What in the sim determines permanent damage and initiating the 'game over' screen?

Curious because every once in a while I land too hard or [I think] overspeed a dive. I think it would be nice to still have control of whatever wasn’t permanently damaged and try to make an emergency landing or see a fireball instead of the game over screen.

You could get FSRealistic and hear them scream :slight_smile:

I have damage turned off because I use some of the replay tools, so I haven’t seen the crash screen in a long while. Last time I saw it, there was no indication of what caused the fatal crash or ending of the flight.

It would be nice if there was description of the cause. Example: over speed, airframe damage, etc.

And as you mentioned, perhaps a button to continue the flight.

It is rumored (I don’t believe this has ever been confirmed officially, but it sounds plausible to me) that we will never see official damaged aircraft because these aircraft brands are licensed and the aircraft manufacturers don’t want MSFS to show a twisted fiery wreckage featuring Airbus, Boeing, and Textron Aviation.

Again, I’ve never heard that from official sources, but it sounds plausible to me.

That being said, there are some Wishlist topics that may interest you:

2 Likes

Ive seen indicators after the screen goes black inside the popup box but the explanations are sorta vague…

Hit an object
Overstress
Over speed
Etc…

Thanks, that’s just the thing I was looking for.

1 Like

It was like that in many driving / racing games over the years where car models were officially licensed with the stipulation that they were not to be shown damaged or wrecked. Hence why so many driving games had zero visible damage on the vehicles. Pretty much a standard thing, really.

I have no doubt it’s the same when it comes to MSFS.

1 Like

and if so, it tell us a lot about the Licensor companies and that they all kiddy us :wink:

Its nothing wrong that a “simulator” show also a burning engine, show a overstressed material damage, a broken landing gear, whats ever… If we never get a usefull damage model, we have only a sunny-day simulation. I fly DCS too and I knew what it means to handle such stressfull situations and how land a damaged airplane , also without running engines ( which is not possible if we see these immersion breaking black screen ). Of course I simulated some situations in MSFS too, simple shutdown the engine and land, but it is not the same :slight_smile:

Moved to #self-service:aircraft-systems