue:.

a decent overclock will help too, I’ve heard of a guy who got his 10600k to 5.8ghz @ 1.5v on a chilled water loop. Phase change liquid cooling could get you past the 6ghz mark daily, which will finally bump your MSFS framerates from 10 to 15 (if you are lucky)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just gained like 4-5fps OC the GPU.I wonder how much of a difference a 10900k will make in terms of fps and performance stability.
My i5 8400 is now two years old.

Check your devmode to see CPU and GPU frametimes. You can see what framerates your CPU and GPU are capable of from there,

2 Likes

Using a Ryzen 5 3600 paired with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi X570 mainboard. 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram. WD Black 1TB NVMe SSD. Aorus 5700XT GPU

The system is solid and I have no lag, tearing, stutters, or artifacts… that I’ve noticed. Runs at 60fps without any issues at all, with 35% CPU load and 60%-65% GPU load. I have noticed that as the sim progresses it uses as much as 10GB of ram, so the 32GB spec is a good way to go.

3 Likes

I am struggling whether i should go with AMD or INTEL system. (Please no fanboy wars!)
Priorities are FS2020 but also other flight sims especially in VR.

I’m thinkin i9 10900 or r9 3900. I am lazy updater so i seek for longetivity. I usually upgrade GPU at mid point, planning to do so with next computer too.

How i see it:
Intel i9 = best performance on these applications, period. But the difference is just 5-12%. How ever, that is quite significant with FS2020. Also oldest tech, no pci 4.0 support (will be a factor with future 50x0 nvidia cards for example?)

AMD R9, Supports pci 4.0 and is HUGELY faster with proper multicore support, but will we get that in flight sims in the near future? And if we do, will the GPU then ALWAYS be the bottleneck in real life?

I feel that most gamers are choosing AMD these days.

1 Like

About three hours after buying this game I ended up upgrading from a i7-7700k to an i9-9900k. Honestly, I probably only saw maybe 5-6fps increase from that which was a little disappointing but I was going to upgrade my machine slightly soon anyway so I’m not too fussed.

I actually got a considerably better increase in performance when I went from 4x8gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RAM to 2x16gb of Ballistix 4000mhz RAM.

Just for reference I am also running a 2080ti.

1 Like

And there is a reason to choose AMD, it is really the more modern plattform. Many are in your position right now, and yeah the smart move in GPU and CPU is to wait. Intel had always had an advantage in games, with Ryzen 3000 that advantage is very small, just a few fps. Ryzen 4000 has a good chance to win that gamers crown and have all the efficiency and technological advantages. So if you have enough selfcontrol to wait 2-3 month… wait. :blue_heart:
PS: With all that limitation issues around cpus at these days it makes additional sense to wait, cause we do not know if they can get rid of that world thread(s), meaning if there is proper usage of X cores. And as long as we do not know X and how fast Single Core needs to be…

Don’t forget… it’s an open beta!

3 Likes

What is the name of that overlay tool to display the usages? THX

MSI Afterburner

1 Like

The in game tool is in general options and is enabled by clicking Developer

1 Like

I don’t understand why people with high spec computers are having problems I have a 4 year old computer which I swapped the graphics card for a Gtx970 approx 2 years ago and added an ssd. I also had to change the power su The spec is now an I7- 2700x processor 16gb runs at 1600mhz and the GTX970… I use two monitors a 28 inch 1920x1080 and a 32 inch 2600x1440. Because the specs were so low I signed up for the game pass just to try it out. .
I wasn’t expecting much but it automatically set the graphics on medium and I flew the Cessna over London to try it out There were no stutters or anything at all so I went to high settings with the same result. I went to task manager to see what was happening ,/The cpu was running at just over 30%,the gpu was at about 75% and the only thing that appeared to be pushed was the memory at 14-15 gb.
I upped to Ultra and this time the gpu was on 90% usage but outside town and flying low it once again drops to about 75%. I went back to high because I didn’t want the graphics card to be pushed too much
I tried it at various times and weather effects and it still runs smoothIy have not yet tried the airliners so I can’t comment when they are used. I just don’t understand all these problems because according to some of these comments I should be getting stutters on low settings. The only other difference and I am fairly certain it is having no effect is that I am on Windows 10 version 20H2 which is not due for general release until Autumn

1 Like

Cause it’s not that simply. Complex simulator → many variables that interfere :shushing_face:

Went from 4790k to 10700k and… wow what difference.

1 Like