What do we like doing most in MSFS?

1. Learning to fly new and interesting aircraft … “ by the book” or seat of pants :slight_smile: ; Helicopters, gliders, high performance fighters, 4 engine behemoths, light kit planes?

2. Going places and sightseeing ; with all the eye candy now, msfs is an incredible platform for cinematics, but more than that, using planes to get from A to B in the style we want…and seeing places we never thought possible !!

3. Flight school prep : ATC, IFR/ Hard IFR, Navigation.

4. Flying the heavies or the commuter workhorses? Simpit builders focused on one make model to the exclusion of all else….

5. VR…. the next level of immersion?

6. Moaning about fps, ctds, update woes ( not that they aren’t real issues ) :slight_smile:

7. Flying in live weather, multiplayer

8. Scenarios !!!

9. Challenges

So much to do, so little time!!! Where do you spend yours???

2 Likes

Flying the Hawker Hunter and performing at air shows.
[Yes, I do live in my own little world of make-believe and I know it] :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Whatever it is, gotta be VR!

4 Likes

Well the current trend seems to be “dissing” the ATR, as evidenced by the hundreds of posts in that topic.

2 Likes

From a quick count in the bugs section it looks like generous souls have put some time into reporting around 100 issues with the ATR.

If that makes the aircraft better, then I’m all for it, although just moaning about it in a forum is far less likely to get it done.

Hopefully the devs will find a fix for all or at least most of the reported bugs and everyone will be happy again. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I like doing GA flights that could generate revenue in the real world. I’ll either make up an air taxi scenario and use the DA62(X) or 310R, or a cargo run with either the Kodiak or the Turbo Porter.

1 Like

That’s interesting. How do you choose your specific routes? Do you have a particular area that you like to work in?

I have a few common routes like Dominicci in San Juan PR to Princess Julianna, or just about anywhere in Hawaii. But I also like flying from Galveston or Corpus Christi to San Antonio. California, Washington, and Alaska are also area that I’ll visit now and then. I generally fly daytime VFR and real time/weather, so European flights have to be done early in the day unless I cheat. That said, Innsbruck to Sion is a fun flight, but you have to have a plane that can handle ice well.

3 Likes

I tend to sightsee. I’ll pick a region of the world and fly from airport to airport in various planes from my hanger. I’m concentrating on airports which aren’t ones that I’ve been to previously (I use ourairports.com to track the places where I’ve landed). I just finished a loop around Panama at the tip of Central America and am working my way back north.

5 Likes

Sailing (I’ve learned navigation/familiarization of so many waterways thanks to the MSFS’s accurate terrain)
Formation Flying ( Just something about admiring GA/fighter planes up close while in a tight formation flight)
Caribbean Island Hopping ( So many islands to cover all with their own mood and sunset views)

All in VR of course!:grin:

2 Likes

Turboprop regional IFR flights on VATSIM or Pilotedge. The Black Square King Air is my main workhorse but the new ATR has replaced it for now as I enjoy flying real world routes with the correct livery and callsign.

I don’t really enjoy simple VFR flying anymore. It’s too simple and uneventful unless you fly in southern California on Pilotedge. VR was fun at first but it’s too hard to fly IFR without being able to look at charts on a second screen, copying clearances etc.

1 Like

At the moment I am really enjoying doing some charter work across the states in the HondaJet.
Flew from LAX and SLC the other day and about to take some clients across to DEN soon.

1 Like

Having good, believable, ATC makes all the difference. I fly exclusively VFR on PilotEdge myself and I enjoy it a lot. I’m not from the LA area in real life (although I have been there a handful of times), so flying “my” C172 there is a chance to explore. Negotiating my way through and around the rabbit warren of airspaces in the LA basin makes VFR navigation quite fun. That can be a bit intimidating at first (it was for me), but one can start out flying in simpler airspaces outside the LA basin and work up to it. I’d encourage anyone to try it.

3 Likes

Flying the PC-21 in VR. Short IFR flights(<2hour) and just admiring the world from above :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, VFR in the LA or SF area on Pilotedge is harder than flying IFR.

2 Likes

Random flying, touring the skys. BUT of most importance : My favorite thing to do is “the challange of landing”. I love to land at random airports or where ever I feel I can fit the plane down. Note: I only fly the A320 and C152. :wink:

2 Likes

Fly beautiful scenery for one hour and then edit the clips for 2 hours :sweat_smile:
Every time again I like doing it. :innocent:

4 Likes

Haven’t loaded the sim since like update 3. Just updated and plan to get back to it.

I am based a bit north of Pittsburgh and I took the 172 out from home and after exploring the home town (I landed the drone camera underneath the group of trees next to my father’s grave) I headed north to follow the bicycle ride across NY state I did the previous year. After checking out Presque Bay on Lake Erie I headed across to Niagara then to fly across from Buffalo to Albany following the Erie Canal. I was watching out the window recognizing the trail I rode and all the stops we made.

Flew down to NYC to sightsee and from there plans were to follow the coast down to Florida. Currently my plane sits in DC area in FSEconomy and that’s where I will come back to. Did quite a few community flights, but haven’t gotten too far in my exploration in the 172.

Plans are to get to Florida and then start following Josh Flower’s route he did on his YT channel coast to coast comparing what I saw in videos to what you see in the sim. Been watching him on YT since he first posted videos of his flight training. After I reach the west coast I’ll fly his more recent trip around the Grand Canyon area before heading up into Alaska to tour around.

That was my plans when the sim came out, but I put it away with other things happening in life as well as moving on to more casual game stuff now that I had a PC to play other things. Been farming quite a bit chilling out on the couch rather than setting up the whole flight sim setup as I’m in front of the TV in the living room so I set up and break it down each time.

I had never been serious with the actual flying the airplane and plan to do more work with doing things realistically and correctly such as traffic patterns and such. Just got the sim all updated and ready to set the controls back up for flying.

3 Likes

In answer to the OP, I do all those things, except for whine about FPS. I have better things to do with my time than stress over nothing. As long as my interaction is relatively smooth, I’m happy. I haven’t tried the Challenges yet, either. The most important to me is practicing flights where I will actually fly to. I’m absolutely blown away how well the sim matches reality. I’ve been simming since 1987, and I am shocked at what we have here today. One other thing I’d add is I love to develop addons for the sim and make it even better.

Well, regarding how long I’ve been simming for… I suppose you could go back to when I was 4 in the '60’s, when my parents got me this :slight_smile:

Why the eye roll? That’s the spice of life, having dreams and acting on them, no matter what the form of action!

8 Likes

Hey! I had one of those, too.
It makes me realize that MSFS is also a make-believe world just like that one. Always has been. It’s just that the level of imagination required is a bit lower now.

3 Likes