What do you prefer to fly and why?

I have noticed that the amount of liveries available for each plane varies greatly. I think this may reflect the popularity of certain planes. So I have been wondering which planes people prefer to fly and why?
Let me give you my own example;
I have progressively scaled down and now get a lot of pleasure out of flying a C170.
The reason is that I have recently found a lot of enjoyment in just flying around at 3000, toodling along at less then 100nm and just enjoying the scenery. I suppose it is the equivalent of people taking their real planes out on a weekend to just go for a flight.
No flight plan. Sometimes when I spot an airport I may decide to land.
It is just very relaxing. But thats just me at present.
Others may prefer airliners, or other jets, high altitude.
It might be interesting to read why and it may even prompt others to make a change.
We all have our preferences. Mine, lately is just free flying low, over the scenery.

6 Likes

I like gliders.
It takes a lot of technique to climb above 10,000ft without an engine, just updrafts, and it’s great fun when it works.

9 Likes

The Honda jet, because it’s drop-dead gorgeous. It’s darn near study-level but being single-pilot certified, there’s a lot of automation.

1 Like

How do you do these trail visualizations?

1 Like

I totally changed my flying since leaving P3d and coming here, it’s a whole different ball game. i just fly old stuff like the DC3 and no jets any more ,maybe later .and hardly ever go above 14,000 feet and mostly all vfr . I basically had to relearn how to land cause the air files are so different .

2 Likes

those mountain images are amazing. I must try this.

1 Like

I love flying the A320 for distance flying and the Cessna 152 for touring and and landing on smaller airstrips. I don’t fly any of the other aircraft.

3 Likes

I fly the CJ4 mostly. I like the looks of business jets in general, and it allows me to be hands on without being overly complex (once you get use to the updated version). It also has my favorite third party livery, which you can get here.

2 Likes

Ever since it was released, the Beaver with floaters is my one true love. It has an engaging but not too complicated startup sequence (wich weirdly is important to me) and it gives you that low level VFR old fashioned kind of flying.

I usually take off from Anchorage with a set destination along the coast of Alaska in mind but then I visually/GPS make my way, going down one valley just because it looks pretty. Also, given that it has floaters, you have the freedom to land just about anywhere.

I just wish they would fix the fuel system related keybinds not working.

That being said, I do enjoy the King Air 350 because it has the right kind of mix between flying a computer and hand flying for me.

4 Likes

GA aircraft and helicopters for me. Mostly the Blackbirdsim 310R or the Cowansim B206.
Nothing against jets/commercial aircraft just prefer to fly slower and lower really.
That said as good as some third party aircraft is, it is also still a little lacking as well. Looking forward to the A2A Comanche when it is released.

1 Like

The C170 had been my favorite plane for quite some time. I got totally distracted by various airplanes and my beta testing often gets me flying aircraft I wouldn’t necessarily fly for my own reasons.

However, the beta has finally wrapped up and yesterday I flew the C170 for the first time in awhile. I flew from KEKA to KHAF and immediately was reminded why I love it so much — the raw essence of flight. I love the way this plane trims and its spartan functionality (I always keep the Garmin Aera hidden). With no autopilot, I have to fly it and I love that about it.

2 Likes

The H145 and MV-22 Osprey. Haven’t flown fixed-wing in over a year. I can fly ‘low and slow’, stop and hover over interesting sites and land almost anywhere.

2 Likes

The 747. All the way back to the early days 80-90’s I had so much grief learning it but today, I’m an old hand and can do a loop to loop in it and land it all in one motion. I’ve made successful landings at PARO. She’s big turns like an old whale in mud. Graceful and is instantly recognizable. Love it.

Cheers
PACO572

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’m in Alaska. Fly the DHC Beaver Anphib. Also fly the a320 Airbus on long flights.
Fly the F-18 Hornet, for a little bit of fast flights.

1 Like

Nice to hear all your motivations.
I’m actually flying the TBM. To my attitude, it is the best compromise between speed and GA sightseeing. The piston Cessnas, that I flew to get the rust off after years of no flying, are to slow for moving from Italy, where I live, to the rest of the world. Now I can balance between IFR for quick jumps to new areas to discover and GA style flights throttling back the TMB and enjoy the landscape. I already visited the States and now I’m waiting the days to become longer to fly Eastward in daylight. I always fly real time, real weather, real everything. It gives me the joy of flying without the risks of it. If you are more than 50s like me, you know what I mean. I had a good share of real life GA flying when I was in my 20s.
Have fun, whatever you fly!

3 Likes

The view when you are able to ascend without using the engine is very wonderful.

1 Like

The following three software programs are required.
・Kinetic Assistant (Kinetic Assistant - Touching Cloud [OFFICIAL MOD PAGE])
・XCSoar (https://www.xcsoar.org/ )
・Google Earth Pro (Earth Versions – Google Earth)

You can also use a website that converts GPS log data (.igc) output from XCSoar to Google Earth format (.kml).
igc2kml.com(https://igc2kml.com/)

Please refer to the following video for the configuration of “Kinetic Assistant” and “XCSoar”.
How to: MSFS - KineticAssistant - XCSoar - YouTube

When you fly with “Kinetic Assistant” and “XCSoar” running, GPS log data (.igc files) will be saved in the following folder.
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\XCSoarData\logs

If you convert the igc file to kml format at igc2kml.com, you can view it in Google Earth.

2 Likes

I have been flying FS since the Sublogic days, which obviously meant we weren’t spoilt for choice with aircraft and scenery. It was also back in the days when VORs and NDBs were everywhere, so that made me learn to use those for navigation, so light GA aircraft it was. Cut to P3D days and I was concentrating on airliners and fast jets as lets face it, a lot of scenery was just cut and paste, so with long haul commutes or low level flights meant not a lot of difference in what you were seeing outside the cockpit. Now with MSFS 2020 I do what it seems a lot of us do, enjoy the scenery and the VFR aspects that come with it., so have been doing a lot of GA flying again. In saying that, I do like the complexities of our newer aircraft (TBM 930, etc) and becoming proficient in using the glass screen avionics and the basic GPS systems and like the speed of those more advanced aircraft for those short hop commutes. I do have multiple add on Military Fast jets and love flying those around. I absolutely love the sim more than ever. I am an Xbox and don’t seem to have any of the problems that a lot of users are reporting.

3 Likes

Discus and Wilga 90% of the time. I just started to learn gliding and I like it very much. The Wilga is my childhood favourite plane (I spent a lot of time among gliders growing up) and it is a very good quality plane with so much love and care poured into it.

1 Like

Exactly.

I typically fly small, slow, GA aircraft like the diamond DV-20 (Katina) because it’s easy to see all the scenery.

Sometimes I fly some of the other aircraft I have, bit it’s usually low and slow.

IMHO, flying at 30+ thousand or so, youight as well be asleep.