What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

I can do it with my eyes closed as well, as long as the automation doesn’t interfere lol. I don’t understand what the thrust lever does when auto thrust is engaged. I try to slow down, so move the lever down a bit and the engines go all the way to idle. I lose too much speed, so I push the lever up a little and the engines go full blast, causing over speed warning.

I guess I need to ignore the lever and set the target speed on the dashboard. (or just turn auto thrust off, so much easier without) I have reverse thrust mapped, love it. Spoilers, reverse thrust, bit of braking and first turn off off the runway.

ATC is a bit useless. It was directing me to way points I can’t see, nor know how to input where. I don’t know if the A320 has a map. My solution was to keep asking ATC for a vector and deducing where the waypoint is from multiple ‘measurements’ (since it’s always too late once you complete the turn to the given heading)

Fun puzzle to do it the proper way. Much easier just to use a gps map.

Its an airbus so the 1st thing to remember “You dont fly the plane, the plane flies you” The thrust lever is more of a setting selector that what your thinking a throttle should be. If you have it set for one position, look at the mfd on the left top left, you’ll see it says something like climb, as you ease the stick back you’ll see climb change to something else think its idle, the next postition should be speed. etc

So when you want to slow down you dont touch the throttle, you change the speed on the autopilot instead. So you want to go faster, spin the airspeed dial to the right slower left, if you move the throttle to much, the plane will thing you want to fly and shutdown the AT, just like if you have the AP running and having it set for a heading and altitude, if you grab the stick and move it the AP will shut off, because again the plane thinks that you want to fly.

So basicly once your AT and or AP are set you change heading/course speed and altitude on the middle panel on your display.

As you take off and switch on the AP the A320 might turn the wrong direction at 1st but it will correct itself with out intervention from you. Did used to do that think its a bug I know its been reported as one.

Oh yeah you may already know this one, but the faster you are flying the wider your turn will be.

Anything else while Im still here lol hurry Im running out of stuff to read!

ATC navigation points thats another class that will will cost ya $20 merican ROFL

1 Like

Back in the olden times, we only had paper maps, and I learned to use the dme’s for figuring out where I was on a flight, had the flight maps, a grease pen, a clipboard, and a plastic over lay (so you didnt mess your maps) to plot your course. I kind of miss those days, but they quit giving us paper maps and such and I quit flying like that.

1 Like

My ‘tactic’ early on (earlier versions of flight sim) was to fly over the airport first, then make a turn to line up, sort of like a traffic pattern although I had no idea what a traffic pattern was back then. Of course you first need to find the airport :slight_smile:

I played with dme’s once, yet the lure of a moving gps map was too strong. FSX had the little cones on the gps map (ILS approach), line up the little plane with the ILS cone and land.

I just did my first ‘proper’ flight in the Daher. Quite and extensive checklist to go through. And I’m not sure why it kept giving me a warning about the inertial separator which the checklists clearly want on. It all worked, entered the pattern, proper clearance, landed at the right runway. I might not get shot out of the air just yet :slight_smile: (I did use the drone to locate the correct runway lol)

1 Like

Going back to the A320 later tonight, to play with the buttons (as long as the dashboard doesn’t bail on me again). I used the speed control all the time in FSX in the 737-400. That 2D dashboard made things easy. At 1080p the middle panel is kinda fuzzy, got to zoom in a bit. Err, correction, I was looking at the wrong thing, middle panel ‘2’ is loud and clear! (Virtual horizon display is a bit hard to make out the numbers)

I noticed it turning in the wrong direction first, but indeed corrected right after. The hardest part is letting go of control and trusting the plane to work. (ptsd from the release version, I had to cut fuel to the engines to land as a glider on release, always got stuck on full power)

Shot some video flying over some parts of Tokyo with some Japanese inspired mods after watching the Olympics opening ceremony :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heading 128deg from Kolkata in a Savage Grravel.Thought I’d combine two Microsoft products for this screenshot (MSFS and Image Composite Editor):

Hey man, cool livery! Which one is it, please? i want it too! :heart_eyes: :grin:

Arrived at Bangkok for a tour. Wat Pho you ask?
Nice landmark but the grounds could have used some work.

