What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

I re-created a scene from a famous 1980’s movie :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Now, if you could do it like Topper Harley…

1 Like

“Just lost a wing…”

“…there goes the other.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Took the Longitude from Luxembourg Findel (ELLX) to London City (EGLC):

I wanted to try my new rudder settings on a proper flight using the Longitude and though there was just no ATC online, I had a nice flight. Didn’t much need to use the rudders in flight or even at landing, but I do get better at taxiing with it. However I had to learn that they do not work while I try to move the camera with the mouse…

Full video later here:

5 Likes

Took the SWS Vans RV10 on a flight across parts of Southern Alaska, trying out the new Navigraph sectional charts. Took off from Seward PAWD, along the coast till I spotted an interesting glaciar, and followed it West, then cut North West towards a lake.

On my way across Tustumena Lake, I was even able to make out the cabins the charts said would be there. :+1:

Copyright © 2023 Navigraph / Jeppesen

Hugged the Easterm coast of the lake while continuing to head North West, to arrive at Kenai Municipal PAEN.

4 Likes

you should try Vatsim!
It is the very best ATC!
Real pilots and real controller!
No computer voice which ruins your descend

ZPPP to Hong Kong late last night in the Fokker f28 4000

actually referring to the dogfight with Couscous, Taboule, and Hummus…ah, the Abrahams humor.

The Great Polish Map of Scotland

The what? Yes, there is indeed such a thing. Not only of Scotland, but in Scotland. I didn’t know it existed, though I’ve been here longer than it has, until it featured in a BBC News web article this morning.

The story is this: a Polish serviceman stationed in Scotland in WWII stayed on at the end of the war and in the seventies found himself running a hotel, the Barony Castle Hotel, in the village of Eddleston in the south of Scotland, which is about seventeen miles down from Edinburgh on the A703.

To thank the Scottish people for the years of hospitality he’d enjoyed (and presumably, as a hotelier, given) he decided to build in the grounds of the hotel a large concrete map of Scotland, which, with the aid of other Poles, he did. And there it stands to this day, albeit requiring frequent maintenance, on account of the weather in Scotland being, well, Scottish.

This is what it looks like in real life - or at any rate, Bing Maps’ version of real life:

So what would it look like in MSFS? Having checked that it could in fact be seen in the World Map, I decided to go and take a look. But which plane to choose to do it? Ooh, that’s a hard one:

In fact, the Great Polish Map of Scotland has come out quite well for what I presume is the stock satellite imagery:

Though the Barony Castle Hotel itself hasn’t done quite so well. I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing if MSFS 2024 is any better at this sort of thing.

I decided to take a closer look. Obviously there are limits to what you can expect but this actually turned out better than I, at any rate, was anticipating.

Not what I was planning to be doing in MSFS today but fun nonetheless.

11 Likes

Talk to me, Goose!

1 Like

Little circuit from La Mole down to Monaco and back, in the Robin Cap 10.

6 Likes

Oh, they’re not kidding about “maximum continuous power”… :smiley:

DH-110 Vampire out of PHNL

5 Likes

Hong Kong to Pudong in the Fokker f28 4000

1 Like

Ferrying a C-47 from Santa Monica, CA to England got a late start on the last leg in the states and flew into the evening… next leg takes me into Canada

9 Likes

I started with a roundtrip from Virginia Beach (42VA) to New London (W90) and back in the Lightning, mostly to verify some data I generated. My numbers were close on the outbound leg, but my true airspeed assumption on the return leg, which I’d interpolated after my test flying yesterday, was way off. So, it’s back into the air another day for some more experimentation.

After I got back to Virginia Beach, I jumped into the Military Aviation Museum’s Tiger Moth N6463 (marked as RAF T-5525 and available at flightsim.to thanks to Propblur) for some aerobatics and pattern work. I’ve never really flown aerobatics, so everything I know was learned from books and videos, and my performance demonstrates that I need to read and watch more! At least my landings were nice, especially with the stiff left crosswind blowing back at the field.

Here’s N6463 parked next to the former RAF Goxhill’s watch office and control tower at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach. Yes, that’s the actual building that once watched over P-38s, P-47s, and P-51s at the first RAF airfield turned over to the Americans in 1942. It was transported, original bricks, fixtures, and even toilets, to the U.S. where it was painstakingly rebuilt and opened to the public. You can read about it at Wikipedia and the MAM’s website.

I found this girl sitting at the museum’s replica World War I hangars behind the watch office. While the markings aren’t accurate, that’s supposed to be JN-4D N6898C. Overall, I can’t believe this scenery package, like it’s British counterpart at Duxford, is freeware! The only thing missing is people and those little details that would really bring the field to life.

That’s all I had time for today. Now it’s time to pack a bag and head to work again. Bye for now! :wave:

8 Likes

Pudong to Seoul in the Fokker f28 4000

2 Likes

I chopped a couple marshals into little pieces for loitering in front of my Cessna at a Class Delta airport at 6 a.m.

They WONT… LEAVE…

Heh. I picked KMRY for the first full test flight in the new SR22T and I got hammered by the Stabilized Approach for being more than a half dot deviation for flying the course manually during the last segment to the threshold. System definitely keeps you honest. The FIKI worked well during penetration and descent, and the Anti-Ice Warning reminded me “Hey dummy you’re too slow for the FIKI to be running.” Not to mention CAS Warnings on Fuel Imbalance - yeah I forgot to switch the tanks, again.

It’s such a great improvement. Now I can actually tune the radios thanks to the fully functional keypad.

10 Likes

I flew the '350 between San Francisco Intl and San Diego Intl, enjoying nice real weather along the way. The '350 is my favorite default turboprop aircraft, which I enjoy on the Xbox S. I like its performance, and also that it has cabin views which I have saved to a two button combo on my controller.

I enjoy loading flight plans for it, and its cruise speed fitting between the CJ4 and heavier jets but also its small field performance.

I have the route saved as a flightplan so I can enjoy it with all my aircraft, the California air corridor between the SF Bay Area and Socal is known to be among the busiest in the world, and there is always a lot of active real traffic in the sim.

2 Likes

What better to do with no ATC online than to give a difficult airport a go, so I went for Madeira, afterall it has REPUTATION as a difficult one. And yes, I’ve proven it :sweat_smile:

I forgot to start Volanta, so no landing numbers this time, but it was about 250fpm. But that was not the worst part of the landing by far…

By all means it should have been a go around. considering I saw the rinway lights just below the minimums, then I turned wrong on the runway, so I was misaligned and to top that I didn’t even touch down with wings level.

Full video a lot later here:

5 Likes