What did you do in MSFS today? (Part 2)

Took the Asobo 787 from Seattle (KSEA) to Calgary (YYC). Very happy with the PD Upgrade.

3 Likes
2 Likes

There is a big crater in Canada, (the Sudbury astroblem?), that contained a massive deposit of asteroidal nickel and supplied much of the world’s nickel requirements for decades.  I don’t know if it’s still active or not.

Thank you for sharing the link
hope to to check it out soon
pretty hectic atm but hopefully b4 the NY.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check that out.

1 Like

Can you please share a Google map pin? Thank you.

1 Like

I’m not sure where it is, I read about it back in the 80’s or thereabouts.  I remember it’s in Canada and I believe it’s called the “Sudbury Astroblem” - but short of doing a web search, (hint!), that’s all I remember

Couldn’t find it, that’s why I asked you.

1 Like

Did some plane spotting at Toronto (CYYZ)

That’s all I could find.

1 Like

Interception practice. :wink:

5 Likes

First entry when doing a duckduckgo search:

Looking at the tear-drop shape of the crater, the asteroid must have been both humongous, traveling at a tremendous rate of speed, and traveling at a relatively shallow angle on impact.  (It scrubbed an approach, tried to do a go-around, but didn’t pull up in time :wink:)

3 Likes

Thank you, sir. I am indebted, and humbled.

1 Like

It is not one lake or crater, it’s the entire basin. That’s why it doesn’t look like a crater.

1 Like

Also because it’s ancient by comparison to other impact sites.  I read an article on craters back around that same time and it mentioned that the entire Chesapeake Bay region is actually the remnants of a GIGANTIC, (as in “extinction event” sized), impact crater formed zillions of years ago.

You’d never know if you didn’t look at it from space, and have a good imagination.

Found some huge volcanic craters

Kelimutu Volcano, Indonesia - it forms two lakes the colour of which is different from the other.

Taal Volcano inside Taal Lake, Philippines - a lake within a lake and a crater within a crater

Mt Pinatubu, Philippines

Mt Batur, Bali, Indonesia

Mt Beratan & Danau (Lake) Beratan, Bali, Indonesia

9 Likes

You are right. There are many more such craters but they don’t appear as craters. Either there are cities within them or fields today, or just forest. Hence, they do not appear as craters as we form a typical image in mind.

1 Like

I’ve been flying around using my new Turtle Beach Velocity One Flightstick that my son gave me for Christmas. I’m enjoying it, especially the trim wheel! Flying toward Portland (PDX) in the rain, I finally earned my Hydroplaning achievement.

2 Likes

@ZILLNIAZI17 @Jimrh1993,
Please take this into a private message.

In the spirit of this topic, focus on posting images of your flight.

2 Likes

You are right. Sorry about that. However, it was related to a post.

1 Like

I was merely trying to suggest other interesting craters to explore.