1 Like

A previous trip looking for bush flying in Northern BC. Flying Dease lake and Telegraph creek. There is a water airport at Telegraph creek but the lake is full of trees. I think it is time for a Canada update and put some focus on bush flying strips and throw in a Beaver so we can hit these lakes. Some of the terrain reminded me of Flight Simulator 98, the first version I had.

1 Like

Our Cessna 152 Great Lakes loop flight to ledgedale airpark was successful I did one to Buffalo Lancaster NY and getting ready to do Buffalo Lancaster to Chautauqua County NY

Still waiting to go to Rio, but I has not launched yet :joy:

Have you made flying Totoro yet?

I took the day off… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tried the A330-900 ( neo ) that is an “upgrade” of the A330-300 of PMP. It is visually a JEWEL, even waaaaay better than the original PMP model, but the flight model and cockpit could use some upgrade too.
I am aware, it’s a freeware, it is just a suggestion to make it even better than it already is. I just think with that level of details on the body of the aircraft, a little touch from FBW or alike, for the cockpit and/or flight model, it would efinitely make it a VERY good plane !
Flight: LFPG-LFKB

4 Likes

And here a few shots of the beautifull details on the outside structure:

1. speedbrake details

2.slats detail…much thinner and realistic than those from PMP model

3.structure details

4.reverse,spd brakes and flpas detail
2 Likes

I’m really starting to get into airliners. I did a flight plan based on a real flight from Edmonton to Toronto with live weather (kinda nasty here now)

Live traffic, live multiplayer really livens it up. ATC reporting traffic in sight along the way and then it got real hectic at Toronto. I’m still not sure how soon I have to start my descent from 39K ft, I always seem to be too late once ATC tells me to descent. How steep (ft/min) is ‘normal’ to decent?

Anyway, I had to declare a missed approach on the first attempt, too high. ATC send me around and let me enter the pattern again. Then it was suddenly rush hour with multiple air canada flights coming in. I was 2nd in line, following far enough away, on the glide slope, nice and slow.

The flight in front of me declared a missed approach, all clear for me I’m thinking. I’m on the final stretch, about 10-15 seconds from touch down and ATC calls for me to go around. Full power, back to positive climb, retract landing gear and publish another missed approach. Well if they would give me a chance to speak haha.

Another Air Canada flight had to go around, meanwhile instructions keep going one after the other, traffic in sight calls etc. I’m already halfway back to ONGOX before I can get a word in. Back to short final, behind a generic flight again, and this time no more go around calls. One of my smoothest landings yet in the A320, reverse thrust, and safely off the runway.

For some reason the taxi ribbon wouldn’t show so I kinda guessed where to go. I probably parked at the wrong gate, eh, they can walk. Ramp connected, baggage lost (not surprising “we can’t locate the baggage”, It’s Pearson lol)

Awesome flight, tense landing in live traffic!

2 Likes

the rule of thumb that works for me… and apparently the real world, as I got this from 320simpilot… take the altitude you need to lose and drop the zeros 35,000 = 35 then multiply it by 3.

so… 39,000ft to target 4,000ft

35x3 = 105nm should be your start of descent.

remember to either add 10nm (making it 115nm) or to calculate it to the waypoint before you meet the GS.
then allow for wind… +/- 5-10nm does the trick if you have a strong head/tailwind

I gotta say… it feels really really good when you calculate it, and descent to meet the glideslope perfectly… without excessive low level fuel burn with flaps deployed

So far, I ALWAYS calculate it… then I double check TOD in the simbrief flightplan, and I know what to expect and if ATC is leaving too late.

another really good tip… 3degree glideslope is your airspeed halved (plus a zero). 500kn = 2500ft/m. 180kn = 900ft/m

it turned out handy to double check performance, but is about the only way to calculate descent rates for approaches greater than 3degrees

further… remember at FL100 you have to level out to slow down. Your descent looks much greater than 3 degrees, but it averages out.

5 Likes

Not Totoro (as I don’t think he actually flies) but I did try a Catbus once :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Great tips! I’ll ask ATC for a lower level when they seem to leave it too late again.

Let’s see where ATC puts me this time, next adventure awaits

I just left for NY before the storm hits in full force, it’s busy at the airport