What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 1)

Did some old-school no-GPS steam-gauge IFR work. Wow - didn’t realize just how much I had forgotten! We’re spoiled by modern systems and automation that make things so easy. I have regained my appreciation of the skill and knowledge aviation took without GPS, autopilot, etc. Three hours of no-GPS navigation, holding, penetrations, approaches, missed approaches, diverts, etc. Totally immersive and a great refresher!

2 Likes

trolled the forum.

4 Likes

Took the 172 along the length of the Hawaiian island chain. A long but beautiful flight!

Logged a couple of hours in The art of Rally… oh wait, wrong forum.

Plan on doing a couple of flights today, starting off in Blanding Utah, making my way up north towards the beautiful Arches national park, then following the hightway east towards Denver. Should be able to do a couple of touch and go’s at Aspen, before heading towards pike’s Peak and finally landing at Denver International, or some other little airport that’ll pop up on my radar as soon as i get close.

Also noticed a 747 flying over my house for the second night in a row… turns out on Flightradar24 that it was a carrier pigeon from Cologne, heading for the USA with packages from a big packagedeliverycompany :wink:

5 Likes

I did nothing in MFSF today or yesterday, nor will I do anything in it tomorrow or the next day unless we have a weather system that works.

@AtcDude1992 It looks like your map has different information. There is no route Warsaw-Moscow.

This morning took the Icon out along the coast from NIce, France (LFMN) to Villanova d’Albenga, Italy (LIMG), stopping to get its feet wet in Monaco and the obligatory Icon and yacht screenshot.

Currently a third of the way though my next RTW leg in the TBM - Arba Minch, Ethiopia (HAAM) to Asmara, Eritrea (HHAS)

1 Like

You’re right. Warshaw - helsinki - moscow it is😄

1 Like

What did I do in MSFS today? I tried to download and install the “Bug-fest”!

I just had a lovely flight through the mountains of western North Carolina.

Taking off from KGEV flying 256 to join the Holston Mountain 190 radial V53 to Sugarloaf. Flew down to the BUSIC intersection (095 from Fiddlers NDB), then headed home to KGEV by tracking back towards the ASHEE NDB, being careful to stay just outside the TFR for the App State football game.

This is a fantastic little triangle as you go right by some of the highlights of the area including Mount Mitchell, Grandfather Mountain, the town of Blowing Rock.

I’m quite proud of myself since I did it in the C152 without touching the VFR map or any of the assistance features (not a pilot). The only annoying thing is the ADF needle keeps flashing between two directions?? I think it is a bug. And the TO/FROM indicator on the OBS didn’t light up.

4 Likes

Intentionally got myself in weather trouble in hilly terrain in the Shock Ultra, and practiced using ForeFlight’s artificial horizon, synthetic terrain, and profile view to get out of it. Awesome training for those flying VFR who may need to recover from an inadvertent weather situation!

2 Likes

What did I do in MSFS today? Well, actually nothing.
I am browsing the forum using a tether from my phone to connect to the internet.
We are in the hurricane sally landfall location and just got power back a few days ago.
Internet from MEDIACOM is STILL OUT and will be for some time although they say they are 90% back up… ha Starting MSFS without internet requires the Disc so I cannot even start it…
Needless to say, I am having MSFS Withdrawals.
Come on Mediacom get some help in here.

I’m actually still sitting on the ground at KGEV watching the sunset. I reset into a TBM, I think I want to wait a bit and takeoff on a fairly long, high-altitude run to check out the night lighting and see if there has been any improvement (I know, I know). I just don’t know where I should fly to…

I flew from Prudhoe Bay to Kavic River camp to see if Sue Aikens was there. In case you don’t know, there’s a TV show called “Life Beflow Zero.” It’s a reality show about people who live in remote Alaska. One of the reality stars is a woman who runs a remote air strip on the northern slope. It’s a refueling station approximately 75 milles away from the nearest people, and 300 miles from the nearest road.

The camp was there, but looked absolutely nothing like it does in real life. No quansa huts, no trailer buildings. But there appears to be some nice single family ranch homes - right out of Anytown USA.

Decided I’m not even trying this scenery simulator again until it becomes a flight simulator.
We need aviation systems and planes that work as they should. Everything but the most basic VFR has some sort of bug. IFR is ■■■■ near sure to screw you before the flight is over on almost every plane every time.

3 Likes

Well I finally got my Alienware Aurora R11 PC and got MSFS installed on it. Have been tweaking various settings and am starting off with the Bush flights…really enjoying things right now. Probably won’t mess with much IFR until some of the kinks get worked out but for me there is plenty to do for awhile.

1 Like

Nice! I’m thinking about upgrading my PC to an Alienware.

Yes, VFR flying is awesome in MSFS, and there is tons of IFR that works well, too. I’m really enjoying old-school IFR without GPS, autopilot, or any automation.

Enjoy!

What did I do today? Took off from Fiji before dawn to check on something obscure and technical, and while I was up there tried to find the Southern Cross in the sky. Couldn’t locate it, which wasn’t that surprising, since I’d misread the map, and probably wasn’t far south enough to see it. And probably wouldn’t recognise it if I did. :confused:

My second flight was over Wyoming, nosing around in the jet stream at 30,000 ft in the TBM, and getting all shook up in the process. Given the amount of excess power I had (known turboprop bug) I decided to see how much higher I could go. The TBM is rated to 31,000 ft, but was still going up like a rocket at 34,000 ft when the plane started making rude comments about oxygen masks, which put a stop to that lark.

Planned a VFR trip dead-reckoning with a paper sectional (remember those?), plotter, and E6B. Flew the trip, and amazed at how real it all felt, especially as I had done that trip for real in the past. Gave myself bad weather enroute, and had to use steam-gauge IFR to get to my destination. Hard work, huge fun, and so immersive. And I didn’t have to spend five bucks a gallon for avgas!

3 Likes

Planned to do some plane spotting in LAX, but CTD 3 times after a minute there…